Live From The Water 2022

WNYBuckHunter

I thought about going on lake Champlain but seen -20 on thermometer and said no. Took all day to reach out high with the wind blowing like crazy. Maybe another day.
I can deal with really low temps, but I despise the wind!

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Wind chill is the worst. 0 degrees with no wind and sun isnt bad actually. Especially with a little Jameson in the bib pocket to keep me toasty. I have always wanted to bring out a little grill out in the ice, eat as we catch. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chrisw said:

I used to be a diehard in negative temp and wind drill holes sit on bucket or move hole to hole to find the fish. Got a 2 man shanty but no one to fish with so I make it out from time to time. Mr buddy heater. I like to fish with a partner now since I fell thru. My brother in law and his brother were walking a head of me I was pulling shanty then crack and took a drink. My brother in law saved me by grabbing my hand. We were in 12 ft of water just off shore. My Carhartt and muck boots would have sank me. If I couldn't get out and if nobody would have been around.

Wind chill is the worst. 0 degrees with no wind and sun isnt bad actually. Especially with a little Jameson in the bib pocket to keep me toasty. I have always wanted to bring out a little grill out in the ice, eat as we catch. 
If I'm out alone I don't bring the grill but if a few of us are going I'll bring it, it's always nice to have hot food out there. We ordered a pizza once and had it delivered to the parking lot and rode up on the wheeler to get it!

• Like 1

I used to be a diehard in negative temp and wind drill holes sit on bucket or move hole to hole to find the fish. Got a 2 man shanty but no one to fish with so I make it out from time to time. Mr buddy heater. I like to fish with a partner now since I fell thru. My brother in law and his brother were walking a head of me I was pulling shanty then crack and took a drink. My brother in law saved me by grabbing my hand. We were in 12 ft of water just off shore. My Carhartt and muck boots would have sank me. If I couldn't get out and if nobody would have been around.
Holy jesus.....that's scary as hell.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

-7° start to the morning. Fish were finicky all morning, ended up keeping 12 perch, lost one keeper eye at the hole, threw back some shorts. IMG_20220127_144730_769.jpgIMG_20220127_144730_905.jpg

Over by Sylvan there was a plowtruck out there clearing out an area.   I know they have some snowmobile drags out there in Feb. But def lots of ice.  Full size f250 with a plow on it.  

Lewis pt had been stacked with shanties.  

I could walk out there from the house but zero interest in going out there.  Freezer is well stacked with eyes and the legion has a great fish fry! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Wind ruins literally everything I enjoy doing. I should buy a sailboat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nooooo.  Sailboats are stupid.  I've almost been hit by them a couple of times had to dodge, duck,dip,dive and dodge to get away from it. 

I bitch about them all the time on the lake. Corey's son got a kick out of it. Who in this day and age has a motor on their boat and uses a bedsheet to move it?? It should be the last option not the first.  I'm against it, pet peeve. Lol. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 4:01 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Wind ruins literally everything I enjoy doing. I should buy a sailboat

Most of the time, I hate high winds (more than 10 mph) when fishing, but there are couple places and times where I like it, especially if it is warm and from the south west direction.  

I remember killing the walleyes on the Allegheny reservoir a few times, backtrolling into the wind in May.  The other is up on the St Lawrence River in the summer.  When that SW wind kicks up, the largemouth get real aggressive, and fall easily to spinner baits, slow rolled over the big weed beds, in the bays.  

My 17 ft deep v aluminum hull mostly sucks in the wind, but it does ok in those two scenarios.  It is horrible in the wind out on Lake Ontario, trolling for salmon.  I don’t even try that, when winds over 10 mph are predicted.  

I don’t love hunting in the wind, because it covers the sound of the deer’s approach.   On average, I probably hear four deer first for every one that I see first.  More than half that I see first, see me before I see them.  That makes killing them difficult.  I have been able to kill most of the ones that I wanted to, when I heard them first.  

• Like 1

Over by Sylvan there was a plowtruck out there clearing out an area.   I know they have some snowmobile drags out there in Feb. But def lots of ice.  Full size f250 with a plow on it.  
Lewis pt had been stacked with shanties.  
I could walk out there from the house but zero interest in going out there.  Freezer is well stacked with eyes and the legion has a great fish fry! 

I’m with ya. Zero interest in freezing while fishing any more. Best I’ll do is early spring for steelhead.

I’ll meet ya at the legion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 4:01 PM, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

And that right there is why I stay off of the ice. I went through on a sled once and lost one of my best friends to an ice related mishap about 5 years ago. If I never step foot on ice with more than 3 feet of water under it again, it will be too soon. 

• Like 3

The two things I don’t like about ice fishing are: winds and lethargic warm-water fish.  That means perch, walleye (neither of which fights worth a crap even in the summer), but also bass and northern pike, which loose most of their power in the cold water. 

It is fun, if you can find trout through the ice on calm days.  I am hoping for some brookies over President’s weekend.  I only ever caught one Laker, and it fought like crazy, as did a few rainbows that I have taken.  

I’ll probably have to settle for the usual dozen or so smallmouth bass and a perch or two.  The bass all go back, but they break up the monotony.  I don’t mind catching them, when it’s not too windy.  

37 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

And that right there is why I stay off of the ice. I went through on a sled once and lost one of my best friends to an ice related mishap about 5 years ago. If I never step foot on ice with more than 3 feet of water under it again, it will be too soon. 

Same up here on Black Lake. Lost a friend and his daughter on the lake. Was up there today getting stuff ready for tomorrow’s derby and there were sleds oh so close to the very thin ice of the channel. That’s when it gets dangerous when there is a skim of ice across the current and then snow makes it look like a frozen lake to the unknown. Lots of ice with 3 pickups side by side on the good ice. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 2:06 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Whenever anyone got my kids a kite I wanted to burn their house down

I'm not too keen on kites either...

In  fact,  it seems that every time I ask The Mermaid if she wants to get lucky, she tells me to go fly a kite....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Its the same brown, just wanted the pic with the long face. Definitely my biggest from that stream

What type of fly are you using at this time of the year? I’ve been trying here and there with streamers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk