Live From The Water 2022

WNYBuckHunter

44 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The same fly works well down here in Dogpatch, too....Except we call it the VPN.....The Varigated  Purple Ninnyhammer.....

I looked through dozens of fly tying books and I can't find that pattern Pygmy.... I won't even talk about what pops up in an internet search for that .:O

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got out on the ice yesterday afternoon.  By the time I got some stuff done around the house the wind had picked up.  It was blowing 17mph with gusts over 20.  Hit a bay in the Champlain Islands and picked up a couple meals worth of pumkinseeds and bluegills.  Not many fish around yet, but the ones that were there were nice.  Looking forward to late season.  There was over 20" of ice where I was, so we have a ways to go.

KIMG0234.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Finally got out on the ice yesterday afternoon.  By the time I got some stuff done around the house the wind had picked up.  It was blowing 17mph with gusts over 20.  Hit a bay in the Champlain Islands and picked up a couple meals worth of pumkinseeds and bluegills.  Not many fish around yet, but the ones that were there were nice.  Looking forward to late season.  There was over 20" of ice where I was, so we have a ways to go.

KIMG0234.jpeg

Solid haul! Pro Tip: have @Pygmy and @Robhuntandfish clean them, it really cuts down the time and effort

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok this is a new one for me, Fishing in Florida in Tampa Bay and I catch some weird fish which no one could identify, finally someone said it’s a Diamond Lizard Fish. I can check that off my bucket list.
A90E669D-0F27-42DC-83F7-9650CCC532B2.thumb.png.fafd76004a26cfd694d6dfdda9d70781.png
Looks like a walleye bred with a snake! The ocean is wild.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the last 11 or so days in Clearwater / St Petes.  Did a deep sea fishing trip out of John's pass and did well on grey snapper.  Also caught a few catfish off the pier in Safety Harbor and Kelly caught a ray about the size of a garbage can lid.  No pics of the ray as it broke off at the side of the pier .  All in all, it was an excellent trip with beautiful weather every day

catfish.jpg

grouper001.jpg

grouper002.jpg

grouper003.jpg

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Spent the last 11 or so days in Clearwater / St Petes.  Did a deep sea fishing trip out of John's pass and did well on grey snapper.  Also caught a few catfish off the pier in Safety Harbor and Kelly caught a ray about the size of a garbage can lid.  No pics of the ray as it broke off at the side of the pier .  All in all, it was an excellent trip with beautiful weather every day

catfish.jpg

grouper001.jpg

grouper002.jpg

grouper003.jpg

Never had a snapper I didn't like..... Probably a good thing the ray broke off...You didn't have to deal with it....hehehe...

Did you try eating eating any of the sea catfish  ?   I have always put them back because nobody seems to keep them, but after catching and releasing some more this spring, I did some reading on them and learned that some people had eaten them and said they were better eating than fresh water catfish...If I go back down next year I'm going to filet some up , fry them and try them...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Never had a snapper I didn't like..... Probably a good thing the ray broke off...You didn't have to deal with it....hehehe...

Did you try eating eating any of the sea catfish  ?   I have always put them back because nobody seems to keep them, but after catching and releasing some more this spring, I did some reading on them and learned that some people had eaten them and said they were better eating than fresh water catfish...If I go back down next year I'm going to filet some up , fry them and try them...

Most saltwater fish is better than freshwater fish. 

• Like 1

Interesting thought if comparing comparable fish….
Weakfish vs trout
Porgy vs Crappy
Striper bass vs LM Bass (maybe walleye)
Blue fish vs pickerel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You left off Brackish Sturgeon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 10:55 AM, Arcade Hunter said:

catfish.jpg

grouper001.jpg

grouper002.jpg

grouper003.jpg

Ive been going down to clearwater for the last 15 plus years and have fished every year. I even have a condo down there. Let me know next time you go there, Ill let you know of some good spots to hit. That pier in safety harbor is decent if you know where to throw

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Almost didnt go today because it was spitting snow, turned out to be one of the best days weve had in a long time! 6daa670f896fec69ffe36da11a627e77.jpg
1bba7016edc68841fed29e6f1d46cf47.jpg
369d703804df40470456a26a38b43d1c.jpg
2822b5bd7b3b5c794746efecc64986fe.jpg
ffe2c0f9947fdc54fb5ed6735e8986ab.jpg
2859dccb10bf4aa1eeed75c1f78c36ae.jpg
2aeaa9061d8ee52bb28ad9b45bc5fa2a.jpg
34f95c252768c3cff96720b3e999a125.jpg
c8b68486c20f283fb6efb764062eb6fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GORGEOUS wild browns, Tacks......I assume they were hitting on the purple ninnyhammers, as usual...

• Like 1