Live From The Water 2022

WNYBuckHunter

Hottest day of the year so far and I’m driving an hour and a half both ways for a 7$ gasket so we can get out on the boat today. My 150 yamaha is a 2019 with 822hrs and this is the first issue it’s ever had so I really can’t complain and I know it’s all part of owning a boat but it still frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Hottest day of the year so far and I’m driving an hour and a half both ways for a 7$ gasket so we can get out on the boat today. My 150 yamaha is a 2019 with 822hrs and this is the first issue it’s ever had so I really can’t complain and I know it’s all part of owning a boat but it still frustrating.

Good luck, I know how that goes.  Do you think it was an ethanol related gas issue ?  My 99 Johnson 70 still has the original fuel filter in it, and I have not ever had a fuel problem with it.  The only trouble of any kind I had was in 00, when it got a new power pack under warranty.   I have paid the extra 50 cents per gallon for ethanol free gas ever since it was available.  

That said, I probably won’t have time to get it out this year until regular bass season opens up in mid-June.  I did pull it up from the back of the barn, to the front, the other day though, and put the new registration stickers on it and the trailer.  

Good luck, I know how that goes.  Do you think it was an ethanol related gas issue ?  My 99 Johnson 70 still has the original fuel filter in it, and I have not ever had a fuel problem with it.  The only trouble of any kind I had was in 00, when it got a new power pack under warranty.   I have paid the extra 50 cents per gallon for ethanol free gas ever since it was available.  

That said, I probably won’t have time to get it out this year until regular bass season opens up in mid-June.  I did pull it up from the back of the barn, to the front, the other day though, and put the new registration stickers on it and the trailer.  

It’s never had ethanol in it so I doubt it. If anything it’s a design issue with the emissions crap.

It’s something I’ll start changing with every oil change, it’s only a 5 minute job and a 7$ part.

This being the first issue with that many hours I’m not going to complain, it gets ran hard and used a lot so eventually something has to go.

Got out yesterday on the willowemoc and only had one hit. For half the day i tried learning euro nymphing again, but Ive been having a lot of trouble with it. I really need to learn the sensitivity of it. Later in the day I switched to soft hackles and that's what I had my hit on. I was on the phone at the time and wasn't prepared to set the hook, but it was a nice trout. I watched that trout leap into the air about 10 minutes before. Not much rising going on yesterday, but I did see a few fish launch themselves out of the river after what I assume is caddis. Next weekend is looking really good, hopefully i can get on some fish

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Got out yesterday on the willowemoc and only had one hit. For half the day i tried learning euro nymphing again, but Ive been having a lot of trouble with it. I really need to learn the sensitivity of it. Later in the day I switched to soft hackles and that's what I had my hit on. I was on the phone at the time and wasn't prepared to set the hook, but it was a nice trout. I watched that trout leap into the air about 10 minutes before. Not much rising going on yesterday, but I did see a few fish launch themselves out of the river after what I assume is caddis. Next weekend is looking really good, hopefully i can get on some fish

I think research shows some larger % of food fish eat is in the lower 1/3 of the water column. I.e. fish don't eat much on the surface overall. So nymphing purists don't like it but indicator and weighted fly is a killer set up and easier to use imo.

I think research shows some larger % of food fish eat is in the lower 1/3 of the water column. I.e. fish don't eat much on the surface overall. So nymphing purists don't like it but indicator and weighted fly is a killer set up and easier to use imo.

Imagine how dry fly fisherman purist would feel with such blasphemy/truth!

• Like 1

Try euronymphing and youll give all your indicators to @crappyice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Kmartinson said:

I agree, I just need more time on the water with it to develop the feeling

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Try euronymphing and youll give all your indicators to @crappyice

If your talking about using an idicatior line of bright color no thanks. I'm not a purist, I like weight and float. Clear floats if it's clear water and white if the water is colored up. Also with weight you don't have to be so anal with mending the line. I try to be effective, idc about orvis status. I floss in Pulaski too a couple times a year and I use barbed hooks. No shame here.

1 hour ago, loworange88 said:

Evening folks.  I got the boys out again for fishing.  Once again, my youngest is out fishing me and my oldest combined. He got two decent large mouth and a 21” walleye on Oneida Lake.  We’ll have the walleye tomorrow for dinner.

4FDBB1B0-F3B5-44A2-AEAA-02F4C4459607.jpeg

2F3E701B-86CF-4C70-B4DF-4B40F902ABD9.jpeg

AD6CE76D-FD0B-4E0D-A035-B47150AE4663.jpeg

B858BAB1-986D-4200-87E6-333CE2D11B97.jpeg

13C7ACF2-51CA-4C5A-838B-09C2501776E3.jpeg

That's a happy dude right there 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Imagine how dry fly fisherman purist would feel with such blasphemy/truth!

Are these guys still using horsehair line also? Who has time to remember the names of the hatches and tying them on the bank when im busy tonking them on the head and filling the creel.

It's funny where guys draw the line.

I also like using my 9'6" St. Croix with 8lb. Floro and hand tied marabou jigs. Gasp with an okuma spinning real, in my defense at least I don't hold it upside down and crank backwards.

Every one do your own thing! I'll bring coffee can full of worms if that's what I need to get it done. 

In all reality I don't keep too many from the streams, and I really love running cold water.

If your talking about using an idicatior line of bright color no thanks. I'm not a purist, I like weight and float. Clear floats if it's clear water and white if the water is colored up. Also with weight you don't have to be so anal with mending the line. I try to be effective, idc about orvis status. I floss in Pulaski too a couple times a year and I use barbed hooks. No shame here.

Im not a purist at all I use weighted flies lol, ditching the indicator gets them in the zone earlier and keeps them there longer and you will detect more strikes and lose fewer flies. I do use barbless and have not noticed any difference as far as losing fish. Huge difference in getting them out of the net and my fingers though!

• Like 1

Are these guys still using horsehair line also? Who has time to remember the names of the hatches and tying them on the bank when im busy tonking them on the head and filling the creel.
It's funny where guys draw the line.
I also like using my 9'6" St. Croix with 8lb. Floro and hand tied marabou jigs. Gasp with an okuma spinning real, in my defense at least I don't hold it upside down and crank backwards.
Every one do your own thing! I'll bring coffee can full of worms if that's what I need to get it done. 
In all reality I don't keep too many from the streams, and I really love running cold water.

You are missing some tongue and cheek I think. I bust guys ballz because I prefer to catch trout on dries (who doesn’t!) and am incapable of catching them on nymphs or (dare I say) euronymphs. I catch far less (or fewer?) fish than those who euronymph (aka worms and bobbers) but I don’t care about numbers (or points on bucks-enter FSW and Bizzy)
You do you…

Im not a purist at all I use weighted flies lol, ditching the indicator gets them in the zone earlier and keeps them there longer and you will detect more strikes and lose fewer flies. I do use barbless and have not noticed any difference as far as losing fish. Huge difference in getting them out of the net and my fingers though!

You are so a purist..just ask Buckle!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, crappyice said:

You are missing some tongue and cheek I think. I bust guys ballz because I prefer to catch trout on dries (who doesn’t!) and am incapable of catching them on nymphs or (dare I say) euronymphs. I catch far less (or fewer?) fish than those who euronymph (aka worms and bobbers) but I don’t care about numbers (or points on bucks-enter FSW and Bizzy)
You do you…

Text is hard to tell.  I also don't care what anyone else does. I was t&c also. 

11 hours ago, loworange88 said:

Evening folks.  I got the boys out again for fishing.  Once again, my youngest is out fishing me and my oldest combined. He got two decent large mouth and a 21” walleye on Oneida Lake.  We’ll have the walleye tomorrow for dinner.

4FDBB1B0-F3B5-44A2-AEAA-02F4C4459607.jpeg

2F3E701B-86CF-4C70-B4DF-4B40F902ABD9.jpeg

AD6CE76D-FD0B-4E0D-A035-B47150AE4663.jpeg

B858BAB1-986D-4200-87E6-333CE2D11B97.jpeg

13C7ACF2-51CA-4C5A-838B-09C2501776E3.jpeg

That kid has been crushing it keep him going!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Had a terrible afternoon fishing today. I went back to the Creek with the brown trout they where swirling around as soon as I get in and cast some woman and her kids walk down, so I moved down thinking they where go to fish nope the kids jumped in and the girl swam right to where I was the mother was throwing sticks in trying to get her dog to go in. I packed up and left didn’t even take my waders off went to the creek with the brook trout first cast a fish hits but something was wrong? There was about a hundred feet of breaded line in the water nothing after cleaning the line out.
Sorry for the long winded post but that sucked.

loworange88, the youngster may end up just like me when I was a pup. I loved sports, and absolutely loved fishing and the outdoors. Hell, quite a few of my early dates involved fishing. Keep giving him the opportunities, while he wants to do it. It has been a lifelong hobby for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rachunter said:

Had a terrible afternoon fishing today. I went back to the Creek with the brown trout they where swirling around as soon as I get in and cast some woman and her kids walk down, so I moved down thinking they where go to fish nope the kids jumped in and the girl swam right to where I was the mother was throwing sticks in trying to get her dog to go in. I packed up and left didn’t even take my waders off went to the creek with the brook trout first cast a fish hits but something was wrong? There was about a hundred feet of breaded line in the water nothing after cleaning the line out.
Sorry for the long winded post but that sucked.

You gotta head upstream(or downstream) sometimes to get away from the boot prints. Trout fishing is more like hunting imo. The more that you stay hidden downstream and cast upstream the better. I wear drab natural colors and don't let my shaddow enter the hole. Dont stomp the ground or take strong steps near the waters edge. This is not brim fishing. These are the wildest weary fish in the creeks. Make your first cast count.

• Like 1