Live From The Water 2022

WNYBuckHunter

Cool  !!!... They any good to eat  ??...

Funny you say that. This thing dragged the kid 200 yards down the beach (toward the swimmers and surfers!) and a good crowd was there watching them land it. One of the kids had to run all the way back to get the pliers left at their starting spot and a lady came over to berate the kid for making such a majestic animal struggle for his pleasure. The kid was cool and said well I was gonna take it's fin for soup but you convinced me to release it. She was quite pleased with herself for doing her part to save that creature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Or simply drop $3 on a new hook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

That picture of the hook removal process above reminds of that recent video of that guy loosing a finger with a shark at the side of the boat.........A .38 Spcl would take some of the risk out of it.  :)

Look at his outfit. He's a youtuber for sure. I'm sure people were filming. Can't risk losing his brand/name

Edited by BizCT

Look at his outfit. He's a youtuber for sure. I'm sure people were filming. Can't risk losing his brand/name

The kid (SENY - 3S resident!) removing the hook does have a YouTube fishing channel. When I asked what it was he mumbled something. I asked again...more mumbles...so I guess he doesn't really want followers!
The kid reeling it in was indeed wearing a GoPro and there were some chicks filming for them as they tried to land it.
It was quite the scene...
03702019242e5e88023e5a68e4f1dede.jpg

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

The kid (SENY - 3S resident!) removing the hook does have a YouTube fishing channel. When I asked what it was he mumbled something. I asked again...more mumbles...so I guess he doesn't really want followers!
The kid reeling it in was indeed wearing a GoPro and there were some chicks filming for them as they tried to land it.
It was quite the scene...
03702019242e5e88023e5a68e4f1dede.jpg

Nice! he said "Go away Boomer!"

also the one in leopard print is clearly a WNY Buffalo Snowpig. We don't grow em big like that

Edited by BizCT

I think I hit the annual frog migration this morning on a small NW Adirondack lake.  The smallmouth bass were in very shallow.  I landed close to 50 in a couple hours (between rain breaks) and 90 % of them hit the Heddon Zara Puppy top-water bait just after splashdown.  Most were just inches from shore.  
16BDC5E2-9626-4660-926B-2DF5C9A38E02.thumb.jpeg.42df6d1cc88daaf047b8a58723380b28.jpeg

97547D56-2979-4D9D-9758-DA5C0AD8C33B.thumb.jpeg.bfc7f7fea4875c3bc79cf2365552c1db.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 9

21 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I think I hit the annual frog migration this morning on a small NW Adirondack lake.  The smallmouth bass were in very shallow.  I landed close to 50 in a couple hours (between rain breaks) and 90 % of them hit the Heddon Zara Puppy top-water bait just after splashdown.  Most were just inches from shore.  
16BDC5E2-9626-4660-926B-2DF5C9A38E02.thumb.jpeg.42df6d1cc88daaf047b8a58723380b28.jpeg

97547D56-2979-4D9D-9758-DA5C0AD8C33B.thumb.jpeg.bfc7f7fea4875c3bc79cf2365552c1db.jpeg

Good job, Wolc...There aren;'t  many things that you can do with your clothes on that are more fun than catching smallies on surface lures...

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Good job, Wolc...There aren;'t  many things that you can do with your clothes on that are more fun than catching smallies on surface lures...

I agree, they are definitely my favorite fish, by a wide margin.   No fish that swims in freshwater is stronger, pound for pound, and September is the month when they fight the best.

The one in that last picture was the fight of the year for me, and one of my top 5 all-time.  

It must have been around 10:00 am.  I was a little ways out from shore, and my cast landed about 6” from the edge of a weedbed, which formed a thick mat over the south end of the lake.  

As soon as the lure splashed down, the 17” bass scooped it down.  Right after I set the hook, it jumped completely out of the water.  After that, it started screaming out the drag, towards deep water, like a fresh king salmon.

I managed to turn it, after it stripped about half of the 8 lb test line off the reel.  I pulled it back towards the boat, but it made another long run. By that time, it had pulled my 14 ft rowboat out over deeper water.  

The next time I dragged it to the boat, it continued past peeling off more drag towards the weeds. It dove down into them and got what I thought was hopelessly tangled near the bottom.  I grabbed the line with my hands and I could feel it twitching down in the thick weeds.  

I pulled on that line as hard as I dared.  Fortunately, I had just re-tied the lure and the 8 lb flourocarbon leader.  One of the trebles was imbedded on the edge of it’s eye socket.  The bass was not able to shake that hook, and the knots held, as I uprooted those weeds and brought it to the surface.

E695779D-2E92-4DD8-BAB9-0E60D4DEE490.thumb.jpeg.b858197748b8411c5f0f175b12d010e4.jpeg

Topwaters are definitely fun, but they are only effective in narrow margins. Today was one of those days.  The surface of the lake was flat as glass, the water temperature was perfect, the sky was overcast, and there was not another boat on the lake.  What dreams are made of for sure.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4