Live From The Water 2022

WNYBuckHunter

• 2 weeks later...

It’s my favorite time of the year, up at my in-laws place in the Adirondacks (early ML week).  I am deer hunting each morning and evening, and fishing at mid day, for 9 days including all of this week plus opening weekend of gun.  

Our fish supply at home in the freezer is adequate, so I am strictly trophy fishing now, all catch and release, unless I get one over 22”, which I will keep for my father in law, to decorate his wall (he likes to decorate with native species).  

I caught and released one that size here on this week in 2016 (because it was not my largest ever (I got a 23 incher about 20 years ago on Lake Erie).  He still gives me a hard time about that, so I told him I would keep another, if I ever get one that long.

In the years since, I have just broke 20” here a few times.  I thought I  had the 22” yesterday, but came up about 3/4” short, with this solid 21-1/8” behemoth.  Like most I get here, it went for a 1/8 oz bucktail jig.  

The fight it put up was intense.  One nice jump, soon after hook-set, then lots of digging for the bottom, for at least 10 minutes on 6 pound line.  That’s my second longest bass here.   I hope it survives as it was hooked deep and bleeding  a bit.  I carefully removed the jig, and it seemed ok when I let it go.  

051C42A0-118A-40CE-82AF-F8F9B8A86566.thumb.jpeg.5e06ab1bbe06b78ea79093d764cdb2d5.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 5

Trolled up a few smallies on a small silver shad-rap this afternoon, anchored by this stout 19 incher:

8CD74A7B-4D98-4408-845E-198AC73521C4.thumb.jpeg.d73c25dff689ab8a89a6d4730166269d.jpeg

They still have plenty of fight left in them, but it’s not going to last much longer as the water temperature is falling fast.  The lake will probably be froze over next time we come up on Thanksgiving.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Quick stop at the west branch on my back from SENY, man I wish I lived closer to it! What a fisheryf5d9ac55c97cd2a89177786cb06a0d56.jpg
e425648d22ead16cd855e3def9d06987.jpg
f07e5c875ca2735f728da5496923d992.jpg
d96ccd5b08c78805a4ca82ed3645d989.jpg
683cbf5b16bd1bfcbc39ebd7ad1bfd16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I fished the east branch last weekend. I saw a lot of trout but couldn’t get a bite. I later learned that they were spawning. Did you fish deeper pools to avoid the spawning fish?

Can't stand it any more . Heading  to the salmon river in the morning. Fished it last winter but it was blown out . This will be my first fall trip in 25 years give or take. Hope most of the chit show is over . Looking to get a brown or steelhead.  Planning on staying lower on the river.  My fishing partner  backed out again so it will have to be a solo trip. 

• Like 1

Had an ok trip to the salmon river. Stayed low on the river fished in town . Hooked a decent coho that took me into my backing. Jumped three times and headed to the lake . Had to break him because I couldn't follow him . Took a conhead crystal  bugger. Hooked 2 Chinook one was snagged  the other was somewhere in the head  not sure.  Both were zombies. 

Went up stream and found the normal chit show for salmon fishing. A whole group of guys fishing together all fishing with giant spinners  with 1 ounce egg sinkers suspended on a 10 to 12 inch dropper.   Very illegal.  Told one guy that what he was doing was against the regs . He said and I quote " I no speak any English ".

Tried to buy a new spey rod but nobody had anything I was interested in . Looking for an upgrade.

Did pick up some materials  and hooks for fly tying . Spent way to much. 

Still better than being at work .

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:07 PM, Versatile_Hunter said:

I fished the east branch last weekend. I saw a lot of trout but couldn’t get a bite. I later learned that they were spawning. Did you fish deeper pools to avoid the spawning fish?

Not necessarily.  Spawning fish still bite. Human presure keeps em closed lipped sometimes. Best to try to match the hatch and get away from people.... hard to do that on the deleware system. Come up here I got some basically virgin water except April and may.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 7:31 PM, Kmartinson said:

Not necessarily.  Spawning fish still bite. Human presure keeps em closed lipped sometimes. Best to try to match the hatch and get away from people.... hard to do that on the deleware system. Come up here I got some basically virgin water except April and may.

Im wary of stepping on redds

• Like 1

Not hard to get away from people on the Delaware.. just need to know where to fish and when. Will drift boats pass… sure but I am constantly alone on the river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Not hard to get away from people on the Delaware.. just need to know where to fish and when. Will drift boats pass… sure but I am constantly alone on the river

I spent some time fishing near Hancock and deposit when I was younger, even used to go out for shad runs. Fished around roscoe and I think it was called the beaverkill? Always seemed like beautiful water but nothing really blew me away.

I'm really lucky that where I live/grew up we have tributaries to the finger lakes that have llsalmon, rainbows, browns, and even Lakers sometimes.   Also many clean clear "hillcountry" streams that hold nice browns, and some brook trout if your lucky! 

• Like 3

I spent some time fishing near Hancock and deposit when I was younger, even used to go out for shad runs. Fished around roscoe and I think it was called the beaverkill? Always seemed like beautiful water but nothing really blew me away.
I'm really lucky that where I live/grew up we have tributaries to the finger lakes that have llsalmon, rainbows, browns, and even Lakers sometimes.   Also many clean clear "hillcountry" streams that hold nice browns, and some brook trout if your lucky! 

Come on now Kmart! Not blown away by the BK or West Branch....something was wrong- legendary waters for the east coast and I don't think that's hyperbole

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

Come on now Kmart! Not blown away by the BK or West Branch....something was wrong- legendary waters for the east coast and I don't think that's hyperbole

I think Kmartinson is right. There are some finger lakes tribs that are pretty hard to beat. 

Beautiful, and outstanding fishing.

IMG_20211211_101802928_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220401_143106991.jpg

IMG_20220403_084558471.jpg

IMG_20220412_104740551.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5