Adding a scope to a mid 94ae ?

luberhill

8 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You have a scope in mind?

Order some rings and bases and do it.  

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Anyone add a scope to a mod 94 AE 30-30 ?

I have an AE and was thinking about adding a scope for deer 

What is it you're looking to find out?

4 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

the 94ae was specifically redesigned to allow the use of a scope. For me, a scope on a 94 changes the whole feel/carry of the rifle.  They are drilled on the reciever for an aperture sight, which is a great way to go.

i so agree.  I didnt put one on it for soo long cause i hated how it looked, but my eyes tell me i need one.  I actually also have a 2.5 power scope that i have taken on and off the rifle and may put it back on again.  I really only use this rifle for still hunts up north which i do maybe once a year, or maybe one carry all of southern gun.  

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i have one scoped and it works great!  I put a fixed 4x bushnell banner on it.   IMG_20191119_105233564.jpg

Do the empties deflect off the scope and nick up the finish at all, with the top eject ?

I like the side eject Marlins.  My father in law’s has a scope on it , but it was missing the thumb hammer extension, which makes it a lot better with a scope.  I put one on it when I was up there earlier this month.  Do you have one of those on your Winchester ?

E42E4DC5-DCDA-41F4-88EA-479C803BCB11.thumb.jpeg.bb7c852e08254f34768107f5e941dddc.jpeg

2 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I was thinking this may be a better brush gun than my .243

But I was surprised , everything I read says the .243 outperforms the 30-30

Hits harder , etc

Oh boy.  Gonna need a lot of popcorn. :popcorn:

Edited by mowin

51 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Do the empties deflect off the scope and nick up the finish at all, with the top eject ?

I like the side eject Marlins.  My father in law’s has a scope on it , but it was missing the thumb hammer extension, which makes it a lot better with a scope.  I put one on it when I was up there earlier this month.  Do you have one of those on your Winchester ?

E42E4DC5-DCDA-41F4-88EA-479C803BCB11.thumb.jpeg.bb7c852e08254f34768107f5e941dddc.jpeg

no it ejects without hitting, no prob. But mine is an AE (first year they came out with it) - angle eject.  I dont have the hammer extension but have certainly considered it.  There is enough room but it is tight.  If i was wearing gloves it would def be a problem. I should prob get one. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

no it ejects without hitting, no prob. But mine is an AE (first year they came out with it) - angle eject.  I dont have the hammer extension but have certainly considered it.  There is enough room but it is tight.  If i was wearing gloves it would def be a problem. I should prob get one. 

I would definitely recommend it , because it enables you to get off a shot considerably faster, assuming you keep the hammer in the safe or “half-cock” position while hunting, especially when you are wearing gloves.  

I didn’t like hunting with my father in laws scoped Marlin, until I added that hammer extension to it.  I will be using it a lot more now.

I only use the cross bolt safety ,on the newer Marlins, when the guns are unloaded and being transported in a vehicle or when they are in the safe. 

Does your Winchester also have a cross bolt safety ?

Sorry folks, but not taking the .243 bait.  If you like hunting with those, then have at it. 

1 minute ago, luberhill said:

No 243 bait , I’ve killed many deer with it but assumed the 30-30 may get me out further or hit harder ..

mine does NOT have the cross bolt safety

I would prefer that my Marlin did not have the cross bolt safety, but there are way too many lawyers around now for that and they got to earn a living. 

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I would definitely recommend it , because it enables you to get off a shot considerably faster, assuming you keep the hammer in the safe or “half-cock” position while hunting, especially when you are wearing gloves.  

I didn’t like hunting with my father in laws scoped Marlin, until I added that hammer extension to it.  I will be using it a lot more now.

I only use the cross bolt safety ,on the newer Marlins, when the guns are unloaded and being transported in a vehicle or when they are in the safe. 

Does your Winchester also have a cross bolt safety ?

Sorry folks, but not taking the .243 bait.  If you like hunting with those, then have at it. 

No crossbolt safety. 

• Like 1

Put the bullet where it needs to go, job is done. Keep in mind the 30-30 was considered a high powered leading edge technology when it came out, but excells as a relatively close range woods rifle. That 150-170 grain slug does its job when put where it is supposed to be. I was pleasantly surprised when my moose guide a few years ago brought out his well traveled H+R Topper 30-30 single shot which was his moose rifle. One shot. Close. No substitute for knowing your arm and learning the skills. 

5 hours ago, luberhill said:

I was thinking this may be a better brush gun than my .243

But I was surprised , everything I read says the .243 outperforms the 30-30

Hits harder , etc

• Like 1