No More Heating With Firewood In New York?

XGX7PM

As if the new installation of wood furnaces this will prevent is going to make any sort of a dent in emissions.

Why not force all municipality vehicles like fire trucks, ambulances, snow plows, police cars and the like which idle/ operate for most of their lifespan, to go electric. 

Then we can start piling up all these batteries that crap out!!!

• Like 2

If I remember correctly they already restricted outdoor wood furnaces years ago. They didn’t outlaw them but made it so that they had to be so efficient in order to be installed. Already installed models where grandfathered in but now you could only legally burn clean firewood.

I’m sure our politicians that live in the cities and major towns have no idea just how many homes burn wood in order to off set the high price of propane.

Sad, as it seems the smaller rural areas get screwed again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moho81 said:

If I remember correctly they already restricted outdoor wood furnaces years ago. They didn’t outlaw them but made it so that they had to be so efficient in order to be installed. Already installed models where grandfathered in but now you could only legally burn clean firewood.

I’m sure our politicians that live in the cities and major towns have no idea just how many homes burn wood in order to off set the high price of propane.

Sad, as it seems the smaller rural areas get screwed again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You remember correctly.  This law should restrict inefficient stoves,not all firewood. It would be pretty stupid to throw aside a local resource like firewood that is considered carbon neutral in many countries. It just has to be burned clean.

I hope the egg heads will come to their senses before outlawing any carbon emitting heat source. It does sound very unlikely,as there will be a huge uproar if it really comes up for a vote like that.

In particular the law was aimed at folks with outdoor wood fired boilers in close proximity to other houses. I see many of them poorly installed in just wrong locations. The purpose of the law is not as all inclusive as the pot stirring website is editing to show.

The ATV law actually is a bill that NY will ban all gas powered vehicles (including cars, trucks, etc) by 2035, such as california has already passed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

In particular the law was aimed at folks with outdoor wood fired boilers in close proximity to other houses. I see many of them poorly installed in just wrong locations. The purpose of the law is not as all inclusive as the pot stirring website is editing to show.

The ATV law actually is a bill that NY will ban all gas powered vehicles (including cars, trucks, etc) by 2035, such as california has already passed.

If the law was intended around a safety concern, that could be more easily addressed via town ordinances, building codes, and fire codes.  

Regarding gas powered vehicles, there is a person (on the internet news) with a 2016 Tesla that needs new batteries.  The cost?  $22K!!!!  They are going to blow the vehicle up in protest.  Have the politicians even considered if people can even afford these electric vehicles overall???  

Edited by DoubleDose

45 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

If the law was intended around a safety concern, that could be more easily addressed via town ordinances, building codes, and fire codes.  

Regarding gas powered vehicles, there is a person (on the internet news) with a 2016 Tesla that needs new batteries.  The cost?  $22K!!!!  They are going to blow the vehicle up in protest.  Have the politicians even considered if people can even afford these electric vehicles overall???  

They blew that car up already. It was pretty cool. 

These feel good bills never pass.I'm sitting on $200 worth of copper bullets because of all the hype about that lead bullet band.There a few people at my old job waiting for an early buy out bill to pass,even after I showed them the email from the guy that introduced it saying it was a dead deal.Do you really believe there going to band All gas powered anything in this state? This World is far from ready for any of it.Maybe instead of spending billions on getting off this planet they should spend it on fixing it.

For the guys that are waiting to leave this state I'd like to know what state your going too?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rachunter said:

These feel good bills never pass.I'm sitting on $200 worth of copper bullets because of all the hype about that lead bullet band.There a few people at my old job waiting for an early buy out bill to pass,even after I showed them the email from the guy that introduced it saying it was a dead deal.Do you really believe there going to band All gas powered anything in this state? This World is far from ready for any of it.Maybe instead of spending billions on getting off this planet they should spend it on fixing it.

For the guys that are waiting to leave this state I'd like to know what state your going too?

There are good and bad things about every state. The states with the most amount of imports from NY are...in order...

NJ, FL, PA, CA, CT, NC, TX, MA, VA, GA.

That fooled me, but probably numbers driven by NYC-related moves (neighboring states where commuting is possible).

I'd imagine alot of the mid-Atlantic and SE states draw the most from a hunting crowd. NC, TN, SC, FL, GA, VA. Wife and I seem to be talking about it more and more as each year goes by. She is becoming more open to considering places like MT and we are likely going to visit there this summer. 

The EPA pretty much banned all wood fired boilers effective January 2020.  The technology doesn't exist to pass emission requirements.  In fact, any new purchase of wood stove is now quite different than those made before.  They have things like catalytic converters to limit what goes up stack.

If you look at burning wood from an environmental aspect it actually is pretty bad.  First, it's pretty inefficient.  Most of the heat goes right up the stack and not the environment you want to heat.  Burning wood isn't complete combustion.  A lot of particulate goes into atmosphere.  There are places where wood stoves have cause issues with local air quality.  Colorado comes to mind.  I do get the reason for people wanting to burn wood.  I have a wood stove and acres of hardwoods on my property.  I'm remote on a mountain so propane is my fuel for furnace.  A couple years ago I installed a high efficiency and low ambient electric heat pump.  I've drastically lowered my propane requirements with not much increase of electric.  I would highly endorse their consideration.  Plus, most utilities will give an incentive for their installation.  

Now as far as us all going to electric vehicles, we got a major problem there with lithium.  All the major reserves of it are outside of the US.  And oh, disposal of lithium batteries isn't easy or environmentally friendly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

There are good and bad things about every state. The states with the most amount of imports from NY are...in order...

NJ, FL, PA, CA, CT, NC, TX, MA, VA, GA.

That fooled me, but probably numbers driven by NYC-related moves (neighboring states where commuting is possible).

I'd imagine alot of the mid-Atlantic and SE states draw the most from a hunting crowd. NC, TN, SC, FL, GA, VA. Wife and I seem to be talking about it more and more as each year goes by. She is becoming more open to considering places like MT and we are likely going to visit there this summer. 

It's like you said you can find faults in every state. ether it's politics,weather or crime/drugs ect...