The Lure of Flintlocks and Selfbows

OldBrian

He did not mention the challenge of hunting with primitive equipment and how that fits in with the act of hunting. There is the requirements of extra dedication when using historical designs of hunting equipment. Generally speaking it does require extra woodsmanship and understanding of game to be able to get within effective range of these kinds of low-tech weapons. And of course that extra hunting ability and lore is something a hunter has to receive an additional level of pride on the more rare occasions of success. It is pretty satisfying to watch someone's eyes widen when they see the crudeness of an old self-bow that brought down a deer (buck or doe, it doesn't matter). Using these weapons to put food on the table is a feat that adds fulfillment and greater satisfaction to the hunt.

There is also the additional feeling of personal achievement when you take the role of the manufacturer, and some remote engineer working at some office in the city, out of your hunting success and understand that your achievement was based more on your individual efforts.

My first bow kill was done at the age of 11. I went up on the hill and cut a hickory stave, and shaved it down to shape with an old draw-shave that I found in my Dad's shop. A baling twine string and some old fletchless willow arrows and I was ready for hunting. I raised Hell on the pigeon population up in the hay mow of our barn and brought home three pigeons for my mother to cook up. Yeah that was the beginning of a life-long activity of hunting. And I believe the crudeness of the equipment added to the value of the success.

There are other pluses to using historical equipment that regard our culture and heritage that this fellow only touched on, but I certainly did enjoy his video. It is a subject that we hunters often ignore and overlook.

Thank you OldBrian for the link.

• Like 2

I have made quite a few osage bows, flintlock rifles and fowling guns. Its not for everyone but for most of us select few, it is a passion.

I have taken my share of Turkeys with my fowlers

DSCN0199.thumb.jpeg.8d7e6aa0d1351bc916a5d606d50c713b.jpeg

I make my calls as well

I have taken deer with my fowler loaded with a patched round ball but I do prefer a rifle. I was successful last year with this one, a variation of a 1790's rifle made in the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania. this one is .45.

IMG_0013.thumb.jpeg.caa7f19da8871cc9ede4baaa8f833fc8.jpeg

So, OldBrian, I'm on board!

Robby