The Best Hunting Gear Investment You've Made in the Last 10 Years

Five Seasons

Since none of us are "sponsored" I thought this would be a pretty honest subject. 

Since 2010 if you look back at all the good and bad stuff you've purchased in the pursuit of game. What is the one thing you'd recommend to others? 

Can be for pursuit of any species and do NOT include buying land. Looking only for "gear". 

• Like 1

Some people will laugh at this and say voodoo etc but I am going to say my Ozonics.  Now I am not going to say it is the be all end all but i do think it is a tool that has helped my hunting. I am the only one in my hunting group that uses one and since I have had it, I have had more encounters and shot more nice bucks then anyone in my hunting group.  While not perfect, i believe it is the most useful piece of gear I have purchased. 

Good topic. I use a Heater Body Suit.  (A camo sleeping bag with legs).  It doesn't have a heater in it, just traps body heat.  I have spent more hours on stand using it and that has allowed me to kill more deer.  Zipper finally gave up after 10+ years.  I contacted the company looking for suggestions.  They told me to mail it to them and they would install a new zipper for free.  

#2  Bushnell Elite rifle scope.  Not the best glass, but it has Rain Guard baked into the lenses.  It stays clear in wet conditions, doesn't fog like other scopes and clears easily if you get snow in it.  I haven't used scope covers in many years.

• Like 2

My first compound bow from @The_Real_TCIII  five years ago.  Archery opened up a whole new world to hunting for me and really rekindled the interest I have for it.  The fact that it was a Mathews helped, lol!  Now I look forward to October 1 with high anticipation, rather than having to wait 6 or 7 weeks for gun season to start.   I have to thank him for posting that in the Classifieds and his help in getting me started and set up properly.

The second thing that comes to mind, which didn't cost me a dime, is this website forum.   Not only have I learned a ton of things about hunting, I do enjoy the comradery and fellowship that this site offers.  Yes, it can be a cranky and dark place sometimes, so I just skip that section or conversation because I am really only interested in the "outdoor" aspects of it.  I have also been lucky enough to fish and or have a beer with some of the very best people on this site and I hope to meet many more others in the future.

• Like 9

My first compound bow from [mention=5278]The_Real_TCIII[/mention]  five years ago.  Archery opened up a whole new world to hunting for me and really rekindled the interest I have for it.  The fact that it was a Mathews helped, lol!  Now I look forward to October 1 with high anticipation, rather than having to wait 6 or 7 weeks for gun season to start.   I have to thank him for posting that in the Classifieds and his help in getting me started and set up properly.
The second thing that comes to mind, which didn't cost me a dime, is this website forum.   Not only have I learned a ton of things about hunting, I do enjoy the comradery and fellowship that this site offers.  Yes, it can be a cranky and dark place sometimes, so I just skip that section or conversation because I am really only interested in the "outdoor" aspects of it.  I have also been lucky enough to fish and or have a beer with some of the very best people on this site and I hope to meet many more others in the future.
It was that day that he made the smart move to shoot Elite. Which I'm sure aside from his biannual license procurement buying an ELITE was probably his best investment

https://www.instagram.com/thejerkman

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

1 minute ago, hueyjazz said:

Ditto on the Butt Out Wolc123.  Quick and easy with little chance of mistake.

I struggled a bit with mine, the first year I had it.  Proper cleaning is very important, after every use.  Fouling, from prior deer, prevents proper function on subsequent ones.  Proper turning until engagement is also important.  It gets easier to use, after you develop the “feel”.

It also makes a good drag rope handle, after you clean the deer poop off of it, or to drag an un-gutted deer to a clearing  before the  regular “intended” usage.

16 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

It was that day that he made the smart move to shoot Elite. Which I'm sure aside from his biannual license procurement buying an ELITE was probably his best investment

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

Well, to be fair, it wasn't actually his bow, as it was a Lefty.  I think he found it at Goodwill and decided to turn a quick profit on it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

I already had an Elite. That Matthews was sold for a friend who stands on the wrong side of the bow like @Otto does

• Like 2