The Best Hunting Gear Investment You've Made in the Last 10 Years

Five Seasons

Muck arctic sport boots.havent had enough time in em yet but seem nice for the few times I've worn em.

A new to me bow(mathews switchback).can't believe the difference since all I've used is older bows.

1.5hp meat grinder!!!beats having no ground or trying to grind it with my grandparents 40y-o grinder.didnt work well last season!!!!

This coming season will be clothing,in desperate need for a jacket

• Like 1

My lifetimes were all purchased over 10 years' ago. 

With that said...

#1   --> Dirt. Speaks for itself...

Since everyone is piling on past their number one, ł'll also add the "teaching tower" and a lifetime license for my stepson... both are tied for #2

Screenshot_20211230-165227_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Belo said:

what make and model brush hog did you go with?

Bought a swisher 44". It worked great. Well at least the trails looked great. I got it and my buddy put it together and decided to try it out.  He said it worked so good he just went and cut all our trails in like 4 hours. Lol.  Got it from mowers direct.

Screenshot_20210830-170542.png.9cec7b2ff41cd8b87a987c8e05232e0d.png

58923.jpeg.e8c2465ccfa5067a55812f4c39b9b576.jpeg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thirdhand straps for climbing treestands are the best $20 you will spend on hunting

Without a doubt the best money someone could spend. I haven't spent much on anything I could add to a list except my comfortable tree stand seat

71809871_standseat.thumb.jpg.8203d0e69ab7d785a4d1a9da34a98203.jpg

• Like 1

My lifetimes were all purchased over 10 years' ago. 
With that said...
#1   --> Dirt. Speaks for itself...
Since everyone is piling on past their number one, ł'll also add the "teaching tower" and a lifetime license for my stepson... both are tied for #2
Screenshot_20211230-165227_Gallery.thumb.jpg.bca4748888ff64e7a449ec1a276fe820.jpg
Not to derail....but talk to us about the tower? Specs, cost of shanty and tower?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

Not to derail....but talk to us about the tower? Specs, cost of shanty and tower?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Rivers edge landmark, tower/blind. 

Tower was $500 and the blind was $700.

10' tall, 6'x6' platform topped with 3/4" pressure treated plywood.

Put foam mat on top of the plywood, some insulation and super quiet.

We have a buddy heater w/ a 20lb tank and we got blackout curtains on sale dirt cheap... Those are hung and it's pitch black in there for the most part. 

Wrapped lower portions of the frame in pipe wrap so there is no metal clinking from anything.

Cost of lumber led me to just buy a boxed setup. 

Definitely impressed with the quality and would recommend it to others if these can be found.

My father and ł raised it ourselves without a tractor... it required a few adjustable ladders, a come along and a farm jack. Was a little nerve wracking but we got the job done. Braced it with 2x4 while raising it to prevent any twist.

Wish ł did it sooner, now ł'm spoiled...

Kicking around a lockout system for the ladder but the python lock is working for the time being.

Screenshot_20211230-213612_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-214426_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

My father and ł raised it ourselves without a tractor... it required a few adjustable ladders, a come along and a farm jack. Was a little nerve wracking but we got the job done. Braced it with 2x4 while raising it to prevent any twist.

Yeah that farm jack isn't scary at all. :stop:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Yeah that farm jack isn't scary at all. :stop:

Right...

The tag line for the come along isn't very visible in that picture, but it kept enough tension on it that it wasn't going anywhere. At one point we had to disengage and it the tower was briefly suspended with only the come along securing it.

Twist was our biggest concern.

The farm jack was lag bolted to a scrap piece of 2"x12" wedged in to the ladder and there was a scrap piece of 2"x4" attached to the runner via lags and tension.

Every couple clicks on the farm jack we cinched the come along to keep pace with the overall lift.

It's anchored on all 4 feet with spikes and a auger style anchor with cable in the center.

Screenshot_20211230-220739_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

For me it is the clothes. It is so much easier to bow hunt in cold weather when i can have a couple thin layers and a light coat. None of mine are the fancy name brand stuff. Just cheap stuff that cost $15-$20 for a top or bottom. I am fortunate in the fact that the cold does not get to me as bad as a lot of people.

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Good call! @turkeyfeathers told my wife to get me one a few years ago and I dont think ive unplugged it since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ł love mine also. 

Was a godsend while working in a paper mill. ł was in stock prep (wet end) before training new hires. 

Dry boots are huge!

• Like 3