The Best Hunting Gear Investment You've Made in the Last 10 Years

Five Seasons

As you age, boots like that with zero real support will be a no go...........you'll be using a boot with laces and good insoles down the road.
Enjoy while you can........

I thought that was going to be this year with my broken foot but some stiff insoles and I’m feeling really good.

I hope by the time I need to go to a more supportive boot I won’t be hunting the way I do and won’t need them anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, coonhunter said:

I've been pondering this topic for quite awhile. I guess it really isn't close for me. It is the base layers for the cool to cold temperatures during bow season. It was always a pain in the neck when you got weather cold enough that you needed to wear more clothes to sit in your stand.

Now, long johns helped for sure, but I usually still needed to add a hoodie or something similar. Then, if it really got cold, I was forced to wear a coat that was heavier and bulkier. It made it hard to draw and hold form.

The performance clothes that have improved more and more. Hell, I can sit all day in a climber in cold weather with a coat on that is soft and pliable, and it allows me to draw and hold with no worries about the string hitting a sleeve, or a damn string from a hood going up into my cam.

None of my clothes are the expensive stuff either. They were all bought from guide gear or on clearance.

check into a heated vest.  Started using one last year and what a difference. I wear it most of the time now even if i dont think i will need it.  But even if i get a little chill can turn it on and warm up for a bit.  big difference. 

• Like 1

Yup, I got one for Christmas. I thought it might be nice to have on the days it is about 40 degrees and misting or raining lightly. They are the days that chill me the most. I can take the cold a lot better than most people, but I sure do like the advancement in clothing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

a lot of stuff has been a great investment. when you're really into hunting, over the years you weed through a lot of BS gear/products and keep or buy only the stuff that works. i will say that over the last 10 years my greatest leap of faith was alpaca socks and hats. holy hell do they perform like soft premium wool on steroids.  

There are so many great things I have, bows and guns, cams, clothing, ammo, shoes, backpacks, the list goes on and on.

I would have to say that in the last 3 or 4 years scouting has really been a priority and I have been very fortunate in my hunts. I lend much of this success to scouting, So in my world powerful clear binos are number 1! I waS using crappy Wal-Mart tascos and it gave me a headache.  My new vortex 12x50s closed the scouting loop for me. 

37 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

There are so many great things I have, bows and guns, cams, clothing, ammo, shoes, backpacks, the list goes on and on.

I would have to say that in the last 3 or 4 years scouting has really been a priority and I have been very fortunate in my hunts. I lend much of this success to scouting, So in my world powerful clear binos are number 1! I waS using crappy Wal-Mart tascos and it gave me a headache.  My new vortex 12x50s closed the scouting loop for me. 

I feel like i am the only guy that never uses binos.  I carry them in my pack and just never use them.  i also hunt a real thick area too.  

• Like 1

I feel like i am the only guy that never uses binos.  I carry them in my pack and just never use them.  i also hunt a real thick area too.  

I only hunt hardwoods, never fields. I’d be lost without binocs. So many times I glass deer that I wouldn’t have otherwise seen or at least can make out the head. Especially in low light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I never did either, now I wear my bino harness anytime I’m going to the woods. A good set of binos has changed the way I hunt, I also very rarely hunt fields.

Binos during Turkey season make it very easy to pick out a gobbler on a limb in early dawn light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

I only hunt hardwoods, never fields. I’d be lost without binocs. So many times I glass deer that I wouldn’t have otherwise seen or at least can make out the head. Especially in low light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i am mainly a bow hunter so i guess i look at it as if i cant see them im not getting a shot.  There are times i could have used them but its been rare.  But it is so thick there cant really see anything unless its close anyway.  If i was woods hunting more i can def see the advantage.  

55 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i am mainly a bow hunter so i guess i look at it as if i cant see them im not getting a shot.  There are times i could have used them but its been rare.  But it is so thick there cant really see anything unless its close anyway.  If i was woods hunting more i can def see the advantage.  

Same. I hunt 8-10X more with bow than gun. I find it helps me the most in that 50-70 yard range trying to see the head/rack

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I dont necessarily hunt with them as much as I do scout with them. 

2 hours ago, CapDistPatriot said:

All this would be moot without land access, so I would have to say my lease renewal. People who have never hunted state land are the ones that scoff at the price of a hunting lease.

I agree with this for deer but nothing else.

I didnt read through all the posts , but for me its been the advancement in muzzleloader supplys.  From BH209 to projectiles.  I'm not saying a PRB won't work but there are some superior choices for today's inline . That's a smoker or non smoker too .

Not to mention fast 1/20 twist .45s

Edited by sbuff

Well I have to say I " Acquired " this just a little over 40 years ago and my quality time in the woods was the best investment I've ever made ... LOL !

Its my Son , once I finally got him into hunting with me its the best thing !  We are much closer now than we've ever been and he is as successful if not more than me . He became the Bow Hunter I never was - Compound and Crossbow - and been successful with both !

• Like 2

I mentioned this camo poncho once before, I got it for varmint hunting and have used it also for Deer and Squirrel hunting and this spring I have been using it for Turkeys. By every measure this garment works great for everything I have hunted, light weight and airy I can wad it up and stuff it in a large coat pocket, I also have it sprayed down good with Sawyers and have been completely bug free from black flies, skeeters and those damned ticks. 

A lot of bang for the buck right here,

Al

2020-04-23_184125.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Hands down best investment was my redneck blind in conjunction with a Mr. Buddy heater, nothing beats hunting on a snowy, freezing day and I'm hunting in just a hoodie. Don't need to haul a bunch of clothes or gear up the mountain anymore to keep warm.

3 hours ago, airedale said:

I mentioned this camo poncho once before, I got it for varmint hunting and have used it also for Deer and Squirrel hunting and this spring I have been using it for Turkeys. By every measure this garment works great for everything I have hunted, light weight and airy I can wad it up and stuff it in a large coat pocket, I also have it sprayed down good with Sawyers and have been completely bug free from black flies, skeeters and those damned ticks. 

A lot of bang for the buck right here,

Al

2020-04-23_184125.png

Been on the ghillie poncho game for a few years now... so good.

20220222_170132.jpg