Anyone know anything about baseball cards??

Otto

This card has been kicking around in my desk for over 25 years.  It was left behind from a "Baseball Card Show" we used to host at our hotel back in the day when we had a ballroom.  It has to have some sort of value I would imagine??? 1763542852_MickeyMantlefront.thumb.jpg.b98b63fcd03d0e746694ba3e4c6a107a.jpg42971381_MickeyMantleback.thumb.jpg.44828fe2d402caa86938a8b07d2e3044.jpg

6 minutes ago, Otto said:

It has his 1958 stats as the latest listed.  does that make it a 1959 or 1958 card?  I have no idea on how to grade.  There are no bends of wrinkles, edges are sharp, the back is yellowed a bit.  

it would be a 1959 i believe.  Grading is done by the pros usually.  used to be able to take them to card shows and get things graded but i dont know if they even have those anymore.  Card shops are also a thing of the past now.  I dont know of any still in business.  Maybe google one in Syracuse.  Whatever your offered it will be about 1/2 of its worth since they have to resell it too.  Pawn shops also might be interested but your gonna get 1/2 of its worth.  Or can post it on Ebay but most will want to know the grade.

I sold all of mine to a card shop years ago, but kept a rookie Larry Bird I had.  Last i looked it was 1/2 the value it used to be.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Value is tough.. As with anything, it's only worth what someone will pay you for it. 

PSA offers a service where they will grade the card for you and certify it. Collector's may look for that because PSA is known (among others) in the industry.

https://www.psacard.com/appraisals

MY BIL dabbles in this a bit. Card collecting definitely isn't what it used to be. I have a case full of cards that were going to be my "retirement". Now I'll be happy if can sell them for enough to cover a tank of gas.

I have thousands of older assorted sports cards, I looked up a few dozen one day just to see.... I found most are worth a buck or two. I thought about dropping them off to someone to look at to see if any had real value, but then I figured if there was a good one in the mix, they'd probably steal it and I wouldn't have a clue anyhow. So, they still sit in boxes.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

That’s my issue too.  If I look at the PSA website the value of this card could be over $2000.  Or it could be $100 or even less…… I just need someone I can trust that can help me turn this piece of cardboard into a gun! 

I’ll look into sending it to PSA for appraisal.  

7 minutes ago, Otto said:

That’s my issue too.  If I look at the PSA website the value of this card could be over $2000.  Or it could be $100 or even less…… I just need someone I can trust that can help me turn this piece of cardboard into a gun! 

I’ll look into sending it to PSA for appraisal.  

Ebay is a great tool.  If you enter the card info.  Then check the sold listings for that card you can get a solid range of what to expect on the market.  If you think the card is in mint condition then getting psa graded could be the best route for you.  If there defects then it might not be worth the time and cost.  Take it to card store near you if there are any to see what they say.