Are hunter numbers growing?

Don_C

12 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Hunting is not a hobby but a lifestyle. Most kids including my own who are 20 & 18 yr olds have no drive to get out of bed at 4AM to go chase deer. They would rather sleep in and get their fun twiddling a joy stick.

My oldest does make it out with me on gun opening day but not a die hard crazy dark to dark sit enthusiast like his old man :P

hunting is like anything else.  Everyone has their thing-  fishing, snowmobiling, hiking, skiiing, motorcycles,video games etc.  All damn things we spend too much money on but sure enjoy. But agreed there is less and less outdoor activities that young people get right into.  Not so sure they arent smarter than us!  Sleep in and not freeze and buy the meat at the market that costs less per pound i am sure.     

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Somewhere as parents we messed up giving in to the tech craze :(

While I sometimes feel like that too, I have to remind myself that my role as a father was first to prepare them for the world, which is a tech world; and not my desire for them to be my hunting/fishing buddy.  Denying tech to the young is problematic too, probably more problematic than we can imagine.  Everything has tech now.   In the end, we have to accept that they are individuals that have their own interests which are different from ours, and we did not mess-up as parents.  We just have to accept that some  parent got tech kids who like to hunt and fish LOL!

15 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

Now let's look at the bolded text, 2A, and gun control politicians.  2A was never about hunting, it was about personal protection 

there's an argument that it wasn't about personal protection either. But of course one could argue that us citizens having the ability to defend ourselves against a tyrannical government could be part of that. By and large though, it wasn't about protecting yourself from being robbed. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fasteddie said:

As for deer season , I think there are less hunters out there than say 10 years ago . Years ago  I would see several hunter's vehicles parked along the road , in fields , etc on my way to hunt . There would be all sorts of shooting almost an hour before Legal Time . I n the past few years I have seen a lot les parked vehicles and 90% less shooting in any of the 3 - 4 areas that I where I have deer hunted . I use to see several hunters on adjacent properties . That has all but ceased lately . Hunters aren't out there moving the deer . Just my observations .........

Most hunters now seem to be tree toads. When I was a kid, there were all sorts of boots on the ground pumpkins with their 870's pushing deer around.

Now everyone is in a tree and nobody is pushing.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

Most hunters now seem to be tree toads. When I was a kid, there were all sorts of boots on the ground pumpkins with their 870's pushing deer around.

True That. I believe that shows the age of today’s hunters and the chapters that hunters go thru. First time with a gun on Letchworth I went thru like 8 boxes of slugs as back then it was the stack them mentality. Now it’s more of a one on one with the best of them. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Hunting is not a hobby but a lifestyle. Most kids including my own who are 20 & 18 yr olds have no drive to get out of bed at 4AM to go chase deer. They would rather sleep in and get their fun twiddling a joy stick.

My oldest does make it out with me on gun opening day but not a die hard crazy dark to dark sit enthusiast like his old man :P

that's not really a new thing. I started gun hunting at the legal age of 16. Come from an entire family of deer hunters. I hunted opening weekend and a few days during thanksgiving week. I wasn't not hunting because of videogames. 

I was either in highschool or college. I had a gf, I had a job, I was playing football and yes I was more motivated to go to a party than to deer hunt. By 24 I had my first bow and things changed.

I think it's easy for "older" folks to want to blame videogames, but that's not it. Keep kids interested and exposed and when they have time they will either fall in love with it or they wont. 

On 12/31/2021 at 7:49 AM, DoubleDose said:

Great point.  I remember as a kid getting into NYS deer hunting and doe permits were party permits; 3-5 people jointly applying for a single permit.   Now NYS has longer seasons and more permits available; including ability to transfer.

I often wonder if all this season extending and increasing bag limits aren't really having a negative effect on hunter numbers. In our locality, opening day does not draw the crowds it used to. The number of shots heard are significantly less. We now have empty or near empty public land parking lots where they used to be filled and overflowing out on th the main road. Could it be that now with all the extensions of hunting seasons, the hunters keep putting off going out thinking that they have plenty of time to get their deer? Somehow the physical evidence of the number of hunters is not aligning with any claims of a higher hunter population.

I will admit that my observations are extremely localized and not really any adequate scientific sampling.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

that's not really a new thing. I started gun hunting at the legal age of 16. Come from an entire family of deer hunters. I hunted opening weekend and a few days during thanksgiving week. I wasn't not hunting because of videogames. 

I was either in highschool or college. I had a gf, I had a job, I was playing football and yes I was more motivated to go to a party than to deer hunt. By 24 I had my first bow and things changed.

I think it's easy for "older" folks to want to blame videogames, but that's not it. Keep kids interested and exposed and when they have time they will either fall in love with it or they wont. 

Same. I never missed opening day of gun season, but that was the only morning I hunted most seasons between the ages of 16-27. Partying was too much fun. But then priorities change as you get older.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

hunting is like anything else.  Everyone has their thing-  fishing, snowmobiling, hiking, skiiing, motorcycles,video games etc.  All damn things we spend too much money on but sure enjoy. But agreed there is less and less outdoor activities that young people get right into.  Not so sure they arent smarter than us!  Sleep in and not freeze and buy the meat at the market that costs less per pound i am sure.     

studies actually show that outdoor rec is one of the fastest growing hobbies, particularly among the younger generation. They're being blamed for being lazy and not wanting to work because they'd rather travel the world. They're asking for more vacation time instead of pay increases. They're being blamed for ruining elk habitat by inadvertently bumping and pushing them in the spring when they're hurting from the winter. 

32 minutes ago, Belo said:

I think another contributor to the condition of stationary hunters is the evolution of outdoor hunting clothing efficiency. I remember when I started hunting, it wasn't too long before the threat of frostbite to my fingers and toes had me on my feet still-hunting through the woods.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

I often wonder if all this season extending and increasing bag limits aren't really having a negative effect on hunter numbers. In our locality, opening day does not draw the crowds it used to. The number of shots heard are significantly less. We now have empty or near empty public land parking lots where they used to be filled and overflowing out on th the main road. Could it be that now with all the extensions of hunting seasons, the hunters keep putting off going out thinking that they have plenty of time to get their deer? Somehow the physical evidence of the number of hunters is not aligning with any claims of a higher hunter population.

I will admit that my observations are extremely localized and not really any adequate scientific sampling.

Glad to see ya posting Doc. Your spot on. I am kinda with you in the limited because I spend so much time down around Letchworth but even there on that big property the numbers have dropped big time. 17 mile park and by the 3rd day of the season there is only a handful of trucks. Years back that place had people driving every piece of woods for the first week.       At one time it had to be a lottery to get on to hunt because only 500 were allowed, Now it’s everyone gets on for gun and the other 3 seasons are print your own pass. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

studies actually show that outdoor rec is one of the fastest growing hobbies, particularly among the younger generation. They're being blamed for being lazy and not wanting to work because they'd rather travel the world. They're asking for more vacation time instead of pay increases. They're being blamed for ruining elk habitat by inadvertently bumping and pushing them in the spring when they're hurting from the winter. 

Its all Pokemon. Lol

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Yup, I dont force my kids to go .

I offer, if they are awake and ready they come along..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Belo said:

I'd be afraid to do the math on what mine cost per pound

Could you imagine what the actual cost really is per pound. If you start factoring in the amortized cost of all the hunting weapons, and the ammo, and the transportation costs.......Oh my the cost quickly becomes staggering. What did I leave out? I wouldn't add in my time because it is recreational time. But how about out-of-state hunts with guides or outfitters and such.

No, I don't think it is a very good idea to try to work out an all-inclusive dollar per pound amount. That could get to be a bit discouraging. It is just a very expensive hobby.....lol.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

Could you imagine what the actual cost really is per pound. If you start factoring in the amortized cost of all the hunting weapons, and the ammo, and the transportation costs.......Oh my the cost quickly becomes staggering. What did I leave out? I wouldn't add in my time because it is recreational time. But how about out-of-state hunts with guides or outfitters and such.

No, I don't think it is a very good idea to try to work out an all-inclusive dollar per pound amount. That could get to be a bit discouraging. It is just a very expensive hobby.....lol.

factor in lease or property tax... hot damn

• Sad 1

From my experience the deer hunter numbers are way down in my area and so are the deer herd numbers. Every year it’s getting more and more scarce. We went almost all of bow/crossbow season without seeing a deer. Out of the 4 of us that hunt my property all gun season we seen 10 deer. Where I am in east otto that’s unheard of. Opening day you would see 20 deer in the first 15 minutes. We border state land. My neighbors and the guys on the lease pipe line property have the same story.

• 4 weeks later...