Do you guys do your own oil changes

luberhill

I’ve ALWAYS done all my own work ..but I’m getting sick of it . I have to buy the oil and filter , take time to do it , clean up after , recycle the old oil and filter ..

My wife’s Lincoln MKC came with 5 free oil changes and tire rotation..

They have done a fine job on the first three…

Im considering taking mine to the dealer too..

Im in my 60s and just not that into it anymore .

I don’t really trust the speedy oil change places

• Like 1

I've always done my own. I can usually knock out an oil and filter change in the driveway in 15-20 minutes, so I never bother taking it anywhere. My wife's old Lincoln MKT was a pain in the but with the shield underneath it, so it took a little longer. I haven't had to do one on the new van yet, so we'll see. My Outback is super easy, except that the filter is tucked into a bend in the exhaust pipe. If it's not cooled off, I end up with singed knuckles, and any oil that I miss wiping off the exhaust makes for a nice stink for the first few miles. 
The one thing I will take to the shop is headlights on my Subaru. You have to take off the front wheel, pop out the fender underpinning and then try to dick around in the little crevasse without being able to see what you're doing. My guy will do it for $70 including the light, so well worth avoiding the headache. 

I always do my own work. Even when something is under warranty, sometimes its easier to just do it yourself then make an appointment and wait at the dealer etc. (depending on the cost of course) I am lucky that my best friend owns his own shop and i can use a lift whenever i want. If i didn't have access to that, i'm not sure i would be doing it myself. 

I use to change my own but after owning a 6.4hemi and having to spend 100$ just for the srt engine oil it calls for I just say hell with it and buy the oil and filter and pay the local shop 40$ to throw it all in and they can deal with getting rid of the old oil

Edited by silent death

18 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I always do my own work. Even when something is under warranty, sometimes its easier to just do it yourself then make an appointment and wait at the dealer etc. (depending on the cost of course) I am lucky that my best friend owns his own shop and i can use a lift whenever i want. If i didn't have access to that, i'm not sure i would be doing it myself. 

Does that effect the warranty?  

Valvoline . Ever since I worked on some chick who OD’d in her car in line there, they’ve given me and even my daughter a good break on the price , more then the online coupons .

Although i just had it done at Goodyear, as I get free tire rotations and needed both prior to heading South . Watch TV drink some Keurig , done .

I do my own cabin air filters as they all want outrageous $ and it’s a two minute job at most . Firestone wanted $76 to do my daughters on her Civic , I told them it’s way to much , he said the part alone is $56 . I told him I bought a two,pack for $12 , then he said “ if you think you’re capable !”

WTF it’s as easy as putting bread in a toaster . 

Ive since marked the air box , and glove box ( where cabin one is ) with painters tape and the date I’ve replaced them , so my daughters don’t get ripped off if they get the call and not me .

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Paula said:

Does that effect the warranty?  

Most of the time it does. My wife's been looking, she saw a Jeep Renegade she liked and that had a lifetime warranty from the dealership on motor, transmission, and brakes. Providing, she had all work done at that dealership, including any and all oil changes. So no stopping by Jiffy Lube if you were in a hurry and couldn't get to the dealer. If the truck broke down in another state, you were SOL if you had to have work done while away because it would void the warranty. Because we travel often during the Summer this wasn't a great idea for us. If you only travel 50 miles from your house it's probably great.

I do my own. I use Mobil 1 in our vehicles and it costs somewhere around $45-55 for the oil and filter. I buy several of each when on sale. I’m a believer in using the same oil brand and type forever, and the price for Mobil 1 (or any full synthetic) oil change anyplace is really high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do my own oil in the truck. The new one is a little bit of a pain but I like doing it. Less than an hour of my time and a couple of beers gets the job done and it gives me a chance to crawl under and check things over. My wife's small SUV I just have it done at the dealer. She leases and either the oil changes are free or they are almost the same price I can do it for without the hassle. 

I will do most simple maintenance items on the truck but that list is getting smaller and smaller the newer of the vehicle I get. Again my wife leases so I think in her last 3 vehicles all I have done is one set of front pads and rotors.

Anything air filter related is a rip off not to do yourself. 

• Like 2

My buddy owns a service station on my way to work.  I take all of our vehicles there for oil changes, after the free ones run out at the dealer.  I also get brakes, tires, and inspections done there.  He has always taken pretty good care of me. 

Since we run only Chevy’s and a Toyota, that is about all the work that our vehicles have needed.  I only do my own oil changes on tractors and small engines at home.  

I used to run Mobil one in all of my vehicles, but the newer Chevy’s call for special GM synthetic.  I have now changed all three of our Chevy’s over to that, which costs about half as much as the Mobil 1.  I wasn’t sure if the Toyota be ok on that, so I keep spending the big bucks on the Mobil 1 for it.

I do oil changes myself in everything, vehicles, quad, boat, motorcycle, lawnmower etc. I'm not cheap, but I'm not paying someone $100 to spend 15 minutes draining oil. The wheeler is a bit of a pain because I need to remove plastics for access, but still not bad. If I can do it myself I prefer to with any repair/maintenance.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

I've done most of the work on our vehicles myself.the only time I didn't was the rear shocks in g/f's Honda accord.had to remove back seat to get to mounts etc etc.F that!The knock sensor on that car this past summer was a real treat too.up under the intake manifold after the mice in the garage decided to chew the wires n make a home in there!

Subaru was $68, it would cost me $30 for oil and filter . I’m not crawling under it or getting my hands dirty,  then bringing the waste oil somewhere for $38 savings . Now in my youth when you just dumped the old oil along the fence to keep the weeds down ,sure . 

I have never in my life changed oil in a mower, snowblower ( it’s a 1974) or any small engine . 

• Haha 2

Yes  I do my truck 95 percent of the time . Quick lube dumb ass stripped my drain plug on my Sable wagon.  He used an impact on it . I came unglued on him . They payed to have the pan replaced at the ford dealer.  Took a month of phone calls and screaming . They thought they should  be able to do the work . I told them I would see them in small claims court and would be billing them for a rental 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I have never in my life changed oil in a mower, snowblower ( it’s a 1974) or any small engine . 

I never have either in a mower or snowblower in the past but a few years ago I bought a new Ariens snowblower and two years ago a new Honda mower.  Those I'll do myself at some point. 

The boat (25hp outboard) I've done a few times and the atv I'll do when its needed. The generators get changed every couple years whether they have the hours of run time or not.

My chainsaw, weed whacker and leaf blower get an oil change every time I gas up.