Do you guys do your own oil changes

luberhill

I do change the wife's Traverse and my truck oil myself. Wally world sells Mobil synthetic in the 5 qt jugs, but I have switched this year to the Napa synthetic in their 5qt jugs. I use the Napa gold filters all the time, and just started eliminating a second stop for parts. I do put at least 6k miles in between changes. I do change my Ariens oil every year.

I do. I have it down to a science. It's not a money thing, it's a trust thing for me. I've had some bad experiences with valvoline and similar places. If I do it myself, I know it was done right. Part of the reason I do my own deer butchering too.

I will add that I use the free dealer changes when I get them as I trust the dealer techs. 

So the guys that do their own, do you also rotate the tires every other oil change? 

Nope, take that in for the free rotations from the place I bought the tires from. Im getting to old to rotate the tires without a lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Nope, take that in for the free rotations from the place I bought the tires from. Im getting to old to rotate the tires without a lift.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. I don't do the oil either. Seems like a good use for $40 to me, and free tire rotation at the same time. Plus it goes on the lift and everything is checked over for free. 

Not a chance. One of my good buddies is the Service Manager at my Chevy dealer. It goes in gets oil changed and tires rotated and all point checkup. I basically cant do it cheaper considering mileage to go get stuff then have to take in oil for recycling.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. I don't do the oil either. Seems like a good use for $40 to me, and free tire rotation at the same time. Plus it goes on the lift and everything is checked over for free. 

I’m sure at some point I’ll also get tired of crawling on the ground but for right now I enjoy it. Sometimes I just lay under the truck staring up at it mindlessly while the oil drains out. It’s almost as peaceful as sitting in a tree stand staring into the woods mindlessly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moho81 said:

I’m sure at some point I’ll also get tired of crawling on the ground but for right now I enjoy it. Sometimes I just lay under the truck staring up at it mindlessly while the oil drains out. It’s almost as peaceful as sitting in a tree stand staring into the woods mindlessly.

You are not quite right Sir lol!!

• Like 3

I always do my own oil changes, Im wanting to learn more about turning wrenches on my vehicles to save money and be more self sufficient so lately ive been tackling a few larger repair projects as well. If my garage was heated I would be doing my U joints currently but I really hate the idea of freezing my butt off while doing work on my vehicle. 

I also cleaned and rebuilt my first carburetor for my snowblower last week.

• Like 2

Do my own changes as well. Usually stockpile the oil in a 3 gallon container and drop off at the advanced auto a few minutes away when near full. 

Also do general maintenance including plugs, belts, brakes, other fluids. Larger projects are tackled as needed shocks, ball joints and other items of the sort.

I don't mind preventive maintenance but when something breaks that needs done it gets annoying real quick.

Edited by CarlosB

I do as much work on my vehicles as i possibly can, Mostly because im cheap and dont want to pay for it.. unless its too serious of a job or time consuming. Ill learn my way through it. I change all our oil because i want the same oil used every single time.. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. in the Caddy XTS, Tahoe, and even the 09 Civic.. And rotate tires once every 3 months.. half way through cold and warm seasons.. We buy our cars and keep them as long as possible.  Im only 35, but getting tired working on stuff anymore, mainly because available free time is a thing of the past.. 

The only pain about oil changes is disposing the oil.. I have a good amount accumulated that needs to be taken to town.. before I am on a hit list lol. Most oil changes take 15-30 minutes. 

22 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I do as much work on my vehicles as i possibly can, Mostly because im cheap and dont want to pay for it.. unless its too serious of a job or time consuming. Ill learn my way through it. I change all our oil because i want the same oil used every single time.. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. in the Caddy XTS, Tahoe, and even the 09 Civic.. And rotate tires once every 3 months.. half way through cold and warm seasons.. We buy our cars and keep them as long as possible.  Im only 35, but getting tired working on stuff anymore, mainly because available free time is a thing of the past.. 

The only pain about oil changes is disposing the oil.. I have a good amount accumulated that needs to be taken to town.. before I am on a hit list lol. Most oil changes take 15-30 minutes. 

The hourly cost of labor is a huge driver for me doing my own work. The last place I went to was like 90 an hour. Not sure if that's high or low amongst other shops but it's expensive to me.

I used to like changing oil and doing basic maintenance. As noted, the time value vs money spent is becoming a factor. We have two shops we trust to work on our cars. Both very good, neither cheap however. That said, I still have them do oil changes and other work. They also document well, so I have history for any warranty concerns.

Things like lights, filters, etc. I still do. If I have to dispose or lift, which add time to the effort, I'll generally have the shop do it.

Someday I hope to have more time to do things I enjoy, regardless of cost efficiency.