Shooting Adult arrows

Lucky118

Haha I fell victim to this last summer. Went from shooting a Beman ICS Whiteout Hunter 340 with 100 grain Rage, at 432 grains total arrow weight to a Sirius Vulcan 250 with Grizzly Stik Samurai 200 grain broadheads for a total arrow weight of 652 grains. It’s been neat. Also went from a 2012 PSE Bow Madness 3G to a new Bowtech Solution. There was nothing wrong with my old setup, I just got the itch to mess with things.

For me, I won’t shoot anything over 35 yards or so, so I don’t notice anything in my trajectory that makes me regret the ridiculous arrows.

I was all jacked up to hunt with my new setup this year. In Northern Zone this year, it was only about 2 weeks and the weather was terrible so I felt a bit discouraged. Certainly not excited enough about the new setup to leave the rifles home though!

Really need to find southern zone spot just to bow hunt.

The Ranch Fairy is obnoxious and often hysterical. His lines about “all your buddies down at the pro shop with their flat brim hats” and “your buddies with the Kuiu beanies” really cracked me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Want to try out 500 grains but it seems like a long drawn out process

It’s all relative. Your draw length, draw weight, and bow efficiency play a huge role in finding the right balance for you.

It’s hard not to be at almost 500 grains if you shoot 70lbs at 29” or more.

In other setups, you’d need to add insert weight and/or broadhead weight (which often results in needing to spine up, which also increases weight in almost all instances) to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a happy medium worked best for me just shy of 500 grains. I still have a relatively flat trajectory and also quite a bit heavier than I was. It’s not necessarily the heaviest arrows that work, but more about having a higher FOC, or more weight up front. 

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

In old enough to remember you putting an extra 50 grains up front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heavy aluminum  arrow and 125 to 150 grain broadheads. Use to shoot straight through a deer at 20 yrds with a 35 lbs kodiak lol

15 minutes ago, mattypotpie8S said:

I've added some foc & switched to 125 heads that's it. Some guys are really keen to get a pass threw and kill the dirt on the other side too

I believe it's about shoulder blades and tough angles.  I'm puzzled people have a problem with heavy arrows.  I look at it like magnum rifles.  Better a bit too much than too little. 

Ranch Fairy is a bit over the top, but he is trying to test arrows and broadheads in a scientific manner.  He takes a boatload of grief for it.  His goal is to help bow hunters kill/recover a higher percentage of game.  Everyone is an expert, but I don't know of anyone who has put in the work that he and Ed Ashby have.  The Hunting Public drank the Kool-Aide too.  You can shoot Twizzlers and flappers and kill deer, but you can't say you have scientific proof that they will work better than heavier arrows with durable cut-on-contact heads.  I wonder how many shoulder hit deer would have bit the dust if the industry never pushed speed and mechanical broadheads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NonTypical said:

Also by adding the extra weight up front helped me achieve identical points of impact between field tips and broadheads. 

The extra weight slows your arrows down so the broad head doesn't plane.

11 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Could be. But after trying different combinations, heavier wasn’t always better for accuracy. For my setup anyway. It was last year but I seem to remember that adding more weight up front, I would loose the identical Impact of both heads. After many different combinations, I seemed to find the sweet spot on what worked for my setup. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NonTypical said:

Could be. But after trying different combinations, heavier wasn’t always better for accuracy. For my setup anyway. It was last year but I seem to remember that adding more weight up front, I would loose the identical Impact of both heads. After many different combinations, I seemed to find the sweet spot on what worked for my setup. 

How’s your season been so far

43 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

How’s your season been so far

Uneventful. I got hurt at work in October and haven’t been able to get out. On the flip side, I finally got the euro back from last year that I spoke to you about that I couldn’t find. Someone found him the day before I did. I’m very happy for that, and very grateful for things in general. The accident has kind of put things into perspective for me. How about your season?

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

500 grains and a razor sharp Magnus buck hornet (out of the package is no longer “sharp” enough for me). Dude knows what he stalking about and they back it up with experience, not internet claims. These guys prepare for worse case angled shots not sitting over a food plot in a Treestand. I punch shoulders with this setup, both shoulders on a 8 point. I won’t go back to a mechanical in a compound. Theirs a happy spot in every set up, and most of them work, till they don’t…

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rob-c said:

A broadhead doesn't plane if your arrow flies straight. It is true that an arrow and bow are easier to tune at slower speeds.

Edited by BowmanMike

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

A broadhead doesn't plane if your arrow flies straight. It is true that an arrow and bow are easier to tune at slower speeds.

You are correct  , if a bow is tuned one should be able to shoot any fixed head. There’s a bit more to it than just a well tuned bow but it is huge starter for good arrow flight.  

Edited by rob-c

31 minutes ago, rob-c said:

You are correct  , if a bow is tuned one should be able to shoot any fixed head. There’s a bit more to it than just a well tuned bow but it is huge starter for good arrow flight.  

Yup,spine is important too. Grip is as well,I was struggling with mine for a while. And correct Drawlength also affects arrow flight. Pretty crazy how much is involved in that.  

In the end it was pretty easy for me to go to a high foc arrow combo. My arrows are about 560 grains and I shoot a 60# bow with 30" DL. 300 spine is fine for my set up.

I shot a small doe quartering away and the arrow got stuck on the opposite leg. It was a downward angle and I almost hit the leg bone knuckle head on. The single bevel 2 blade head cut the bulgy part of the knuckle,that was pretty impressive. Bad thing was i didnt get my head back,it must have come out at some point,I couldn't find it. The arrow was stuck in the doe for most of the distance traveled. 

• Like 1