Shooting Adult arrows

Lucky118

23 hours ago, Lucky118 said:

Anybody else  follow Ranch Fairy?

What is your DL and poundage? I bet we could get you pretty close for arrow spine if you wanna give it a whirl. Generally it is better to be overspined than underspined,nobody wants a carbon arrow blowing up on release.

39 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

What is your DL and poundage? I bet we could get you pretty close for arrow spine if you wanna give it a whirl. Generally it is better to be overspined than underspined,nobody wants a carbon arrow blowing up on release.

Shooting 70 lbs 29 1/2 in arrow. Thinking of going to 150 grain  wasp sharpshooter blades.

3 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

A broadhead doesn't plane if your arrow flies straight. It is true that an arrow and bow are easier to tune at slower speeds.

Do you  bare shaft tune your arrows? I want yo do that this yr. Was watching how to do it on RF. Have never done it before.

10 hours ago, NonTypical said:

Uneventful. I got hurt at work in October and haven’t been able to get out. On the flip side, I finally got the euro back from last year that I spoke to you about that I couldn’t find. Someone found him the day before I did. I’m very happy for that, and very grateful for things in general. The accident has kind of put things into perspective for me. How about your season?

Had a quick season this year. Used my Tactacams this year to actually stay out of the woods until my target buck started showing himself during legal. He did so 2 days in a row so I slipped in and hunted an hour or so and killed him broadside at 15 yards. Our farm got hit with EHD bad so I stopped booking deer trips which gave me the chance to go out to some public and go back to the basics. He was 157” 9pt

• Like 1

Had a quick season this year. Used my Tactacams this year to actually stay out of the woods until my target buck started showing himself during legal. He did so 2 days in a row so I slipped in and hunted an hour or so and killed him broadside at 15 yards. Our farm got hit with EHD bad so I stopped booking deer trips which gave me the chance to go out to some public and go back to the basics. He was 157” 9pt
Dang that's some mass for a 9pt. To score 150+.........congrats to you my friend!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

Congrats Steve. Sounds like a great deer. 

4 hours ago, Lucky118 said:

Do you  bare shaft tune your arrows? I want yo do that this yr. Was watching how to do it on RF. Have never done it before.

It is not that hard but it is a journey. It can be confusing but you will learn about your form and bow. 

Shoot more than one bareshaft to rule out a weird arrow. 

And don't shoot when you get tired and your form starts to break down.

As far as your bow,how heavy of an arrow do you want to end up with? what spine do you shoot now,300 or 250? If you go real heavy up front you need a stiffer spine.

• Like 1

I switched last year, and it may have been mentioned earlier.. but a standard carbon arrow with decent spine and not a monstrous broadhead should pass through with ease. If not, your bow needs tuning or your broadhead needs to be changed to something else.. 

The reason for heavier arrows is.. "Just in Case" and for anyone who hasn't been there, shouldn't comment against.. 

When you accidentally get stuck in a front shoulder, a heavier, higher FOC arrow with a single bevel head and alike helical or offset fletch.. will get you through the first shoulder and into the goods.. That is the reason for these arrows.. Also, a clean super super sharp head, from a well tuned bow will zip through a whitetail and when flying perfect, some deer act like they weren't even hit.. There are most certainly benefits from it, but as obvious as it seems, Speed drops fast, but energy gains! 

Arrows fly better too when there's more weight up front, Just like darts.. 

I machined 100 grain inserts for my Beman ICS 400 2 years ago and they flew better instantly. and much deeper into the target, even with a Rage head. 505gr TAW

This year I switched To the super nova 250 spine shafts. Added 100 grain inserts ( if i remember correctly) and jumped up to a 125gr right single bevel head. My arrows are fletched with a 5degree right helical and they flat out drive deep into the target. I dont shoot past 30 yards for the sake of ethical shots. And this setup is just great. Im at 580gr. TAW. The Right helical, and Right single bevel helps literally "snap" bone and break them open or split them.. and allows more penetration..  

Ive lost a few deer with both fixed and mechanical heads due to shoulder hits.. at very close range and the 30yards range. And I dont want that to happen again to the best of my ability.. this isnt bullet proof but it sure helps.  

This is not needed to harvest whitetail at all, but it is needed for "Just in case" .. 

Especially if shooting big bodied bucks.. why short yourself.. 

I shot at my number 1 hitlist buck a few years ago, 250+lb buck 8.5 years old... and as i watched my 390 gr Rage tipped arrow heading for him at 34yards, all I could think of the entire path of that arrow in that split second was, Idk if thats enough arrow for a big brute like that, at that distance.. But I missed and just cut back hairs.. Thats when I started experimenting and changing.. 

My z7 at 28" Draw 71# and rage tip.. had never had issues before, If heavy bone wasnt hit..  

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

there's a lot to arrow penetration. arrows are generally smaller diameter and bows now are cranking. a budget bow now is comfortably as fast as a speed bow from a decade ago. i mean if a bow now is less than 330's fps IBO it's basically a turd. ranch fairy takes things a bit too far at times. also the bowhunting public posts BS all over social media that gets some in trouble. i was just making a comment not long ago how spots throughout the shoulder bone vary and hitting down by the knuckle is bad news for many setups. then insert a guy here or there that posts they broke through and tell me i'm wrong yet doesn't divulge he's shooting over 70lbs and a monster weight of an arrow at 750 or so grains to do it. then your average joe blow hunter with an arrow 2/3 that weight and over 10lbs less draw weight sees it and starts flinging arrows at a quartering toward deer. ranch fairy is posting stuff that's been around forever. it's no different than a speed junky saying he doesn't have to worry about a deer ducking the arrow. you have to be practical with your setup and then just use it to kill deer without over thinking it.

• Like 1

I am on the heavier side of the middle of the road with my setup I guess. I shoot a 60# bow with 30 DL and my 565 gr arrows are traveling at 250 fps. A deer can dodge a 300 fps arrow just the same. My pin gap is not bad at all,I set my slider at 25 and am about 2"low at 30 and 2" high at 20. I figure if I was to shoot further I also would have time to range.

I feel confident about getting two holes in almost any spot I could hit a deer,except for the knuckle or the spine of the shoulder blade. I still don't take quartering to or frontal shots as that is too high risk for my liking.

I do like how quiet my bow is with these arrows.

• Like 1

Last week’s Meateater podcast episode again goes over this and is pretty interesting. Last summer, I needed more arrows and the ICS 340 Whiteouts I had were discontinued. After researching a bit, I got bit by the Ranch Fairy bug and went with a Sirius Vulcan 250 at 31” long with a stainless insert and 200 grain Grizzly Stik single bevels. Seeing the crazy penetration on my block target was intriguing to me. Do I need a 652 grain arrow? Definitely not. Was it fun creating a new setup that I have confidence in? Absolutely.

I know bullet and arrow analogies are less than perfect, but, I think of it kind of like this: a .243, .30-06, and .45-70 all have their place in the deer woods. I don’t shoot past 35 or so yards, so the .45-70 of arrows is cool with me. Plus, it is darn quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3