More Good News For NY

Now anything we buy will have to be "NYS Compliant" and will probably cost twice as much:scare:

Legislation (S.4630-B/A.5418-B) Regulates Chemicals in Upholstered Furniture, Mattresses, and Electronic Enclosures

Governor Kathy Hochul has announced the signing of legislation S.4630-B/A.5418-B which will prohibit the sale of furniture, mattresses, and electronic displays containing certain dangerous flame retardant chemicals that have been linked to significantly elevated risks of neurological injury, hormone disruption, and cancer.

Governor Hochul Signs Legislation to Protect New Yorkers From Harmful Flame Retardant Chemicals in Consumer Products (ny.gov)

• 2 weeks later...
Now anything we buy will have to be "NYS Compliant" and will probably cost twice as much:scare:
Legislation (S.4630-B/A.5418-B) Regulates Chemicals in Upholstered Furniture, Mattresses, and Electronic Enclosures
Governor Kathy Hochul has announced the signing of legislation S.4630-B/A.5418-B which will prohibit the sale of furniture, mattresses, and electronic displays containing certain dangerous flame retardant chemicals that have been linked to significantly elevated risks of neurological injury, hormone disruption, and cancer.
Governor Hochul Signs Legislation to Protect New Yorkers From Harmful Flame Retardant Chemicals in Consumer Products (ny.gov)

Wait you want those chemicals in your home?

Maybe we should put mercury on your pillow every night or I can replace your kitchen pipes with lead pipes. Or we can go find your kid or grandkids room and paint it with lead paint.

Or better yet let’s put asbestos all over their room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

Maybe we should put mercury on your pillow every night or I can replace your kitchen pipes with lead pipes. Or we can go find your kid or grandkids room and paint it with lead paint.

Maybe you should quit responding to my posts because you CLEARLY don't get the point very often.

The point of the post was that manufacturers are not going to change the way they make product like TV's, furniture, mattresses etc. to meet New York State requirements.

You truly are a lost soul.

• Like 1

Maybe you should quit responding to my posts because you CLEARLY don't get the point very often.
The point of the post was that manufacturers are not going to change the way they make product like TV's, furniture, mattresses etc. to meet New York State requirements.
 You truly are a lost soul.

You would be shocked NY is a fairly large Market, other states like California have done things like this as well. As more large states do the same yes they for sure will change

54 minutes ago, Chef said:

You would be shocked NY is a fairly large Market, other states like California have done things like this as well. As more large states do the same yes they for sure will change

Better to ask how these toxin got into the furniture and childrens products and matrasses in the 1st place . Another save the world moment courtesy from the good ole Lib State of California . And this stupid law that didn't stop fires but instead poisoned you swept through the nation . 

Why are flame retardants in furniture? A 1975 California furniture flammability standard called Technical Bulletin 117 (TB 117) led to the use of harmful and ineffective flame retardant chemicals in furniture and children's product foam. This California regulation was followed across all of North America.
Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I highly doubt anyone is using these compounds in industry for the last 30 years.  I spent 40 years with environmental engineer in my job title.   Per legislation they are.

halogenated chemicals,

organophosphorus chemicals,

and organonitrogen chemicals. 

Well, halogenated chemicals have been long banned as ozone killers, organophosphorus chemicals are relatives of sarin gas, so I don't see that happening if for no other reason you would have to log every ounce of these chemicals used because they could be used as a weapon of mass destruction.   The Feds require tracking at every point.  Can't say I know much about organonitrogen but I'm sure it's toxic.  Industry has very good reasons not to use hazardous chemicals in their process.

Kathy has been playing a lot of tricks lately.  This is a "feel good" piece of legislation for things that are already legislated.  But she can say she did something now.

The most environmental president we ever had????   Nixon   

Before him nothing really existed, and anything goes.  He formed the EPA, OSHA and the basis of all the environmental laws as we have them today.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Chef said:

Why do you feel dragging someone’s loved ones negatively into a conversation is in any way appropriate?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

Kathy has been playing a lot of tricks lately.  This is a "feel good" piece of legislation for things that are already legislated.  But she can say she did something now.

Great information and nice to be informed by someone actually in the field.

Just goes to show that Hochul is no better than any of the other politicians that want to make themselves look good and in reality, aren't doing squat. She has been on my list of "who not" to vote for.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

I highly doubt anyone is using these compounds in industry for the last 30 years.  I spent 40 years with environmental engineer in my job title.   Per legislation they are.

halogenated chemicals,

organophosphorus chemicals,

and organonitrogen chemicals. 

Well, halogenated chemicals have been long banned as ozone killers, organophosphorus chemicals are relatives of sarin gas, so I don't see that happening if for no other reason you would have to log every ounce of these chemicals used because they could be used as a weapon of mass destruction.   The Feds require tracking at every point.  Can't say I know much about organonitrogen but I'm sure it's toxic.  Industry has very good reasons not to use hazardous chemicals in their process.

The most environmental president we ever had????   Nixon   

Before him nothing really existed, and anything goes.  He formed the EPA, OSHA and the basis of all the environmental laws as we have them today.

She also just announced a way to help the bus driver and CDL driver shortage by increasing access to getting a road test for a CDL. Which isn't an issue in the least. Can get a road test scheduled anytime. Another feel good and does nothing act. Anyone not in the business thinks oh great maybe that will help ... When the reality is it's not even paramount to the issue at all. Lack of CDL drivers stems from so many other things and one of them being the increased amount of requirements to get and keep the license which the govt has handed down and helped to cause the issue.  Thus causing younger people not to be interested in getting one.   Besides a few other issues ... That have nothing to do with access to getting road tests. 

• Like 2

Kathy Hochul did the commencement speech for my daughter's graduation from Geneseo several years back.  She was in the State legislature at the time.  She spent 20 minutes of dribble on her accomplishments.   It was fairly odd to me, and I felt the only speech she knew how to give was one from her election campaign. 

Very lame and unimpressive.  You couldn't spend a few moments composing something that would actually try to inspire new graduates than try to win votes with their parents????  Wow!

• Like 2

I'm not sure where I fall on her time as governor, but she has always graciously came and spoken to our 4-H teens when we have done our annual Capitol Days trip. She was in 4-H as a youth, and always talks about how the skills she learned in 4-H have helped her, she has never spoken politics to the youth. I am thankful for the help she's been to us in the past, and she's always been friendly the few times I have interacted with her. We are hopeful that she will talk to the teens again this year as governor. 

All politicians are bums. Stop letting this broken system keep us at odds with eachother. In reality I bet we are all alot closer in principles than you realize. All the woman and men on this sight are probably pretty moral good humans. It is politics and government policy that keep us divided, not even our actual position and views of the world. I see everyone on here capable of helping and even loving eachother, why are we so quick to attack eachother over mild differences of opinion. 

Edited by Kmartinson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That’s how Liberals argue their point. They try to tug at your heart strings rather than using logic. 

So it’s not logical to regulate the used of lead pain to protect children…. Sometimes things need to hit home for people for it to make senses

Also not a liberal

1 hour ago, Chef said:

It’s proving a point that regulation is important and showing why

It’s is a threat like response and in a disgusting and sad manner.  Read it again but think of your family as the subject. If you still see it as okay you are way different than me and I would like to think most others also.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:26 AM, Chef said:

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH

30 minutes ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

It’s is a threat like response and in a disgusting and sad manner.  Read it again but think of your family as the subject. If you still see it as okay you are way different than me and I would like to think most others also.

Without a doubt. Walks like a Lib, Talks like a Lib. And makes sure he continues to post that he is not a Lib. Riiiiiiight !!

• Like 1

This ones a bit personal, flame retardants are killing firemen . This is an excellent video well worth your time , although I tear up .

it’s unfortunate this video focuses so much on wearing a mask only, the smoke leeches into your skin, I’d smell smoke for a couple days worth of showers 

Also many states are looking into these products and regulations .

https://www.saferstates.com/toxic-chemicals/toxic-flame-retardants/

Edited by Nomad
  • Thanks 1

This ones a bit personal, flame retardants are killing firemen . This is an excellent video well worth your time , although I tear up .
it’s unfortunate this video focuses so much on wearing a mask only, the smoke leeches into your skin, I’d smell smoke for a couple days worth of showers 
[/url]  Also many states are looking into these products and regulations .
https://www.saferstates.com/toxic-chemicals/toxic-flame-retardants/

Very interesting, so you agree we should ban these products and support the governors bill?

So you are saying we should ban these products ?

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

Haven’t looked at the Bill . I’m generally not a law or regulation for everything type of guy , and I’m not 100% sure here as well . 

It’s only been of late the fire service did much of anything about cancer , many because it took a while to figure it out . We never had our goods laundered ,and till a few years ago, we were issued only one set and they were filthy for your whole career.

Now guys get two sets and send one out for cleaning after a fire ,if they choose . Most never showered after a fire, as cleaning tools came first , by then you were no longer sweaty , I’d wash my face ,dig black snot out of my nose , put on a fresh t shirt .

Today you get time to shower,  change and so on , they train guys on it in the academy, I never was told a thing .

There’s no question these products are a large part of our cancer , bygone days  these types  of cancer in FF wasn’t as prevalent .

Ive a photo on my wall of six of us from the early ‘90s at a busy house , 4 out of the six have had job related cancer one 2x and we buried one last summer . It weighs heavy on my mind ,  I’d probably be for it .

As far as those manufacturers claims , today’s fires burn hotter and faster, because of synthetics , the  natural fibers and wood furnishings in homes of yesterday were safer for all ! 

That said I’m helping my future son in law study for the next test .

• Like 1