Live From the DEER woods 2022. Stories and pictures, post them up if you have them.

wolc123

I finished butchering my last button buck Thursday, and placed the scraps on the bait pile.  I just checked that out and it looks like a fox paid it a visit last night, but not much else.  

We only got a light dusting from the “lake effect” snow blast that hit the southern part of wmu 9F a little harder. 

There was just enough snow for me to ski out to my back corn plot.  Surprisingly, that 1.5 acre plot is still holding some corn.  

My larger plot up front, planted 2 weeks later, yielded far less and is now picked completely  clean.   It looks like the deer were feeding on the winter wheat in front of it last night.

It looks like they are really hitting that back corn plot, and the tracks show that there is  one old “toe dragger” in the mix.  I was surprised to see a few purple top turnips half eaten back there, while there is still some corn on the stalks.

DEE155D3-0F6E-4EAF-87CF-B3C14086BA93.jpeg

59928E48-DA42-4C26-92E4-8AC4D27756AF.jpeg

1E9ED2BC-4633-479F-84BB-A20FCCE2032E.jpeg

E1E632F6-01AB-4771-BA0A-C7945E34F11A.jpeg

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Just bumped this thread because Enigma asked to see a picture of my buck (on bbb’s 7 year itch thread), and someone just asked for a 2022 live thread on the 2021 one, so I figured I would kill two birds with one stone.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Just bumped this thread because Enigma asked to see a picture of my buck (on bbb’s 7 year itch thread), and someone just asked for a 2022 live thread on the 2021 one, so I figured I would kill two birds with one stone.

Now that's comedy!

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

There was also talk of deer nuts. Is hair on or off preferred?

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

There was also talk of deer nuts. Is hair on or off preferred?

Don’t know about the hair, but pepper is the secret ingredient.  Use plenty of that and they taste better than sea oysters.  If you decide to give them a try (most folks don’t have the balls to try them), don’t forget to make a slit thru the outer membrane, or they will explode in the frying pan.  

45 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Don’t know about the hair, but pepper is the secret ingredient.  Use plenty of that and they taste better than sea oysters.  If you decide to give them a try (most folks don’t have the balls to try them), don’t forget to make a slit thru the outer membrane, or they will explode in the frying pan.  

Yeah. They don’t make a strong enough drug for me to even consider that move. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Four Seasons said:

Yeah. They don’t make a strong enough drug for me to even consider that move. 

I didn’t save any from the three bucks that I killed (two of which were “antlerless”) last season, because it was dark when I gutted them.  

Removal is a delicate operation, that is best done with good lighting.  The only deer, that I killed in the morning last year, lacked the oysters.  She did contain a fair amount of milk though.  

Hopefully, I can get one or two bucks in the morning this year.  My odds of that would improve a lot, if that new crossbow law gets passed.  

On 3/11/2022 at 2:00 PM, squirrelwhisperer said:

I never had them and I am certainly NOT asking anyone to let me try theirs.

No Doubt. Folks trying them is like them putting warning labels on Hemorrhoid cream. Makes you wonder. Who was that first guy that said …. Hey let’s cut them off and give it a shot… Hold my Beer. 

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

I like Black Pepper in Marinara sauce along with Tumeric. Tumeric is hard for the body to absorb without some Black Pepper.   

That's tonight along with High Protein Elbows. 

On your deer balls?

• Haha 1

Can't speak for me Mr. Bill, I hear and respect your position, however my drive to turkey hunt equalls my drive to deer hunt. I'm sure I am not alone.

I was in the woods 20 out of 31 days of season last year and make sure well before season i can be free of responsibility for may. I hunt a higher percentage of possible days in turkey season vs deer hunting. I scout and use cell cams for turkeys(and waterfoul), year round the same way as i do deer, and I practice conservation of both species equally.

I also have a pretty good knowledge of 30,000 acres of public land and kill deer and turkeys on public every year. I also work hard 1 week a year to maintain a lease. 

I hear and respect your time compromises but I definitely do both with an equally strong passion.

21 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Right you are Wolc. I have only been out perhaps 25 times for Rifle Deer Hunting in - damn-- 48 years.

Now if,I had some Money and Owned  even 15Acres-- sure,I would be out much more to hunt unpressurized  Deer on a Small piece of Private. 

Being in at one time 3 Different  Gun Clubs,I can tell you Wolc that plenty of super Hardcore Deer Hunters care Very Little for Hunting the Wild Turkey. Alot will go out just on the opener in Spring and that is it. Maybe Twice-- then it is all Fishing.  

I understand that.  Most of my motivation for deer hunting and bass fishing comes from my appetite.  I love eating both, but don’t care much at all for turkey (store bought, farm raised, or wild), or any other white-meated bird except for ruffed grouse.  

I may or may not give turkeys a shot this spring.  One of my issues with that, other than the bad eating, is all the bugs in the woods at that time of year. The lakes and rivers are much more hospitable then.

I did manage to kill a hen wild turkey in the fall, a few years back, and that was a bit better eating than a few spring toms  that friends have given me a few times.  I’d still rather be up north at that time, pursuing deer with my crossbow and ML.  

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 3:27 PM, Four Seasons said:

No Doubt. Folks trying them is like them putting warning labels on Hemorrhoid cream. Makes you wonder. Who was that first guy that said …. Hey let’s cut them off and give it a shot… Hold my Beer. 

I don't know what would be worse, actually eating them or saying to a friend, "Hey, let me taste your ballz."  

On 3/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, blackbeltbill said:

Old Dudes here  will like the movie-- " Nobody". 

Now Y'All- check out the movie- Nobody currently  on HBO. Great movie it is.

Thanks for the suggestion Bill.  My wife and I watched it a few nights ago.   I figured she would like it because she liked “gotta call Saul” and the lead was the same guy.  

I thought it was very entertaining, but quite far-fetched.  It reminded me of the old cowboy and Indian movies, where none of the Indians is able to hit anything, with their guns or bows.  Old Jim, from “Taxi”, and his shotgun, was my favorite part.  

I wonder if the writer was the same as “Breaking Bad”, and “Gotta call Saul” ?  There were lots of similarities.  They really hit the Russian mob hard in that move (like the Indians in the old westerns or the Mexican cartel in “Breaking bad”), so it probably gets really good ratings, since the Ukrainian invasion. 

• 1 month later...

I have not seen a turkey on our place, near the nw corner of wmu 9F, in a couple years.  I don’t expect much out there tomorrow morning, in the couple of hours that I have to spare before church, but I will give it a shot.   

My folks saw a flock over at their place, near the se corner of 9F, several times over the last week.  Dad said there was 3 or 4 fanned out toms in the group.  Hopefully, they will still be around next Saturday, when I can get my first crack at them.  

If I can remove a tom or two from the “deer woods” this year, then the corn I plant might last a little longer, hopefully till the end of Holliday ML deer season.  

That won’t make much difference, because turkeys really don’t eat much corn, if the coons don’t first nock it down off the stalks for them. I plan on trapping the “damaging” coons heavy, starting in August.  Besides saving loads of corn, that coon eradication is also highly beneficial to the turkeys.  

• Like 1