Healthy snacks?

Swamp_bucks

I'm trying to get healthier and lose some weight.  I ready started going back to the gym and using my bike at home.  My weakness is a sweet tooth and my energy drinks since I don't like coffee.

Does anyone have any alternatives for a sweet tooth?  I eat plenty of fruit,peanut butter,trailmix,ect.  I've also looked into getting protein powder and making smoothies but I don't know what I'm looking at when it comes to that stuff. 

I know it'll get better the more I eat healthy just looking for other ideas.

I’m in the same boat with being healthy. I’m trying to build muscle/gain weight. A couple friends who workout a lot advised me to get the whey protein below. I’m 3 weeks in to working out 5 days a week and take that immediately following my workout. 
I can’t help you with the good stuff bc I’m eating for a different purpose. Good luck Swamp!

3268B4F7-DA22-40EA-AFDA-3A5927655BAE.jpeg

I lost about 40 lbs between April and Halloween this last year.  The only real major changes I made (was already exercising 5 days a week for years, it really doesn't work by itself):

Replaced lunch with a Greek yogurt+ granola.  Portioned dinner appropriately.  To avoid snacking before bed I'd have a big slug of Metamucil so my belly wasn't growling at bed time.

I've also started swimming in the morning in September, and it's amazing cardio.  Hasn't led to weight loss, but it's tightened up my core alot and continue to loss body fat.  Doesn't make you feel broken the next day like a 3 mile jog does, which I continue to do but only once a week.

Edit:. For a snack, ground venison jerky.  All protein baby!

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 3

Vanilla almond butter is not a bad option. I eat one for breakfast at 5:30 and dont eat again til 9:00 ,then it's one serving of triscuits and an athletic greens drink. I found drinking a ton of water makes a giant difference in food cravings for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilentStalker said:

I’m in the same boat with being healthy. I’m trying to build muscle/gain weight. A couple friends who workout a lot advised me to get the whey protein below. I’m 3 weeks in to working out 5 days a week and take that immediately following my workout. 
I can’t help you with the good stuff bc I’m eating for a different purpose. Good luck Swamp!

3268B4F7-DA22-40EA-AFDA-3A5927655BAE.jpeg

For your goals, gaining weight/muscle mass, I do not recommend taking after working out, unless you work out in the late PM.  During workout, your body has shifted your blood supply to where it is needed, your muscles and not GI tract. If you take your protein shake in the evening, before bedtime, while you are asleep your body will shift blood supply to GI tract maximizing absorption.  This will make the protein available for muscle building when your body does it, which is maximal while you sleep.  This is the opposite advise you give to a dieter looking to lose weight.  Regarding protein, no-fat milk and egg whites are the only complete proteins, that is they contain all the amino acids.  Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and hence building blocks of muscles.

The product you choose is excellent.

Edited by DoubleDose

Vanilla almond butter is not a bad option. I eat one for breakfast at 5:30 and dont eat again til 9:00 ,then it's one serving of triscuits and an athletic greens drink. I found drinking a ton of water makes a giant difference in food cravings for me.
What's an Athletic Greens Drink......I need to drop the diet pepsi.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

For your goals, gaining weight/muscle mass, I do not recommend taking after working out, unless you work out in the late PM.  During workout, your body has shifted your blood supply to where it is needed, your muscles and not GI tract. If you take your protein shake in the evening, before bedtime, while you are asleep your body will shift blood supply to GI tract maximizing absorption.  This will make the protein available for muscle building when your body does it, which is maximal while you sleep.  This is the opposite advise you give to a dieter looking to lose weight.  Regarding protein, no-fat milk and egg whites are the only complete proteins, that is they contain all the amino acids.  Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and hence building blocks of muscles.

The product you choose is excellent.

Thanks DD for helfpul information. I do workout at night (6pmish) and take it after that. If i am understanding, you say i should wait longer like before bed?

I hate skim milk but have been drinking it as well as eating eggs almost daily. 

3 minutes ago, SilentStalker said:

Thanks DD for helfpul information. I do workout at night (6pmish) and take it after that. If i am understanding, you say i should wait longer like before bed?

I hate skim milk but have been drinking it as well as eating eggs almost daily. 

Your timing is good.  You will get used to the skim milk, it takes time.  Eventually regular milk will taste like heavy cream to you and you will not like it.  Regarding eggs, I said egg whites.  Yolks are fat, whites are protein.  You do need fat in your diet, though to absorb vitamins A, D, E, & K.  I would by both eggs and egg whites.  When eating eggs, use one whole egg (for the yolk) and substitute the remainder for egg white only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

I need to drop the Diet Pepsi also. Have lost a little under 30 pounds on Weight Watchers. Diet Pepsi is zero points which is why I drink it.  Not much of a water drinker unless it is really hot out. That is my “coffee” as no one in my house drinks coffee. Need to find something to replace it but picky on what I drink. No Gatorade, energy drinks, etc. 

3 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

https://athleticgreens.com/en?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrvexm86Y9QIVip6zCh1uUAukEAAYASAAEgLLIPD_BwE

Basically it's a plant based multi vitamin and uses mushrooms as pre and probiotics . It's  definitely on the expensive side but I can tell a difference if I skip it for a weekend .

I like dried fruit like bananas, pineapple, apricots or mango, I get packages of them at the local dollar store and they are just fruit and nothing added...Also could try freeze dried fruit in small packages like blueberries or strawberries. I carry them in my pack while out hunting and they make a quick pick me up or a simple tea with them. Texture may be not the best but they taste good and are healthy.. 

I also make my own fruit leathers and dry that on a dehydrator at home, simply make in a blender and pour on a sheet and dehydrate and one can combine flavors.  

Two years ago I was up to 250 lbs (6'1" tall) Knees and hips hurt, poor endurance. I have a horrible sweet tooth and love to snack. I have two cups of coffee in the a.m. and no caffeine the rest of the day (energy drinks are poison to me!), and i really dont care for soda. 

I went cold turkey on day time snacks. No donuts/baked goods or candy. I love milk and would drink several glasses a day. Cut it out for just one small fruit juice glass before bed...a lifetime habit. Lets face it, we dont need snacks no matter how we justify it( if otherwise healthy). Probably the healthiest snacks you can eat the no carb snack...fruit. 

I am down under 230 for over a year now. I desperately want to get to 220 . My knees and hips dont hurt any more, and I do not get mid afternoon "lag". A lot of that is caused by caffeine withdrawal. Get away from it!

I am a firm believer in a big breakfast...eggs, toast, fruit every a.m. (5:30-6 a.m.) with no snacks before lunch. I love ham/bacon/ leftover steak /etc. with my breakfast, but the funny thing is when i dont have it or when I only eat one egg and slice of toast, I dont feel less full/hungry later. 

I started getting serious about my weight two years ago and lost 50 pounds over seven months. No big secret to weight loss, burn off more calories than you take on a daily basis and you lose weight. The healthy eating has never been a problem for meals, my wife is a registered dietitian so she is always making good, healthy food. The big thing was reducing sugar and snacks. Greek yogurt with fruit or granola is breakfast. A sandwich or Kind bar is lunch and usually my lovely wife makes dinner. 
The big thing is to reduce sugar and increase activity. Walking is the best thing to be doing daily. Low impact, and it gets you moving. Get a Fitbit or other fitness tracker and that helps you set goals to motivate you. I do join a gym for the months of January thru April because my strenuous outdoor activity is limited for those months. 
Don’t overthink it. Simple is easier to stick with and after a short time, you feel better and that helps you to stick with it. Nothing good happens fast, so set long term goals and chart your progress. Helps you with the motivation part to see change over time.

Good luck. The early weeks are the most difficult.

I'm trying to get healthier and lose some weight.  I ready started going back to the gym and using my bike at home.  My weakness is a sweet tooth and my energy drinks since I don't like coffee.
Does anyone have any alternatives for a sweet tooth?  I eat plenty of fruit,peanut butter,trailmix,ect.  I've also looked into getting protein powder and making smoothies but I don't know what I'm looking at when it comes to that stuff. 
I know it'll get better the more I eat healthy just looking for other ideas.

Look for keto snacks since they will be low in sugar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1