Proposed Fishing reg changes

Robhuntandfish

i would prefer to keep it the same as it is with 3.  Ive thought about this and the days i peg a limit in 20 minutes it would be nice to boat another couple but the lake is just so good right now i Hate to see it change.  The thing they need to change IMO is the statewide limit of 5.  Statewide it should be 3 (except Erie of course).  What walleye fishery is better than Oneida and can support limits of 5?

I like the change to May 1 for Pike and June 15 for Bass.  

The trout regs get more and more confusing every year i feel like, but i think it is being very specific to certain fisheries is proba a good idea instead of being general.  But really need to check the regs anywhere you trout fish if you plan to keep any.  And often with trout whether i mean to or not, I have one that shouldnt be released except to the grease cause they are more delicate for sure. 

• Thanks 1

oneida lake walleye regs may need some change if in fact the population is too high like they say, i have noticed alot less shad/ baitfish this may be due to high walleye populations but i wish they would do a size slot limit with the 5 keepers ...i do like the 3 fish as it stands but  from my fishing results last 2yrs there is a ton of eyes in the lake , over populated well im not the guy to say.

Just to be conversational....Didn't bass season open June 15 and pike season May 1 for many years prior to going to the present  Saturday dates ?

I do remember when I was a kid  the statewide season for bass opened July 1.....

i would prefer to keep it the same as it is with 3.  Ive thought about this and the days i peg a limit in 20 minutes it would be nice to boat another couple but the lake is just so good right now i Hate to see it change.  The thing they need to change IMO is the statewide limit of 5.  Statewide it should be 3 (except Erie of course).  What walleye fishery is better than Oneida and can support limits of 5?
I like the change to May 1 for Pike and June 15 for Bass.  
The trout regs get more and more confusing every year i feel like, but i think it is being very specific to certain fisheries is proba a good idea instead of being general.  But really need to check the regs anywhere you trout fish if you plan to keep any.  And often with trout whether i mean to or not, I have one that shouldnt be released except to the grease cause they are more delicate for sure. 

dcc8e18656f11e60e5d58d912f042f03.jpg
I love the individual attention the trout streams are getting. @Biz calls them minnows but wild trout are a precious resource

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Just to be conversational....Didn't bass season open June 15 and pike season May 1 for many years prior to going to the present  Saturday dates ?

I do remember when I was a kid  the statewide season for bass opened July 1.....

True but back then Jesus was multiplying fish

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

dcc8e18656f11e60e5d58d912f042f03.jpg
I love the individual attention the trout streams are getting. @Biz calls them minnows but wild trout are a precious resource

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's for sure and the beautiful places to fish for them.  Used to catch brookies in a bunch of spots that no longer have anything much to speak of. 

51 minutes ago, land 1 said:

oneida lake walleye regs may need some change if in fact the population is too high like they say, i have noticed alot less shad/ baitfish this may be due to high walleye populations but i wish they would do a size slot limit with the 5 keepers ...i do like the 3 fish as it stands but  from my fishing results last 2yrs there is a ton of eyes in the lake , over populated well im not the guy to say.

Cornell prob knows more about it than us for sure.  I agree with a slot limit , might be a good idea.  Maybe get a few more trophy eyes out there.  2020 is the best I have ever seen the lake in 40 years of fishing it. Either way the lake is def doing great. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...