Buck weights

TheHornHunter

We weigh all our deer. For the area we hunt the general averages follow. For pre and early rut bucks.
1.5 yo - 115-125
2.5 yo - 135-145
3.5 yo - 155-165
4.5 yo - 175 - 185
5.5 yo 185 - 195
older 175- 200 - we personally have not taken a buck over 200 in CNY and I do not remember too many I have even heard of.

There are always outliers these are averages. Post rut bucks 2.5 and lower seem to lose less weight. 5-15% Older bucks can lose quite a bit more than that even. As you can figure our sample includes a lot more earlier bucks than late season bucks. 

Spot on from what I've seen as I weigh all of my deer also.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

That seems similar to us in 8H, all the ones I killed and weighed were 4+. We’re in prime ag though and always have a few pigs that are 200+. Interestingly, it’s never the ones with the biggest antlers. Like this one from this year, just a mean fat old slob. I think my buck this year was just rutted down. I’ve never killed one close to this late before to have anything to compare it with

54fcf5a03bf515d78f1639171af98fec.jpeg

f5e9be88e546de4cc8b0f0270d4d42d3.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone is skipping leg day

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I can't add anything to your question on post rut weights but can say I've killed (without checking my notes) two bucks over 200#.    Not surprisingly both were archery kills, a 217# 8pt in 2009 in 8N and a 203# 11pt in 9H in 2015. 

For sure another one was crowding 200# but has some controversy surrounding it, lol.  That was the one that Biz just can't let lie......I killed it and in the excitement of the moment, explained numerous times here, I didn't remove the heart and lungs when I weighed it.  IIRC it was 205# with that in so my conservative accurate weight would be 195# just to NOT fudge anything.

I've killed a couple others in the 180# range also.

The guys I hunt with have been weighing anything obviously over 1.5 YO since the early 70's and until 2009 the heaviest buck was a 163#.  Things have certainly changed for the better in the area for numerous reason such as less pressure from hunters, easier winters and high deer numbers among others.

This is the 217# buck

217 005.jpg

203# buck

3DF793AF-3887-4FCA-B2B9-611C0CCC6C90.jpeg

Those are some beauties! I'm glad I retracted my comments about putting more on the pole.. if you've been stacking them up like that since the 70's you've got me beat by a LONG shot... I'm not even a decade in lol.

Isn't it funny the things we do in the moment of excitement after a big buck kill? I haven't left the heart/lungs in but I've let my knife in a deer and lost lord knows how much other stuff that got left on the ground. I don't usually get buck fever before a kill, but it sure hits me hard after the kill. My friends actually have a running joke about the amount of stuff I lose after I kill something

10 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

This is my buck from this past bow season, a big boy and was probably up there weight wise (unfortunately never weighed), have shot a few through the years that were bigger. One of my biggest racked bucks a late season muzzlelaoder kill and he was by far the thinnest of them all, big rack but he was run down. 

20211107_070029.jpg

Beauty of a buck... looks like we have the same chain hoist. Sure does it make easy for getting them up on the pole

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Wouldn't suprise me he dropped a bunch of weight. Like others I've heard that 20-30% weight loss.  Latest I killed one was around December 1st and he was by far the skinnier of all my bigger bucks I've taken. 

That's what I'm thinking. I was always a little skeptical about how hard rut impacted our bucks because our ratios are so off and they don't need to work hard for does, but this one definitely lost a ton of weight from even the pic I have of him in late November. I'm surprised how much, but no December harvests so nothing to compare it with 

12 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

Our biggest bodied bucks have been on the lower end of our antler spectrum and our highest scoring bucks typically haven’t had much for bodies. Weird dynamic

The two biggest bodied bucks I shot - one was PY and the other probably scored about 100" but big bodied.  Had both mounted and I often hear "wow the antlers don't match the head and neck on that one."   lol 

• Like 2

Someone is skipping leg day

He’s trying! He was my #1 target this year but he shifted his range after spending the last 3 years as a homebody on my farm and we only ever got night pics and one sighting in the gray light. Pretty sure I know where he moved so will be knocking on some doors and hopefully catch up to him next year

41c295de68a5b9195318a44f4be5867b.jpeg

• Like 3

Those are some beauties! I'm glad I retracted my comments about putting more on the pole.. if you've been stacking them up like that since the 70's you've got me beat by a LONG shot... I'm not even a decade in lol.
Isn't it funny the things we do in the moment of excitement after a big buck kill? I haven't left the heart/lungs in but I've let my knife in a deer and lost lord knows how much other stuff that got left on the ground. I don't usually get buck fever before a kill, but it sure hits me hard after the kill. My friends actually have a running joke about the amount of stuff I lose after I kill something

I dragged a deer back to the truck in the dark and left my rifle in the woods, quite a ways back in lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The two biggest bodied bucks I shot - one was PY and the other probably scored about 100" but big bodied.  Had both mounted and I often hear "wow the antlers don't match the head and neck on that one."   lol 

Just blame it on your taxidermist. If only they could know about the size and quantity of the ticks too...lol!!!

• Haha 2

I’m glad this is a common thing because we couldn’t figure out if it was just our area or not. Part of me thinks people pass the ugly bucks for lack of antlers so they have an easier time growing old. Our two biggest bodied bucks were PY but barely

This one is my biggest bodied… not super long but really fat, which is kinda hard to tell in this picture

1ecf5fa151ab735063a489153fde7d19.jpg

This is my bow buck from 2020 and is one of my higher scoring NY deer but he was 30 pounds less than the buck in the last pic and taken 10 days earlier. He was a public land buck though with no meaningful ag around so was surviving off acorns and suburb landscaping

bd949f92cb27faee78f9bcb019a0b9b8.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

I can relate to that.  Never been a big antler guy, but when I killed my biggest bodied deer in recent years (43” chest girth back in 2017, I think),  I left my crossbow rope/pulley in the woods somewhere.  

Fortunately, my crossbow at the time was a small, entry-level model, and I was able to draw it without it on my next few hunts (for antlerless deer).  It was a little tough on the fingers but I got it drawn back ok a few times.

Since then, I made up a couple  of pull handles with steel hooks, short lengths of chain, and comfortable handles.  They work better than the rope pulley ever did, on that lighter draw weight crossbow, and allow for faster reload if a second shot were ever needed.  

I have also lost knives, hats, gloves, and multiple other items thru the years including a heart and liver from an old doe up in the Adirondacks last fall.  Now, I usually try to make a special point of piling all my junk up under my stand before I start gutting and when I finish.  That seems to have cured the problem. If I forget anything I can usually find it on a return trip.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Fletch said:

We weigh all our deer. For the area we hunt the general averages follow. For pre and early rut bucks.

1.5 yo - 115-125

2.5 yo - 135-145

3.5 yo - 155-165

4.5 yo - 175 - 185

5.5 yo 185 - 195

older 175- 200 - we personally have not taken a buck over 200 in CNY and I do not remember too many I have even heard of.

There are always outliers these are averages. Post rut bucks 2.5 and lower seem to lose less weight. 5-15% Older bucks can lose quite a bit more than that even. As you can figure our sample includes a lot more earlier bucks than late season bucks. 

I've never aged a NY deer, but from what my circle "believes" I'd add 15-20 pounds to these levels for 8F and 7J

• Like 1

That seems similar to us in 8H, all the ones I killed and weighed were 4+. We’re in prime ag though and always have a few pigs that are 200+. Interestingly, it’s never the ones with the biggest antlers. Like this one from this year, just a mean fat old slob. I think my buck this year was just rutted down. I’ve never killed one close to this late before to have anything to compare it with

54fcf5a03bf515d78f1639171af98fec.jpeg

f5e9be88e546de4cc8b0f0270d4d42d3.jpeg

I call him obese lol

• Like 1

Just blame it on your taxidermist. If only they could know about the size and quantity of the ticks too...lol!!!

Lol the buck I sent this year had at least 2 pounds of ticks on it when I weighed it!!

• Haha 1

I've never aged a NY deer, but from what my circle "believes" I'd add 15-20 pounds to these levels for 8F and 7J

This is pretty much non ah deer. They travel and hit a few corn fields but mostly browse, wild apples, acorns…