AAARGH! Nine months to go to deer season!

Daveboone

Thats all I have to say on that matter!

Almost! I pulled my game camera card from in front of my favorite stand last week end. Despite my lack of luck, right through the end of the season ...when I was hunting, through last week end the deer population is outstanding from the looks of it. I have pics of six different bucks different sizes and too many does and smaller deer to count. Once the snow starts settling in and before it gets too deep, deer hang in our area off the edge of the Tug. I just couldnt be there at the same time they were. It should be a banner year next year as long as the winter holds reasonable. We are also lucky that the hemorhagic fever that did so much damage only a few miles away didnt affect us.

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Seems like a long ways away but then I look at it also as..... better get to work on all the stuff I need to do, it's only 9 months away! 

But for me we could fast forward to April 1.  Hate winter and am sure waiting for open water fishing again. 

April 1st was always what I looked forward to as a sign of the passing winter. Last year I did maple sugaring for the first time and now I look forward to February. 

I also am looking forward to bow season already, and this year I made a promise to myself to have my firewood done by then. I will focus more time on bow whenever I can,no matter if it is Oct 3rd. 

• Like 1

In the southern tier we only have 10 months to get ready. I have tree stands to relocate,  2 food plots to reseed, Contact all the neighbors to reassure access, get firewood done for next year, add some heavier cover for next season. My berry patch that I have been working on for the last 2 years has been spreading nice. I have strawberries,  blackberries,  and raspberries.  The blueberries I am giving up with, but want to add elderberries,  and more blackberries this year. I have planted 2 pear trees, and an apple tree. I want to put a couple more pear trees in this year as well.

35 minutes ago, SWEDE said:

JL. I'd like to plant red rasp and blackberries. ANY tips and do you have to fence them against deer. I'd be doing it at camp

Look up invisible deer fencing. It is a 1"mesh I got it in 7' tall. The idea is the deer can't see where it ends so won't jump it. I fenced in my 3/4 acre garden and had zero deer go over. Spacing between posts can be 25'. Or staple it to the trees if you are in the woods. I would recommend the guide wire,mine is plastic,for the top to keep it from sagging and that will help with freezing rain/wet snow pull on the fence.

8 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

In the southern tier we only have 10 months to get ready. I have tree stands to relocate,  2 food plots to reseed, Contact all the neighbors to reassure access, get firewood done for next year, add some heavier cover for next season. My berry patch that I have been working on for the last 2 years has been spreading nice. I have strawberries,  blackberries,  and raspberries.  The blueberries I am giving up with, but want to add elderberries,  and more blackberries this year. I have planted 2 pear trees, and an apple tree. I want to put a couple more pear trees in this year as well.

Where are you sourcing blackberry plants from. I looked up thornless and those were too expensive. 

2 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Where are you sourcing blackberry plants from. I looked up thornless and those were too expensive. 

I have bought 3 at a time over the last 2 years from lowes. They grow and spread quick. The black berries grew up the crab apple tree that I had left in the center of the patch. Also lowes has a 1 year guarantee on plants. I paid 12 dollars each, and they were 2.5 gallon pots. Same with raspberries but they don't spread nearly as quick. I have 6 black berry bushes, and 7 rasberries.  Maybe 3 out of 20 blueberry bushes this spring. Started with 6 strawberry plants, that spread quick, A crab apple tree which is at least 60 years old, a 4 ft apple tree, and 2 6 ft pear trees.