Maple syrup buckets wanted

Thanks for looking!  I just had a catastrophic fire at my sugar shack yesterday and lost my all of my maple syrup equipment I had stored there (as well as most everything else primitive I had there).  Like everything else I do, I like to go the “primitive” or “traditional” route.  With that said, I’m looking to purchase about 75 metal sap buckets and lids.  If you have any for sale or know of someone who might have some that they would want to sell, please let me know.   I’m completely heart broken and devastated that I lost my sugar shack…especially after I just saved it from a large cherry tree, thanks to a recent wind storm.  Guess it could be worse…I could have been the squirrel that got squished when the tree fell.

PM or [email protected] or 716.866.8222

Thank you,

Dino

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

• Sad 8

.....after I removed the tree and planned how I was going to fix the grout between logs in the cordwood walls and window/door jams with my buddy the other day, I checked on things yesterday morning…not good.  I had a fire in the stove the previous evening and one of the stove pipe sections must have separated when the log fell on the roof…it separated just enough for a hot ember to fall onto one of my plastic sap drums I had stored in my "sap cooler" and start on fire.  In addition to loosing my sugar shack, and everything inside, I lost six food-grade 55-gallon sap storage drums, 50 food-grade 5-gallon sap buckets (and lids) and 75 metal sap buckets and lids.  Not sure if I will be able to get these items replaced in time for the upcoming maple syrup season…not sure I can muster up the mojo right now either.  Again, very upsetting to say the least.

• Sad 4

Dino, so sorry to see this, especially after all your hard work and craftsmanship on that structure.   I’m with Biz -I’d buy a few buckets for you if you have a source.   Maybe a GoFundMe is in order?

Theres a hardware store not too far from me that specializes in maple syrup equipment.  I’ll call tomorrow and see what they have as far as buckets go.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Otto said:

Dino, so sorry to see this, especially after all your hard work and craftsmanship on that structure.   I’m with Biz -I’d buy a few buckets for you if you have a source.   Maybe a GoFundMe is in order?

Theres a hardware store not too far from me that specializes in maple syrup equipment.  I’ll call tomorrow and see what they have as far as buckets go.  

Let me know, Tony...I'd definitely pony up a few bucks to help a fellow forum member, especially someone  as friendly and talented as Dino.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Otto said:

Just now, Pygmy said:

Let me know, Tony...I'd definitely pony up a few bucks to help a fellow forum member, especially someone  as friendly and talented as Dino.....

Sounds good Tony. You're a lot closer to Dino than I am. So whatever I would have spent in shipping, I can send you or someone else $ to buy more buckets/lids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear…..

I have 5/16 tubing, but no buckets.

Bascom has used aluminum for 5 bucks each in stock.

You should call them, they often have folks offering trade in stuff, and if they have someone interested they will call you before putting on sale in the warehouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That sucks Dino. Did the cord wood walls burn too? Anyway,I have a rich client that owns a big farm and they turned the saphouse into a pool house and they have over 300 buckets they will never use again. I can ask if you can buy some,it is in Morris,otsego county

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about the fire after so much hard works.

Not sure if any of these will help but here are some links to possibilities??

5 30 55 275 Gallon Water Sap Barrels Totes Plastic Pallets Metal... (craigslist.org)

Buckets & Bucket Covers — BascomMaple.com

Lot of 10 Maple Syrup Aluminium Sap Buckets READY TO USE TO GATHER SAP!! | eBay

• Thanks 1

Otto…let me know what you find and how I can chip in.

So sorry Dino - that’s a real gut punch for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys!  You are all very generous and I appreciate all the help…this group is a one of a kind…I’ll get it figured out.  Not the end of the world (although it felt like it)…when I take a step back, there are a lot more important things (like family and health)…my heart goes out to people that have to deal with house fires where there is much more loss than some maple syrup equipment.

I’m not going to be able to replace the character of the sugar shack but was thinking possibly a rough-cut thick lumber hybrid lean-to (I would need to be able to lock it up) next year…I may be hitting you up down the road on rough cut lumber sources.

I’m not sure if I can get the maple syrup “operation” up and running before the season but will give it the college try. I evolved from using milk and juice jugs with plastic tubing connectors from the hardware store to where I wanted to be with the traditional taps and metal buckets and lids.  I just really loved the nostalgic look, feel, and sound of sap dripping into those metal buckets hanging on my trees.

Again, thank you very much  for the support and I will be following up on some of your leads.  I’ll keep you posted.

Take care,

Dino

That's a fun idea but no material donations or "go fund me" please...there are a lot of others who are worse off than me.  Just wanted to tap (no pun intended) your potential sources to buy some things to get back on track.  Thanks to all for your help, I have some promising leads! 

If you have wood stoves in your camps, sheds, man caves, etc., I urge you to regularly clean and inspect the pipes, etc., especially where the pipe leaves the structure.  As a trapper, I hear of many trapping sheds that start on fire...very sad!  ...even though the traps are made of steel, if the fire doesn't melt the traps, it ruins the strength of the trap springs.

Again, thanks for the replies!

Take care!

PS. some photos of how I want to remember Bone Creek Sugar Shack - good times with family and friends!!

boiling.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

inside.jpg

stove.jpg

IMG_6760.jpg

kids.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

IMG_6751.jpg

IMG_6835.jpg

• Like 10

@dinorocks  I check the hardware store in DeRuyter, NY https://www.countrysidehardware.com/ 

They do on occasion have used tin buckets, but there are none in stock at the moment.  They said to call back on occasion and see if any show up.  They also have a good supply of other maple sugaring equipment in stock right now.  

Hopefully the contact from @BowmanMike comes through! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Dino, so sorry to hear this. That shack was awesome! I'm with Tacks and will be there for the rebuild. Although I like to use power tools and nailers, I suppose I can be of some help with a draw knife and cut nails!!

Leave that nonsense at home, we go with brace and bit or we dont go at all!

• Haha 3