Covid round two!

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You two guys don't follow me here.  I'm referring to the govt mandate that says only unvaxxed folks need to test and wear masks to keep their jobs.

Do you deny that anyone can bring the virus into work and infect the entire workforce?  If not, what has the mandate got to do with health and why persecute the unvaxxed when the only risk is their own?

The government wants to be seen as doing something even if what they want you to do really doesn't do much or anything at all its a  Power Trip .

Edited by phantom

1 minute ago, New York Hillbilly said:

For the sake of honesty, better understanding, and full transparency, would everyone here weighing in with all these clinical opinions and pearls of wisdom please care to share exactly what their level of medical education is, and what field of medicine they practice. 

Thank you.

Does it really matter? Medical professionals are split on it as well. The difference being the ones who disagree get cancelled from any platform that plays along . Then they go on a platform like joe rogan and the media uses their soap box to slam the individual and try to discredit the individuals medical opinion.

• Like 1

Yes, sir. I am agreeing with you lol. I oppose mandates. I can see how you might read what I wrote differently, so I will make it clear - folks arguing against vaccination on "scientific" grounds get zero support from me. Facts are facts are facts. Folks arguing vaccination on civil liberties grounds get my full support. Even if I think they're making a stupid decision, it is in the end their decision to make, since it's their body. Our history here in America of forced vaccinations is unsavory at best - this is stuff I've taught in our bioethics class - and making them second class citizens is only going to provoke exactly the opposite response as we want. If we don't force vaccinations for other diseases that are arguable much more deadly, then why COVID? Europe is a complete sh!t show right now with their mandates. I hope that folks on this side of the ocean listen to reason. 

So what you are saying is there should be zero vaccine requirements for any child to enter public school no matter what the vaccine is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Chef said:

So what you are saying is there should be zero vaccine requirements for any child to enter public school no matter what the vaccine is

If you're vaccinated you shouldnt have to worry about others? No?

• Like 1

Does it really matter? Medical professionals are split on it as well. The difference being the ones who disagree get cancelled from any platform that plays along . Then they go on a platform like joe rogan and the media uses their soap box to slam the individual and try to discredit the individuals medical opinion.

Yea split 97percent -3

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you're vaccinated you shouldnt have to worry about others? No?

Agin NO, just as with covid other vaccines can have breakthrough infections this is not abnormal.

The reason polio and measles mumps rubella are essentially gone in today’s society is that almost 100% of the population is vaxed so it breaks any chain of transmission. Hence reducing the chance of exposure to almost zero so you don’t see the breakthrough cases..

Again it’s basic science

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think mandates are wrong, I don't care if people have the vaccine or not, it's not my business. I think at school it seems to be pretty equal between the vaccinated and the non who are getting covid. Now with only 5 day isolation most people never know is was sick or not

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chef said:

Agin NO, just as with covid other vaccines can have breakthrough infections this is not abnormal.

The reason polio and measles mumps rubella are essentially gone in today’s society is that almost 100% of the population is vaxed so it breaks any chain of transmission. Hence reducing the chance of exposure to almost zero so you don’t see the breakthrough cases..

Again it’s basic science

They did not  advertise the fact that getting the vaccine doesn't guarantee you're not going to get any sickness at all or that its not going to stop the spread when it rolled  out if you remember.

When the gov does crap like that it creates mistrust, people start wondering what else are they hiding or not telling us about this vaccine.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

For the sake of honesty, better understanding, and full transparency, would everyone here weighing in with all these clinical opinions and pearls of wisdom please care to share exactly what their level of medical education is, and what field of medicine they practice. 

Thank you.

Professor of Medicine in the Nephrology Division at the University of Rochester Medical Center, PhD in Biochemistry, 20+ years of experience in the field of molecular biology, genetics, and genetic engineering, 62 peer-reviewed publications in decent journals (not Nature, Science, or Cell, but my h-index is ~39, which suggests that my work has had a decent impact on the fields I work in), bunch of other reviews, editorials and whatnot, review grants extensively for NIH, NSF, foundations...postdoc'd 3 years for Larry Tabak, who's now Director of NIH (how's that for name-dropping lol?).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=nehrke k AND rochester&sort=date&ac=yes

https://www.nehrkelab.com/

I'm never going to offer a "clinical" opinion, since in the interest of full transparency I am not an MD. But I interact on a daily basis with some of the top docs at URMC, and I can often offer an informed opinion - which like all opinions, can be mistaken. I take ownership of my mistakes and believe strongly that candid dialog, an open mind, and anti-demagoguery is the only way to get out of this mess.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, knehrke said:

Professor of Medicine in the Nephrology Division at the University of Rochester Medical Center, PhD in Biochemistry, 20+ years of experience in the field of molecular biology, genetics, and genetic engineering, 62 peer-reviewed publications in decent journals (not Nature, Science, or Cell, but my h-index is ~39, which suggests that my work has had……

Blah, blah, blah

So what your saying is my google research doesn’t make me an expert? But my source was a you- tube video that got lots thumbs up :imsohappy:

Get with the times, the right to spew ignorance is just as valid as facts and knowledge.:pleasantry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Does it really matter? Medical professionals are split on it as well. 

The short answer is, "yes". At least to me it matters. One should always consider the source. 

That is not to say a person's thoughts and opinions are not worthy of respectful consideration, and, anyone can offer their thoughts and opinions on anything. That's fine!

However, unless they have actual education, and /or demonstrated professional experience in any area; that is all it is, thoughts and opinions.  Giving more than a grain of salt, or heaven forbid making important (in this case) medical decisions based on the advice of those who are basically practicing outside their scope of practice is dangerous. 

I would no more ask a restaurant cook to come out of the kitchen to advise me on some serious medical concern I might have than I would ask/or trust my primary medical provider go into the kitchen to fix me an exceptional meal.  In either instance it would be a role of the dice. I might get lucky and get a doctor who can actually cook, but on the other hand I might just get food poisoned. Of course in which case he/she might have the know how to heal me from that! lol

There are some pretty bright people in the world, and those who have successfully worn many different professional hats.  But everyone has their ultimate area and level of expertise, and no one can possibly be an expert on everything.

I do not trust those who feel the need to come off as now it alls, and think everyone would be best served staying in their lane. 

Or at a minimum; being honest and issuing a disclaimer to their statements, " I am not an expert on this subject, but I think..."! 

Oh....and to be fair, I too will share. I'll not give my entire bio here, but those curious or interested can always contact me.  

DNP, RN, PMHNP-BC, ANP    31 years nursing at all level from LPN to Doctor. Licensed in multiple States. Psychiatric/medical provider. 

Edited by New York Hillbilly
had to restart computer...it shut down...lol
  • Like 5

Professor of Medicine in the Nephrology Division at the University of Rochester Medical Center, PhD in Biochemistry, 20+ years of experience in the field of molecular biology, genetics, and genetic engineering, 62 peer-reviewed publications in decent journals (not Nature, Science, or Cell, but my h-index is ~39, which suggests that my work has had a decent impact on the fields I work in), bunch of other reviews, editorials and whatnot, review grants extensively for NIH, NSF, foundations...postdoc'd 3 years for Larry Tabak, who's now Director of NIH (how's that for name-dropping lol?).
I'm never going to offer a "clinical" opinion, since in the interest of full transparency I am not an MD. But I interact on a daily basis with some of the top docs at URMC, and I can often offer an informed opinion - which like all opinions, can be mistaken. I take ownership of my mistakes and believe strongly that candid dialog, an open mind, and anti-demagoguery is the only way to get out of this mess.

d3b977a675a247595402f02545103c18.jpg
I appreciate your time in here offering some perspective and clarity

• Like 2

1 hour ago, knehrke said:

Impressive, but how are your Copy and Paste skills? :)

Seriously, I always enjoy and appreciate your input. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So as you seem to be one of the only people on here educated enough on the subject to have a real opinion on the matter can I ask you this.

Would you say your opinion is it’s kind of crazy not to be vaccinated as the reward far outweighs the risks.

That being said because you believe in personal freedom you don’t support the mandate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Being scared was my point. Imagine being vaxxed and boostered and still scared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You equate taking precautions as being scared?

Fear is very scary to you, huh? An unspeakable assault to a fragile masculinity, something you could never allow yourself feel? Lol, only sheep fear. Lions tough. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bhunterED said:

If it was an actual vaccine no there wouldn't be "breakthrough" infections. Seeing how the shots and booster is nothing more than a preventable treatment at best I suppose "breakthrough" infections are possible.

Thanks for your reply but I’m simply unwilling to spend any time trying to decipher what you’re trying to say. It’s a strange mashup of random incorrect statements or wishes. If you want to rewrite it, I’m open to responding to the point you want to make. But actually make the point. 

1 minute ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Thanks for your reply but I’m simply unwilling to spend any time trying to decipher what you’re trying to say. It’s a strange mashup of random incorrect statements or wishes. If you want to rewrite it, I’m open to responding to the point you want to make. But actually make the point. 

If you can't comprehend what was written I'm unwilling to waste my time explaining it to you.

• Like 1

Quick answer - and I want to acknowledge that education doesn't necessarily make somebody smart - I personally opted to be vaccinated, and had no qualms when my daughter chose likewise. I personally feel that the benefits outweighed the risks, particular at the beginning of this pandemic. As the disease evolves, like many viruses, toward an endemic, less virulent strain, my opinion may change, but for now, I do feel that the benefits still outweigh the risks, particular with a year of vaccines under our belts. And yes, I absolutely think that mandates, at this point in time, are overkill. I could envision a situation where I would support mandates, but we are far from that - and I think that how you weigh civil liberties against a public health crisis is a deeply personal choice.

Conversation helps. Trying to understand other folks' opinions helps. Not having to win an argument or demonize your opponent helps. 

Okay, having finished putting the handle on a new flippin' stick that I'm building, I'm off to go ice fishing, before the storm craps all over us. 

• Like 6