Where Do We All Come Out On This?

The_Real_TCIII

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I could see NYS pulling the plug on them......especially cell cams. (I didn't read the link yet)

OK I read it.  Too bad...I love the darn things!  I couldn't imagine guys with huge money wrapped up in them and not being able to utilize them. 

Like I said, I could see the NYS getting the Fun Police involved and pulling the plug here.  It'd be a bummer.

I find my game cams more entertaining than TV, but I am perfectly ok with not using them during hunting season.  I have certainly used them to my successful advantage, but like to think I have enough woodsman/hunter skills not to need mug shots of my victims.

• Like 2

If their excuse is that it should be all about the hunt, why stop with trail cameras ?

Wouldn't loin cloths, bare feet and hand hewn flint tipped spears make it a true hunting experience ?

Regardless of what type of camera or surveillance system you have , you still need to go out into the woods to hunt that animal and it's not guaranteed that that animal will be there either.

I don't like showing up to public land and seeing a lot of trucks and SUV's in the parking areas, does that mean NY should ban the use of vehicles to appease me ?

This law is pointless and another example of the "woke" culture that's ruining every aspect of society.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

If their excuse is that it should be all about the hunt, why stop with trail cameras ?

Wouldn't loin cloths, bare feet and hand hewn flint tipped spears make it a true hunting experience ?

Regardless of what type of camera or surveillance system you have , you still need to go out into the woods to hunt that animal and it's not guaranteed that that animal will be there either.

I don't like showing up to public land and seeing a lot of trucks and SUV's in the parking areas, does that mean NY should ban the use of vehicles to appease me ?

This law is pointless and another example of the "woke" culture that's ruining every aspect of society.

Theres no line for you?

• Like 1

I absolutely agree with the ban in arid states in the west, like Utah . As someone who hunts out there yearly it pretty out of control. Honestly it an embarrassment hunter stoop to.

I don’t see a parallel to it here. The topography and dispersement of game is totally different.

I do struggle with the ethics of cell cameras myself and the is coming for self introspection of my own use of them.

• Like 3

I absolutely agree with the ban in arid states in the west, like Utah . As someone who hunts out there yearly it pretty out of control. Honestly it an embarrassment hunter stoop to.

I don’t see a parallel to it here. The topography and dispersement of game is totally different.

I do struggle with the ethics of cell cameras myself and the is coming for self introspection of my own use of them.

I feel the same way about cell cams. I use them, theyre really cool, but if they went away that would be fine too. At least during open seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

The whole conversation is odd to me really. I can see both sides to a point. On one hand a guy can plant food plots, put up a redneck blind, sit in there with the heater on watching 300 acres of corn and shoot a deer with a $3,000 rifle and drive over on his UTV and drag it out. Yet a camera is an unfair advantage?? Give me a break. If I were to come up with a rifle system that were computer driven somehow to never miss a shot, hunters would buy it up faster than I can get them. Same with crossbows, look how that market is taking off in NY. Are fish finders cheating also? How many of you would be ok with banning them while fishing?
I see no issues with trailcams. I have 5 cell cams, yet I did not tag a buck this year. Most hunters could run 20 cameras and still not be able to piece together anything meaningful. The cameras are as much for entertainment than anything.
We have debates on here constantly about "if you don't want to use a crossbow, then don't", "if you don't like the early season then don't hunt it" but now it's suddenly ok for someone to tell someone else if they should be allowed to use cameras? Is this sentiment a worry that the neighbor might find out about a big buck hanging around? In my opinion, we have enough BS in NY, trail cameras don't even register for the list.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, chrisw said:

The whole conversation is odd to me really. I can see both sides to a point. On one hand a guy can plant food plots, put up a redneck blind, sit in there with the heater on watching 300 acres of corn and shoot a deer with a $3,000 rifle and drive over on his UTV and drag it out. Yet a camera is an unfair advantage?? Give me a break. If I were to come up with a rifle system that were computer driven somehow to never miss a shot, hunters would buy it up faster than I can get them. Same with crossbows, look how that market is taking off in NY. Are fish finders cheating also? How many of you would be ok with banning them while fishing?
I see no issues with trailcams. I have 5 cell cams, yet I did not tag a buck this year. Most hunters could run 20 cameras and still not be able to piece together anything meaningful. The cameras are as much for entertainment than anything.
We have debates on here constantly about "if you don't want to use a crossbow, then don't", "if you don't like the early season then don't hunt it" but now it's suddenly ok for someone to tell someone else if they should be allowed to use cameras? Is this sentiment a worry that the neighbor might find out about a big buck hanging around? In my opinion, we have enough BS in NY, trail cameras don't even register for the list.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. You saved me the time thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Although I agree I kinda figured there would be issues sooner or later with the send pics to your phone camera.  Those definitely could have a grey area as far as “Fair” but definitely not like a drone or such. 

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

I think I could get by ok, if they banned fish-finders, but only because I know my local waters pretty good.  It would make it tougher, and definitely add some time, to what it currently takes me to secure enough for some meals.   

As far as the cell cams go, I have not used them per se, but I did benefit from the direct live observation of others, on the single buck that I killed this year.  Based on that, I can definitely understand how some could consider them an “unfair advantage”.

I had received a phone call, after my previous hunt (in a different location), informing me that the buck had appeared  , 10 yards from another of my stands, at 4:20 pm.  Two days later, I was in that stand at 2:20 pm, and killed that buck at 4:18 pm.

Without that phone call, I likely would have hunted another location, resulting in (4) unfilled tags in my soup, rather than the (3) I ended it with.  

The current atmosphere in NY seems to be, to do all they can, to keep up the harvest numbers.    Pressure to ban cell cameras, could only come from selfish trophy hunters, who are in a very small minority here.  I don’t think there is any reason to fear a ban.  

Edited by wolc123

58 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Pressure to ban cell cameras, could only come from selfish trophy hunters, who are in a very small minority here.  I don’t think there is any reason to fear a ban.  

Lol - you might want to reconsider this statement.  Most putting the time and money towards cell cams are looking for a wall hanger.   I don’t think “they”will be supporting the ban.   

• Like 1

I think the issue is trying to find a balance between using the cams for pre-hunt observation and scouting versus active hunting.  A cam alerting you where to hunt tomorrow should be okay (that is scouting) , a cam telling you where to hunt today/now is hunting for you.  In Alaska you cannot fly and hunt on the same day.  This is so the plane cannot be used as part of the hunt which would be a gross advantage.  

• Like 1

I dont think its good thing for letting young deer live to be older . How many people pass young deer because they have proof that older deer are using an area currently? I think without definitive proof of older deer people may shoot younger deer to fill tags.

• Like 2