Where Do We All Come Out On This?

The_Real_TCIII

One way to look at it is say, you and a bunch of guys are getting ready to do drives and all of a sudden a big buck passes a camera in a certain spot that all involved know and then set up a push and kill said beast.  Fair chase?
To me? Yes. Would it make a damn difference if the deer ran across the Rd into the same said piece in front of the drivers? Or what if someone watched him bed down in there then they organized a drive? So in order to be fair chase you can't have any indication of where a deer may be in relation to where you are hunting?? Do you hunt from a treestand? Weren't you just asking for better light gathering scopes not long ago? I presume that's all fair chase to you though....

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, chrisw said:

To me? Yes. Would it make a damn difference if the deer ran across the Rd into the same said piece in front of the drivers? Or what if someone watched him bed down in there then they organized a drive? So in order to be fair chase you can't have any indication of where a deer may be in relation to where you are hunting?? Do you hunt from a treestand? Weren't you just asking for better light gathering scopes not long ago? I presume that's all fair chase to you though....

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Easy, I put a scenario out for your consideration.   I sure as heck don’t want to loose trail cams.   

Edited by Lawdwaz
To not be a complete douche bag

I think in the next five years we will have cams transmitting live in realtime. We will be able to monitor our woods live on our phones. Is there no point where it isnt fair chase any more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The PA Elk live cam? Don’t Lee & Tiffany have similar ones?

I didn’t read the story but have heard different reports on this. I also have no experience hunting elk, but I have to believe a series of cell cam pics pinpointing an elk herd in a meadow makes it a whole lot easier to sneak in in the am and take a shot from 300 yards away. I don’t see it as the same situation as a pic of a 10 point in front of my stand at 3pm, when I’m in that stand the next morning that buck is most likely long gone. If I am able to sneak in undetected maybe I have a chance, but unless I have pics of him daily in a field that I don’t even have to enter to kill him I don’t see it being the same thing. I’m not sure that makes any sense, but I think it’s just a different style of hunting and cams can prove to be a great advantage out west with animals that herd together like elk do. Hopefully some day I will have the opportunity to learn more and find out for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I think in the next five years we will have cams transmitting live in realtime. We will be able to monitor our woods live on our phones. Is there no point where it isnt fair chase any more?

They are already out.  Spartan "Go Live" cam.  They are like $400+ .  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Disagree with you chris. A good Turkey Hunter should rely  on hard earned Woodsmanship and Knowledge  gain from consistent reading ,etc.

With Cameras stationed all around and in Public Dirt- a Turkey Hunter does not need hard earned Knowledge.  He just has to keep checking the notifications  on his Cell phone-- and Show up...

Well  they scouted hard enough to find the roost area to begin with.   The cameras could just be cause they like looking at birds.   What advantage is the camera ?  Unless they are looking  up into tree tops to see if the birds are rooted in the particular tree that evening. Most birds I've see roost fly up and tree  hop .  But remain in  same 100 yard area .  So instead of owl hooting or using a locator they know birds are there?   I know birds roost same spot even if they don't gobble.still go in and sit and can kill a bird .

The hard scouting is finding the roost area to begin with. 

• Like 1

The battery tech isn’t there or we already would. Right now 16 lithium AA’s can just barely get me through a year. To transmit video real time would take some serious juice and data over cellular.

One way to look at it is say, you and a bunch of guys are getting ready to do drives and all of a sudden a big buck passes a camera in a certain spot that all involved know and then set up a push and kill said beast.  Fair chase?

I get it. I was on the fence when I took the leap. The entry and maintenance isn’t cheap, but mostly the ethical questions troubled me.

It wasn’t till I went through a season that I realized they really didn’t alter my in the stand situation.

There was once I pinged a doe at a stand to my east. This did cause me to be extra attentive to the runs in that direction. Also during mz with about 45 min of light I had a cam ping a group of does. I did think, hey why not get down and still hunt to them, but I didn’t. I just didn’t have the time or belief I’d be able to get close enough for a safe shot.

• Like 1

The battery tech isn’t there or we already would. Right now 16 lithium AA’s can just barely get me through a year. To transmit video real time would take some serious juice and data over cellular.

My lithiums still say full after thousands of photos and videos, Im sure they could handle a couple weeks of transmitting anyway. they could be set to run limited hours too. Its coming

So you get to your hunting spot in some mode of transportation (Truck, Car, UTV, ATV )

Load a rifle, topped with an advanced optic, with ammo tailored to killing deer

or some state of the art compound, crossbow bow, carbon arrow tipped with a mechanical broadhead tailored for killing deer.

Spray your custom fauna matching camouflage clothing and boots with scent killing spray 

Climb into your hunting blind, climber, hanging, ladder stand, sling, that's overlooking a food plot, with a crop that's tailored for antler growth and nutritional value.

Scan with a non reflective 3x coated lensed non fogging binocular and/or use a laser rangefinder that'll range within +/- one millimeter degree of precision

Yet a trail camera is the straw that broke the camels back ?

Does a trail camera give you an edge, of course, just like all of the other equipment your using, otherwise you wouldn't be using them.

Yet even with all of that advanced equipment, there's no guarantee that you'll be successful and you STILL need to be out in the woods to harvest the game that's being pursued, no matter how many cameras you have out.

If the cameras targeted and killed the animal, that would be a different story.

We have a couple of cameras on the land we hunt.

We hunt pretty hard and still see maybe one quarter of the bucks that we see on the cameras.

Trail cams or not, I'll be out there opening day.

• Like 5

I think we have ourselves to blame. Lack of discretion and indiscriminate use of every type of technological advancements that we could get our hands on makes us look like greedy saps. Trail cams, 1000 yard long range rifles, 100 yard archery shots, crossbows that resembles rifles more then archery equipment, 500 yard smokeless muzzleloaders, carbon suits, ozone machines… you flipping name it and hunters will use it. Game farms, exclusive ranches that cost more to hunt in a week that some people make in a year. And all while we clamor for more opportunity’s and longer seasons. Add to that there are a lot of hunters that by their actions show that quite frankly they can give two shits about the animals they hunt, never mind conservation and environment…

I am not particularly sympathetic

• Like 4

My lithiums still say full after thousands of photos and videos, Im sure they could handle a couple weeks of transmitting anyway. they could be set to run limited hours too. Its coming

I had one of my brownings die just at the end of the year and I have 2 that say full charge and a few in the middle. I know I don’t trust the cam readings so not sure. Could be some dud batteries mixed in too.

I guess my point is if you look at any transmitting camera, battery powered ones have their limits. Idk maybe talking out of my ass.

It wouldn't affect me at all.
I take pride in being old school. A rifle, a knife, a hunk of rope and a few spare shells, along with my woodsman/hunting skills is all I need. I've been successful enough and don't miss the high tech gadgets I've never had.

You bring spare shells along with your rifle?

Haha just messing with ya man

I think we have ourselves to blame. Lack of discretion and indiscriminate use of every type of technological advancements that we could get our hands on makes us look like greedy saps. Trail cams, 1000 yard long range rifles, 100 yard archery shots, crossbows that resembles rifles more then archery equipment, 500 yard smokeless muzzleloaders, carbon suits, ozone machines… you flipping name it and hunters will use it. Game farms, exclusive ranches that cost more to hunt in a week that some people make in a year. And all while we clamor for more opportunity’s and longer seasons. Add to that there are a lot of hunters that by their actions show that quite frankly they can give two shits about the animals they hunt, never mind conservation and environment…

I am not particularly sympathetic

I get your point but you mixed stuff like carbon clothes in with game farms and that’s not fair.

Using tech or gadgets (within reason) on your back 40 to hunt free chase is very different than hunting a game farm.

I get your point but you mixed stuff like carbon clothes in with game farms and that’s not fair.

Using tech or gadgets (within reason) on your back 40 to hunt free chase is very different than hunting a game farm.

It’s all tied in together. It’s all examples that show the willingness of hunters to subjugate fair chase at any cost to increase success.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:24 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

The Go Live does that already, at least near real-time. A few seconds to establish the live feed. Been in use for a few years now.

Hasn't changed the world.

Typical NYers. Worried about the legitimacy of $100 camera vs. the AI and Bot technology down on Wall St. that allows multi-billion dollar corporations to make stock trades in nano-seconds effectively steering the market before retail investors have access to the information those computers already received and processed. Hey, look over there, shiny penny.

About the only thing that would make sense in this thread is if Wolc posted a photo of his buck again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, phade said:

Typical NYers. Worried about the legitimacy of $100 camera vs. the AI and Bot technology down on Wall St. that allows multi-billion dollar corporations to make stock trades in nano-seconds effectively steering the market before retail investors have access to the information those computers already received and processed. Hey, look over there, shiny penny.

About the only thing that would make sense in this thread is if Wolc posted a photo of his buck again.

I think us NY'ers have plenty of reason to fear Albany's idiotic decisions. I do know the point you're trying to make though.