Where Do We All Come Out On This?

The_Real_TCIII

55 minutes ago, phade said:

Typical NYers. Worried about the legitimacy of $100 camera vs. the AI and Bot technology down on Wall St. that allows multi-billion dollar corporations to make stock trades in nano-seconds effectively steering the market before retail investors have access to the information those computers already received and processed. Hey, look over there, shiny penny.

About the only thing that would make sense in this thread is if Wolc posted a photo of his buck again.

How many things are we allowed to be concerned about at once?

25 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

How many things are we allowed to be concerned about at once?

The point is that we (including me) trip over much less trivial things vs the things that can make substantial differences.

The DEC likely needs legislator involvement to outlaw cell cams - and that demonstrates my point. Worrying about fair chase via cell cam in the NEUS, when the DEC just got an award, and the commissioners response is about managing an over-abundance of deer? It, just seems misplaced worry given gravity of the situation. I'd trade cell cams in season in a heart beat for a free'd up DEC to manage our sport and the wildlife without dolts interfering.

I mean, what kind of fair chase do you really have right now in NYS? You trust legislators to decide your season dates, the ability to adjust tag allocations as wildlife and scenarios dictate? 

Cornell has sharpshooters on 37 acres with baitstations - the property of which are bordered by private hunting groups. You feel like those private hunting landowners get fair chase now? 

But, we think that a $100 cam is too much on our moral compass.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, phade said:

The point is that we (including me) trip over much less trivial things vs the things that can make substantial differences.

The DEC likely needs legislator involvement to outlaw cell cams - and that demonstrates my point. Worrying about fair chase via cell cam in the NEUS, when the DEC just got an award, and the commissioners response is about managing an over-abundance of deer? It, just seems misplaced worry given gravity of the situation. I'd trade cell cams in season in a heart beat for a free'd up DEC to manage our sport and the wildlife without dolts interfering.

I hear you but there are a lot of decisions they could make if eradicating deer was their main goal. Wolc would get his "one season, any weapon" wish

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hear you but there are a lot of decisions they could make if eradicating deer was their main goal. Wolc would get his "one season, any weapon" wish

A free'd up DEC would manage to the resource, sportsmen, and citizens, not the politicians. The commissioner likely has his job on the line based on what he is told to do as policy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

One trophy buck, 4 points to a side. everybody knows the rules.

-Dave Portnoy

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, phade said:

I mean, what kind of fair chase do you really have right now in NYS? You trust legislators to decide your season dates, the ability to adjust tag allocations as wildlife and scenarios dictate? 

Cornell has sharpshooters on 37 acres with baitstations - the property of which are bordered by private hunting groups. You feel like those private hunting landowners get fair chase now? 

But, we think that a $100 cam is too much on our moral compass.

I think this is an internet forum and we're just shooting the shit. Nobody mentioned we need a rally on capital hill. 

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

I think this is an internet forum and we're just shooting the shit. Nobody mentioned we need a rally on capital hill. 

Missing the point - The DEC can't even outlaw cell cams. The question was - where do we all come out on this? We come out nowhere or we have a legislator tell us what is best.

The bet wildlife pictures that I have are of fawns and foxes and coyotes and a whole bunch of critters that I don't hunt. Oh sure I have one-time pictures of some nice bucks that were just passing through. Most of those were during rut when the next day they probably were miles away never again to return. I frankly see game camera pictures as a wildlife photography project and can't really point to any harvest that was a result of a game camera picture. I guess I just really don't know how to use them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phade said:

Typical NYers. Worried about the legitimacy of $100 camera vs. the AI and Bot technology down on Wall St. that allows multi-billion dollar corporations to make stock trades in nano-seconds effectively steering the market before retail investors have access to the information those computers already received and processed. Hey, look over there, shiny penny.

About the only thing that would make sense in this thread is if Wolc posted a photo of his buck again.

How about 2 more ?  This includes  the first photo I took of this one (taken about 10 minutes after sunset on the Friday after Thanksgiving ‘21). I had no idea such a buck was in the area, as it had never showed itself out in the open in the daylight.  

Thanks for the reminder.  I have been meaning to ask a neighbor, who runs lots of trail cameras, if he had any pre-rut photos of it.  If I had managed to kill it then, it would have been my first legit 11 pointer and I would have felt obligated to do a shoulder mount, as that would have exceeded my previous best of 10 points.  

If I could get a picture of it, in all its pre-rut points and glory, then I could hang it from a little frame on the opposite side of the “killing” 16 gauge slug, that I recovered from its rib cage.  I guess maybe trail cameras are good for something and it’s a good thing they are not yet banned.

65132AD1-1714-4643-9A6F-F9640E90EEAB.jpeg

590FBAD3-B1B8-43D3-9BA0-5A64E41AF07F.jpeg

4B02EFD8-670A-4BEE-8DEF-1AC6AF3A1E52.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Belo said:

I think us NY'ers have plenty of reason to fear Albany's idiotic decisions. I do know the point you're trying to make though.

The point he is trying to make is that he wants more big buck pictures.  I have done all I can for now, get with the program.

Edited by wolc123

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You got me mixed up with someone else.  All I really want is one more weekend of early crossbow season, up in the northern zone, before the guns come in.  The local businesses are currently getting screwed up there, with just 3 weekdays.  

My preferred archery deer season in the southern zone would be a October 1-14 “traditional”, where just longbows and recurves would be legal, and 0ctober 15-gun opener “modern”, where compounds and crossbows would be legal.

Such a structure would put the screws to the “cupcakes” (compound only bow-hunters who oppose the crossbow) as they justly deserve, while opening up new opportunities to the “true” archers.

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

You got me mixed up with someone else.  All I really want is one more weekend of early crossbow season, up in the northern zone, before the guns come in.  The local businesses are currently getting screwed up there, with just 3 weekdays.  

My preferred archery deer season in the southern zone would be a October 1-14 “traditional”, where just longbows and recurves would be legal, and 0ctober 15-gun opener “modern”, where compounds and crossbows would be legal.

Such a structure would put the screws to the “cupcakes” (compound only bow-hunters who oppose the crossbow) as they justly deserve, while opening up new opportunities to the “true” archers.

If they went with traditional archery til the 15th it would prob help keep me out of the woods early season when it mostly sucks and is too warm and I am burning out my spots.  But I don't see it ever happening cause it would lessen the deer take. But I would be ok with it if it did. Although I mostly like the seasons just the way they are. 

21 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

If they went with traditional archery til the 15th it would prob help keep me out of the woods early season when it mostly sucks and is too warm and I am burning out my spots.  But I don't see it ever happening cause it would lessen the deer take. But I would be ok with it if it did. Although I mostly like the seasons just the way they are. 

I mostly like them the way they are also.  I am very thankful that the crossbow is legal now, for the best two weeks of southern zone archery.  A situation beyond my control took most of that away from me last year.  I expect things will return to normal this year.  

One way, that I found by accident to help not burn out spots, is to not use trail cameras.   I would rather that be a voluntary choice rather than state mandated though. 

Edited by wolc123

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I mostly like them the way they are also.  I am very thankful that the crossbow is legal now, for the best two weeks of southern zone archery.  A situation beyond my control took most of that away from me last year.  I expect things will return to normal this year.  

One way, that I found by accident to help not burn out spots, is to not use trail cameras.   I would rather that be a voluntary choice rather than state mandated though. 

I stopped taking any early time off.  Next season first vac day I am using is Oct 21.  But I have a ton of time scheduled for last week of Oct and first 3 weeks of Nov.  Every year my trail cams pop that time of year and then are dead after first week of gun is over. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

Just need a pic of that food safety nightmare grinder and the thread will be complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was only a food safety nightmare when I tried using that little orange drag handle (which appears in the first photo of the earlier post) as a grinder stuffer.  The old hammer handle works way better. 

I kept the little orange chip that I pulled from my last bowl of chile, on my desk at work for a while to remind me not to use it for that purpose again.  I am so glad that it wasn’t my wife or one of the kids that found it in their meat.  

It definitely makes a better drag handle, on a 200 plus pounder (guts in) like that buck in the photo, than the broken half-rotted sticks, that I usually use.  
F1A9046F-4CC4-4A4A-9515-BE284A630DB1.thumb.jpeg.82d53b48e7c7aecc6636c21e14b3f44e.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I stopped taking any early time off.  Next season first vac day I am using is Oct 21.  But I have a ton of time scheduled for last week of Oct and first 3 weeks of Nov.  Every year my trail cams pop that time of year and then are dead after first week of gun is over. 

I always try to take the whole northern zone early ML week off (which also gives me opening weekend of gun up there also) and the Friday closest to Veterans, for crossbow at home in the southern zone.  

That early ML week up there is my favorite by far.  There is always lots of pretty fall foliage left, the fishing is good then, and so is the deer hunting.   

Those are the only 6 vacation days that I usually use for deer hunting.  I added December 30 this year for Holiday ML.  Other than those, I usually just hunt the weekends and 5 other paid weekday holidays.  

• Like 1