Browning X Bolt Medallion

Thought Id reach out here, I recently acquired this 22-250  Browning X Bolt Medallion with Boss Brake. I am not used to higher end firearms, I typically buy cheap ones so I don't worry about dings or scratches and such.. I did a little research on the Boss Brake System and it seems pretty neat, especially for being nearly 30 years old now. I know There are some very knowledgeable folks here.. So my question is, Does this Brake system really do as they say, and make all ammo shoot great from this gun? I see you dial the brake to the number associated with the catalog, with that bullet weight and caliber.  Then add a click/hash mark, shoot a group and keep adjusting one mark per group in the same direction until group starts breaking up, then bring it back once? The system sounds legit, but I dont know enough about barrel harmonics, to know if all ammo appropriate per twist rate, can be tuned that well? Kind of a interesting system.. Just looking to know more about it.. Also, with the muzzle brake on it it would make it even louder when fired in hunting scenarios.. Im not a fan of that.   

This rifle has a Leupold 3-9x50 I believe .. I'm curious as to what's the gun/scope combo is worth. A local gun shop offered me 1150$ for it as it sits. 

Not sure if I'm going to hold on to it or not..  

Thanks in Advance.. 

part0.jpg

• Like 2

To add to that, the only thing I can say for sure is that the muzzle brake gun is much louder.  The X-bolts we have, and the other 2 that I have owned and sold, all shot better than one-inch groups with off-the-shelf ammo when we did our part. No practical experience with the A bolt, but they still make them in a cheaper version (AB3). They old ones are high quality, accurate and in demand, sounds like a good buy on your part. 

Edited by Don_C
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Don_C said:

To add to that, the only thing I can say for sure is that the muzzle brake gun is much louder.  The X-bolts we have, and the other 2 that I have owned and sold, all shot better than one-inch groups with off-the-shelf ammo when we did our part. No practical experience with the A bolt, but they still make them in a cheaper version (AB3). They old ones are high quality, accurate and in demand, sounds like a good buy on your part. 

Thank you sir, I have won a few AB3 Browning the last few years and they shoot well. They are also custom Engraved Whitetails Unlimited New York Chapter. To be completely honest I didnt even read the barrel lol. I still got the better end of the deal so I didn't really mind.  I really do not enjoy brakes on guns. It may get removed  and threads capped. Thanks for the clear up sir. I do believe you're right it is an Abolt. Ill verify for certain later, but i do not second guess you. 

• Like 1

The boss system has been around for over twenty years. i remember when they came out it set the industry on its ears, but havent seen or heard much about it in a long time. I dont think they can make a crappy round shoot great. Still need to find what round performs best, and then the boss system helps stabilize it more as I recall. 

• Like 1

Thank you sir, I have won a few AB3 Browning the last few years and they shoot well. They are also custom Engraved Whitetails Unlimited New York Chapter. To be completely honest I didnt even read the barrel lol. I still got the better end of the deal so I didn't really mind.  I really do not enjoy brakes on guns. It may get removed  and threads capped. Thanks for the clear up sir. I do believe you're right it is an Abolt. Ill verify for certain later, but i do not second guess you. 

Oh no, Second guess all you like! I am no expert on anything, just my experience is all. I think that’s an original A Bolt though. Do a serial number search and find out for sure. Not that it matters any, I’m sure it will shoot better than most of are capable of.

And when I said “cheaper” I meant less expensive only, there is nothing cheap about any of the Browning firearms.

https://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 6:10 PM, Don_C said:

Oh no, Second guess all you like! I am no expert on anything, just my experience is all. I think that’s an original A Bolt though. Do a serial number search and find out for sure. Not that it matters any, I’m sure it will shoot better than most of are capable of.

And when I said “cheaper” I meant less expensive only, there is nothing cheap about any of the Browning firearms.

https://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm.html

Thanks man. Seems this gun seems to be somewhat on the rare side? I forgot to do a number check this weekend. Ill check when i get home lol 

7 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

That’s definitely an A Bolt II Medallion. The bolt is a dead giveaway. Nice rifle. I’m not a fan of muzzle brakes my self, but they are/were quite popular with a lot of shooters.

Thanks, Im not a fan of them either for my application 

9 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

That looks like a satin finish to me. Every factory Medallion I’ve owned or seen has had the infamous high gloss Browning finish. Looks like a great piece of walnut on that one too.

Thank you. Idk exactly what the wood is, but its definitely glossy. ITs in darn good shape. Nicest gun i Own besides the Henry 24k gold 

"higher end firearms" is relative.  There are so many semi-custom and custom rifles available now an argument could be made that this is not a "higher end firearm" but a higher quality factory mass produced firearm.

The BOSS break is significantly louder than a rifle without it.  Think hearing protection.   In fact, Browning later had a version without the brake/holes, if I recall correctly.  The concept is you are tuning the barrel harmonics to the load rather than tuning the load to the barrel, like a handloader.  How tight the groups will be is a factor of how precise is the ammo manufactured cartridge to cartridge; and your ability.  There also can be factory ammo that does not shoot well in a particular rifle. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

"higher end firearms" is relative.  There are so many semi-custom and custom rifles available now an argument could be made that this is not a "higher end firearm" but a higher quality factory mass produced firearm.

The BOSS break is significantly louder than a rifle without it.  Think hearing protection.   In fact, Browning later had a version without the brake/holes, if I recall correctly.  The concept is you are tuning the barrel harmonics to the load rather than tuning the load to the barrel, like a handloader.  How tight the groups will be is a factor of how precise is the ammo manufactured cartridge to cartridge; and your ability.  There also can be factory ammo that does not shoot well in a particular rifle. 

For a man who owns Mossberg shotguns,  Savage Axis and Ruger American Rifles.. This is certainly higher end "To Me" lol. Maybe not everyone else. Sorry for the wrong wording.. 

And yes, Browning offered a non ported version of the Boss Brake.  might swap the ends out if i can find one. These guns are loud enough without porting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDose said:

I just knew someone would have to say this.  No one is saying Browning factory rifles are the same as $5000 custom rifles, that's like saying a Yukon Denali is not a high end SUV because Lamborghini makes the Urus. Many models manufactured by Browning, Sako, Kimber, Weatherby and many others are "high end" to most hunters, including myself. Its not necessarily the cost either, when you handle them, you cycle the bolt and you feel the quality difference, the fit and finish shows craftsmanship, the blueing and wood are beautiful to look at and touch, the stainless is polished evenly..whatever it is. Anyone with an appreciation for quality firearms knows the Browning A-bolt is a fine rifle in anyones mind and a great addition to any collection.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Anyone with an appreciation for quality firearms knows the Browning A-bolt is a fine rifle in anyones mind and a great addition to any collection.

:imsohappy::imsohappy: I own a A-bolt and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Well made and functions flawlessly. I really don't care how it was made or if it was "mass produced" When I can shoot paper @ 100 yards and have holes touch each other I don't care if someone thinks it is an inferior rifle.

My suggestion to Let Them Grow was going to be to shoot it before making a decision. He might be pleasantly surprised, and the muzzle brake can always be removed.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Don_C said:

I just knew someone would have to say this.  No one is saying Browning factory rifles are the same as $5000 custom rifles, that's like saying a Yukon Denali is not a high end SUV because Lamborghini makes the Urus. Many models manufactured by Browning, Sako, Kimber, Weatherby and many others are "high end" to most hunters, including myself. Its not necessarily the cost either, when you handle them, you cycle the bolt and you feel the quality difference, the fit and finish shows craftsmanship, the blueing and wood are beautiful to look at and touch, the stainless is polished evenly..whatever it is. Anyone with an appreciation for quality firearms knows the Browning A-bolt is a fine rifle in anyones mind and a great addition to any collection.

Let me try to explain where I am coming from.  I did state "...a higher quality factory mass produced firearm" versus "higher end".  This Browning and firearms manufactured in the 50s, 60, and 70s, are generally all of much higher quality than that produced today and they were not higher end firearms; they were the standard (mass produced) run of the mill.    Around the 1980s to today, firearms manufacturers began making budget low quality firearms and pushed this is as the standard run of the mill.  Perfect example is the Remington 870 (Polished/Blued/Walnut) versus the Remington 870 Express (Rough/Parkerized/Hardwood or Plastic).  

On 1/10/2022 at 9:18 PM, onlybrowning said:

That’s definitely an A Bolt II Medallion. The bolt is a dead giveaway. Nice rifle. I’m not a fan of muzzle brakes my self, but they are/were quite popular with a lot of shooters.

Finally got around to checking the barrel, IT is stamped ABolt Medallion 

On 1/12/2022 at 8:13 AM, LET EM GROW said:

For a man who owns Mossberg shotguns,  Savage Axis and Ruger American Rifles.. This is certainly higher end "To Me" lol. Maybe not everyone else. Sorry for the wrong wording.. 

And yes, Browning offered a non ported version of the Boss Brake.  might swap the ends out if i can find one. These guns are loud enough without porting. 

My axis with trigger upgrade is pretty good shooter. Definitely no complaints. Had some longer shots with it last couple seasons. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

My axis with trigger upgrade is pretty good shooter. Definitely no complaints. Had some longer shots with it last couple seasons. 

Ive either upgraded triggers in mine or swapped out the spring and did sear work. Much better trigger pulls for sure. I have zero complaints as well. I just want a rifle that shoots and cycles. that's all i ask for lol the rest of my funds go into the property or my family wants/needs. Handloading ammo can make most any gun shoot with fine accuracy.. Just started that as well. 

• Thanks 1