amend pistol permit

I went do to the county office to switch my Suffolk co. pistol permit to a Fulton co. it was easy enough to do.The lady that did the paper work said I could amend the sporting license to a carry concealed.On the first question it asks "why I feel I'm ready to be granted a CC permit" I not sure what to put there? "personal protection" is the only thing that come to mind.I want to get this right the first time around.What do you guys/gals normally put in the letter to the judge?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated 

Is the question "why I feel I'm ready..." or "why I feel I need..."?  Those are two different questions.  Metro-NY has always wanted justification for need.  For ready,  I have been hunting and handling firearms since x years old, I have had a Suffolk pistol permit for x years, I am a mature adult x years old with no criminal record, etc.

4 minutes ago, CharlieNY said:

Here is a link that might help you out. Some of the reasons listed may apply to you.      valoroutdoors.com.   https://www.copperriverbags.com/blog/7-good-reasons-to-carry-a-concealed-gun/

Interesting the title is 7 good reasons but they only list 6 and the 6th, To Keep Your Sense Sharp, is arguably not a good reason.  Drink coffee or a Red Bull. LOL.

41 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I went do to the county office to switch my Suffolk co. pistol permit to a Fulton co. it was easy enough to do.The lady that did the paper work said I could amend the sporting license to a carry concealed.On the first question it asks "why I feel I'm ready to be granted a CC permit" I not sure what to put there? "personal protection" is the only thing that come to mind.I want to get this right the first time around.What do you guys/gals normally put in the letter to the judge?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated 

Protect myself and family.........period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Agreed. And to piggy back on this as well.

“I have had my pistol permit for XX years and have had no violations in that time”

That statement is something I know a few people did when they applied from target/hunting to concealed carry. Each one of them was granted concealed carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

That doesn't always fly as a reason.....it may even say not to use that reason on the Erie County form that you use to amend your permit. You need to state things like your a responsible gun owner.... belong to a club and participate in safety classes.

Let me look in my paperwork later...I did this a few years ago and used alot of different letters that guys posted to the web as reference.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I got full carry in Albany co a few years ago after trying for 3 times and was denied the first 2 times . All while having my permit 25 years .  I wrote letters but for life of me can't find them. 

I had three interviews with judges over that time the first two judges denied me and told me they didn't think it was needed . On my third time trying I went the safety route . I explained I travel to camp two hours away ,when traveling my gun is locked in glove box and ammo in trunk. At the time I was granted hunting and target only  . I stop for food along the way, should someone break in my car they could steal my hand gun .I explained the safest place for that gun is on me . I also explained my camp is in a remote area and the safety of my family could depend on it should some break into camp while we are there ,cell phone coverage is limited. We use camp all year not just during hunting season.  I then explained the interest in becoming a firearm instructor and self defense instructor.

You nailed it ,you have to hit it out of the park on that first question . Anyone who says a judge isn't intimidating is lying to your face . The only other thing ill add is wear your best suit and tie when seeing them . When I went the guy ahead of me looked like he just got done baling hay.  His jeans  were ripped and t shirt had sweat stains.  First impressions are big ,have to dress to impress . After I was granted full carry in Albany co ,the judge said buy a lotto ticket as they only grant 5 or so a year .

Lastly be patient, my ammendment for conceal took three months .

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Crazy . My county is no “ restrictions “ which are administrative  only anyway .

Our youngest moved from here to Erie county which was restricted at the time , if you read Erie’s website it was all about transferring your packet to them then seeing if they’d grant you the same permit .

we went to our county office building to do that , and they said , “ why? “

Then they said all the law required was , the new address be sent to the state police and put on her permit . They did that for her for $3 , the end period. 

It’s a state license don’t let those commie counties F with you .

Edited by Nomad

Crazy . My county is no “ restrictions “ which are administrative  only anyway .
Our youngest moved from here to Erie county which was restricted at the time , if you read Erie’s website it was all about transferring your packet to them then seeing if they’d grant you the same permit .

we went to our county office building to do that , and they said , “ why? “
Then they said all the law required was , the new address be sent to the state police and put on her permit . They did that for her for $3 , the end period. 
It’s a state license don’t let those commie counties F with you .
If it was a plastic permit didn't they have to issue a new one?
Paper ones just use good ole fashion white out.

4 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I forgot there’s plastic permits… I’m still sporting a 16 year old, green, folded piece of paper. 

I forgot there’s plastic permits… I’m still sporting a 16 year old, green, folded piece of paper. 
Mine is yellow.....they asked if I wanted a new plastic one. I said sure....they then said that will be 5.00....I then said "pass" I'll keep my paper one. It's over 15 years old as well.

Just now, mlammerhirt said:

Mine is yellow.....they asked if I wanted a new plastic one. I said sure....they then said that will be 5.00....I then said "pass" I'll keep my paper one. It's over 15 years old as well.

Yea I think when they came out I would’ve had to make an extra trip to downtown Rochester and pay for it.  I’ll stick with doing the bare minimum to maintain something I don’t really believe in. 

“So that I can be sure I am not in violation of any laws while transporting my firearm” is what we were told to answer back when we did our applications. We all got unrestricted first time around.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

Paper . Just crossed it out and wrote in new address . 

i have paper , since early’80s, it was replaced once, and the current one went through the washer , and the microwave to dry it, which burnt up the photo . 

Mine, Mrs nomad and our youngest all have paper, the oldest was the last to get one , and it’s plastic . Here’s her first pistol on it .

2FD534F5-1F5D-44AA-82AB-E6581605203F.jpeg

• Confused 1

I also was asked a few trick questions per say 

Could ny wife shoot my pistol if she had a permit ?

Where are my guns stored in my house ?

Should I have my handgun on me while on school property? Also if there was a school shooting and I had my hand gun on me what would I do ? 

If someone broke in my house what should be first thing I do ?

23 hours ago, sbuff said:

I got full carry in Albany co a few years ago after trying for 3 times and was denied the first 2 times . All while having my permit 25 years .  I wrote letters but for life of me can't find them. 

I had three interviews with judges over that time the first two judges denied me and told me they didn't think it was needed . On my third time trying I went the safety route . I explained I travel to camp two hours away ,when traveling my gun is locked in glove box and ammo in trunk. At the time I was granted hunting and target only  . I stop for food along the way, should someone break in my car they could steal my hand gun .I explained the safest place for that gun is on me . I also explained my camp is in a remote area and the safety of my family could depend on it should some break into camp while we are there ,cell phone coverage is limited. We use camp all year not just during hunting season.  I then explained the interest in becoming a firearm instructor and self defense instructor.

You nailed it ,you have to hit it out of the park on that first question . Anyone who says a judge isn't intimidating is lying to your face . The only other thing ill add is wear your best suit and tie when seeing them . When I went the guy ahead of me looked like he just got done baling hay.  His jeans  were ripped and t shirt had sweat stains.  First impressions are big ,have to dress to impress . After I was granted full carry in Albany co ,the judge said buy a lotto ticket as they only grant 5 or so a year .

You had a meeting with a judge??  Never heard of that. I wrote a letter to the judge for my upgrade. Dropped it at sheriffs office. They brought it to judge and he approved. Never even got a phone call from anyone, let alone having to go in and meet them. My daughter and wife both applied recently. My daughter got no restrictions right away. Wife still hasn’t heard. I keep telling her she is getting denied. Lol

19 hours ago, Nomad said:

i have paper , since early’80s, it was replaced once, and the current one went through the washer , and the microwave to dry it, which burnt up the photo . 

Mine, Mrs nomad and our youngest all have paper, the oldest was the last to get one , and it’s plastic . Here’s her first pistol on it .

2FD534F5-1F5D-44AA-82AB-E6581605203F.jpeg

I wouldn’t consider that a pistol.  Lol

1 hour ago, boo711 said:

You had a meeting with a judge??  Never heard of that. I wrote a letter to the judge for my upgrade. Dropped it at sheriffs office. They brought it to judge and he approved. Never even got a phone call from anyone, let alone having to go in and meet them. My daughter and wife both applied recently. My daughter got no restrictions right away. Wife still hasn’t heard. I keep telling her she is getting denied. Lol

Albany County is one of toughest counties in state.  I have met a different judge the three times I applied for my concealed carry ( I believe you get a new judge ever five years ) and when doing an amendment I  have met the judge for every handgun bought. I've been told they frown on owning multiple  guns in same caliber.  Most amendments here have been taking 3 months.  There is an albany co sheriff on outside of the door and judge and stenographer inside his chambers.  Not easy in albany...

Edited by sbuff

I used the travel to and from camp reason too. It worked

2FD534F5-1F5D-44AA-82AB-E6581605203F.thumb.jpeg.5ec17c1a88541bc9df9279fe5c5b6c6b.jpeg

Is she law enforcement? Just asking because with the safe act how can a regular citizen own that?

Rockland county I had to do it in the courtroom