Neonicotinoids and fawn survival

Curmudgeon

Has anyone been paying attention to recent research on fawn recruitment and the possible impact of neonic pesticides? Maybe this should be posted in the food plot section but it seems a larger concern than what seeds hunters are planting. Here are links to 2 articles.

First - SDSU study shows world’s most common pesticide a danger to deer

https://www.sdnewswatch.org/stories/sdsu-study-shows-worlds-most-common-pesticide-a-danger-to-deer/

From the article below: "Almost every reporting state in the Southeast and Northeast has seen a major decline since 2000. Some states have nosedived. For example, in the past 20 years, Georgia dropped from 0.71 to 0.43 fawns per doe. Louisiana declined from 0.74 to 0.44, Maryland fell from 0.74 to 0.37, New Hampshire decreased from 0.7 to 0.36, and New York plummeted to 0.26. In other words, the New York figure of 0.26 means that out of every four adult does, only one would have a fawn."

To be accurate, that should probably read only one would have a fawn survive to adulthood or independence.  I am not seeing anything that low in my mixed forest-ag habitat. And, I have not idea where those numbers are coming from. There are no citations. A quick web search shows nothing recent from DEC on fawn recruitment.

Whitetail Fawn Recruitment Is Declining at an Alarming Rate, and No One’s Quite Sure Why

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/whitetail-fawn-recruitment-declines/

We avoid using treated seed, going out of our way to find untreated. I knew neonics are bad. The bird advocacy groups are constantly trying to get them banned. However, I didn't realize how ubiquitous they are. According to the Outdoor Life article, "approximately 94 percent of U.S. corn and 50 percent of U.S. soybeans are treated with types of neonicotinoids." I also had no idea how they could affect fawn survival at real life exposure levels.

Please avoid turning this into a "round up the usual suspects - kill all the coyotes" conversation. We've beaten that dead horse long enough. This is new to me. I'm curious who else is concerned/aware.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I posted up a Video last year regarding Neonics in the Turkey Section. Treated Corn  might be a major reason for the incredible  Decline of the Wild Turkey in the Southeast  States. 

Thanks for Posting up your Thread.

When you say treated corn is it treated before planted and thats the problem? I hear my brother in law say some corn "round up ready" are we poisoning them? 

24 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I can bring that video up again in a few minutes for you in the Turkey Section. I have the normal crapping in the replys- but an excellent  video.

Watched the video. I can see this could be a problem. I've seen decline in Turkey population where I have my camp in 8P. I honestly feel it's a combination of factors that led to this. Causes a perfect storm. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Has anyone been paying attention to recent research on fawn recruitment and the possible impact of neonic pesticides? Maybe this should be posted in the food plot section but it seems a larger concern than what seeds hunters are planting. Here are links to 2 articles.

First - SDSU study shows world’s most common pesticide a danger to deer

https://www.sdnewswatch.org/stories/sdsu-study-shows-worlds-most-common-pesticide-a-danger-to-deer/

From the article below: "Almost every reporting state in the Southeast and Northeast has seen a major decline since 2000. Some states have nosedived. For example, in the past 20 years, Georgia dropped from 0.71 to 0.43 fawns per doe. Louisiana declined from 0.74 to 0.44, Maryland fell from 0.74 to 0.37, New Hampshire decreased from 0.7 to 0.36, and New York plummeted to 0.26. In other words, the New York figure of 0.26 means that out of every four adult does, only one would have a fawn."

To be accurate, that should probably read only one would have a fawn survive to adulthood or independence.  I am not seeing anything that low in my mixed forest-ag habitat. And, I have not idea where those numbers are coming from. There are no citations. A quick web search shows nothing recent from DEC on fawn recruitment.

Whitetail Fawn Recruitment Is Declining at an Alarming Rate, and No One’s Quite Sure Why

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/whitetail-fawn-recruitment-declines/

We avoid using treated seed, going out of our way to find untreated. I knew neonics are bad. The bird advocacy groups are constantly trying to get them banned. However, I didn't realize how ubiquitous they are. According to the Outdoor Life article, "approximately 94 percent of U.S. corn and 50 percent of U.S. soybeans are treated with types of neonicotinoids." I also had no idea how they could affect fawn survival at real life exposure levels.

Please avoid turning this into a "round up the usual suspects - kill all the coyotes" conversation. We've beaten that dead horse long enough. This is new to me. I'm curious who else is concerned/aware.

What was your conclusion after reading all that?

22 hours ago, dmandoes said:

What was your conclusion after reading all that?

Conclusions? I read other articles and it seems there is actually little or no cost benefit to farmers for most of these treatments. The noted exception is soybeans in some areas of the south. So, apparently this stuff is killing birds, impacting deer and who knows what else, and farmers have to work hard to find untreated seed. It appears it is being used as a add-on to pad the bottom line of big-ag.

Thanks Bill for posting something in the turkey section. I've known the stuff is bad for birds but this was the first information I've come across on large mammals.

One notable thing I read was that when farmers plant seed, the machinery pushes it under the ground where wildlife would have trouble feeding on it directly. However, food plots are often seeded with broadcast seeders. Even if there is an effort to mix the seed into the soil, some will be available for wildlife, e.g. turkeys, deer, crows, etc.

On 1/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, blackbeltbill said:

I posted up a Video last year regarding Neonics in the Turkey Section. Treated Corn  might be a major reason for the incredible  Decline of the Wild Turkey in the Southeast  States. 

Thanks for Posting up your Thread.

I just watched the video Bill posted. I'm glad someone is raising awareness and rejecting the treated seed. I think anyone with a food plot should be paying close attention.

• Like 1