The Lost Art Of Rabbit Hunting

Just now, Daveboone said:

We used to do real well on bunnies without dogs around the finger lakes, but certainly the increase in predators (coyotes, hawks, etc) has thinned them out or made them much more wary. As a kid it we would track bunny tracks...which seemed to be everywhere, for hours.  

Your not kidding, a back in the day (2004-2008) Wed go to my buddies family farm in Palmyra, They had a damn near non penetrable hillside of nasty nasty briars, literally dogs couldnt even get them, about 25 acres of this.. we put on our Carhart bibs, stomped and pushed through and killed 56 bunnies in 2 weekends, 38 the first day and 18 the following weekend..  They knew they were safe because you could see them, they see you and they didnt care, the gun pattern could reach them with ease, youd just have to fight like heck to get them out.. but it was worth it and we were young lol. 

Now I will not hunt bunnies unless the dogs are rounding them up... its amazing the joy of seeing and listening to these dogs do their work.. I love it  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Wed go to my buddies family farm in Palmyra, They had a damn near non penetrable hillside of nasty nasty briars, literally dogs couldnt even get them,

Cover is the key for sure, those thick briar patches make it tough for the varmints and hawks also. I liked hunting old hillside grown up crab apple orchards and briar patches for Cotton Tails, I have found that Grouse like the same cover too.   My Airedales worked real well to flush them out of that type of habitat for a shot.

Below is a photo of  Airedale (Dill) owned by a woman from England on my Airedale board, they call their method of Rabbit and Hare hunting  "Bushing". They use various Terriers to root them out of the thick stuff, rough work for rough dogs.

Al

2022-01-10_080413.png

• Like 3

22 hours ago, airedale said:

Beagles are one of the most refined hunting breeds in existence, they have been specifically bred to hunt Rabbits and Hare for hundreds of years. I have had other dogs breeds that could put Rabbits in the bag for me, I had a pretty fair English Coonhound that was good and even had an Airedale that put out quite a few for me but all and all a well bred Beagle is the way to go.

There are nuances within the Beagle breed relating to size, nose and speed, I hunted mostly Hare on snow so I wanted Beagles up on legs and that had cold noses.

Al

2022-01-09_085454.png

126120833VKPgGZ_ph.jpg

126190242SPsFKp_ph.jpg

Those blue ticks are beautiful !!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, airedale said:

Cover is the key for sure, those thick briar patches make it tough for the varmints and hawks also. I liked hunting old hillside grown up crab apple orchards and briar patches for Cotton Tails, I have found that Grouse like the same cover too.   My Airedales worked real well to flush them out of that type of habitat for a shot.

Below is a photo of  Airedale (Dill) owned by a woman from England on my Airedale board, they call their method of Rabbit and Hare hunting  "Bushing". They use various Terriers to root them out of the thick stuff, rough work for rough dogs.

Al

2022-01-10_080413.png

Man, I feel for the pup right there. All i see is a possible heavy vet bill coming from that "Bushing" .. Looks like we will be going this weekend if the weather holds out.. Im pumped. This boy needs to run.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Man, I feel for the pup right there. All i see is a possible heavy vet bill coming from that "Bushing" .. Looks like we will be going this weekend if the weather holds out.. Im pumped. This boy needs to run.. 

Good luck and have fun

• Like 1

Hunting with dogs recalls my youth years. Hunted them with everything from rabbits to deer. Lots of action. I remember the small game hunts more in their entirety and experience.

But I can picture myself very clearly on a giant wood platform treestand sitting atop a telephone pole on a gas line cut, with the dogs hot on a trail. I knew it was coming, Bailey the best dog was first in line behind it, I could tell it was a buck by the dogs' sounds. The crackle of the CB from others telling everyone on the line to get ready. That big buck blew out of the cover and crossed a 75 yard wide cut in what seemed like seconds. I missed that buck because I was shaking so bad I couldn't sign my name. Bailey came out on the track maybe 30 seconds later and kept that buck going beyond me. The others weren't too far behind.

Hooked. For life. It was the last time I shot that rifle. I put it in the safe ever since. Someday, when I am old, I'll shoot one with it. When I shoulder it once every few years, I see the round going just barely over his back. Had him Right to left A-OK. Just too much anticipation to see the results. He was moving, fast.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, phade said:

Hunting with dogs recalls my youth years. Hunted them with everything from rabbits to deer. Lots of action. I remember the small game hunts more in their entirety and experience.

But I can picture myself very clearly on a giant wood platform treestand sitting atop a telephone pole on a gas line cut, with the dogs hot on a trail. I knew it was coming, Bailey the best dog was first in line behind it, I could tell it was a buck by the dogs' sounds. The crackle of the CB from others telling everyone on the line to get ready. That big buck blew out of the cover and crossed a 75 yard wide cut in what seemed like seconds. I missed that buck because I was shaking so bad I couldn't sign my name. Bailey came out on the track maybe 30 seconds later and kept that buck going beyond me. The others weren't too far behind.

Hooked. For life. It was the last time I shot that rifle. I put it in the safe ever since. Someday, when I am old, I'll shoot one with it. When I shoulder it once every few years, I see the round going just barely over his back. Had him Right to left A-OK. Just too much anticipation to see the results. He was moving, fast.

Where were you hunting deer with dogs?