NYS DEC recognized

Enigma

BRAVO, a very well deserved honor indeed.   It is good to see the national recognition for the NY state DEC finally listening to the majority of hunters (who hunt for meat not antlers) and making many positive changes last year.  

Those changes have helped make NY the number one state, for a meat hunter such as myself, and have directly enabled me to fill our freezer to near capacity last year, plus get a jump on this year.  

Not only have those recent changes made things much better for us meat hunters, but they have also enabled the DEC to get a much better handle on the state’s deer population, for the benefit of other groups including motorists, farmers, and homeowners, using the BEST means of population control - HUNTERS.  

0A36DDAE-46E9-4F85-BD1A-269432742D6E.jpeg

72728580-E861-46DB-A0A9-ED9D88188DB9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

“Driven by science with public input, DEC has developed a Deer Management Program that benefits deer, deer habitat, and New Yorkers,” said state DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos. “We are constantly exploring new ways to address overabundant deer populations while increasing hunting opportunities. It is an honor to be recognized by the National Deer Association for these ongoing efforts.”

I stopped reading right here lol 

Meanwhile, social media is blowing up around Cornell owning a mere 37 acres that are isolated and backing up to several private hunting properties with Cornell having bait stations and sharpshooters on it with noise reduction.

The DEC would be better off trying to fix the legislative hurdle rather than doing darn near anything with actual wildlife. Handcuffed IMO. I'm sure their job is not easy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

BRAVO, a very well deserved honor indeed.   It is good to see the national recognition for the NY state DEC finally listening to the majority of hunters (who hunt for meat not antlers) and making many positive changes last year.  

Those changes have helped make NY the number one state, for a meat hunter such as myself, and have directly enabled me to fill our freezer to near capacity last year, plus get a jump on this year.  

Not only have those recent changes made things much better for us meat hunters, but they have also enabled the DEC to get a much better handle on the state’s deer population, for the benefit of other groups including motorists, farmers, and homeowners, using the BEST means of population control - HUNTERS.  

Stop with the pictures. Please. Post the ones you get this coming year. Have seen these enough

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, phade said:

Meanwhile, social media is blowing up around Cornell owning a mere 37 acres that are isolated and backing up to several private hunting properties with Cornell having bait stations and sharpshooters on it with noise reduction.

The DEC would be better off trying to fix the legislative hurdle rather than doing darn near anything with actual wildlife. Handcuffed IMO. I'm sure their job is not easy.

I saw that this morning LOL 

Who doesnt love a good venison steak !?!?! Nice buck BTW

• Like 3

NY is not a bad state for meat hunters,but it is far from the best. Do you have any idea of what the limits are in some southern states? 

17 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I saw that this morning LOL 

Whatever the truth element is - which I am sure most of it is true, I'd be livid. You have to assume that those hunting parcels are most valued and assessed (in the real world) against the intrinsic hunting worth down there.

I'd be pushing to lower my tax assessment by having a case made that having sharpshooters destroying a shared resource next door drives down the value of the property. Hey, come buy my ground - guys with high end black guns are out here at night, right next door. You'll never know a thing, don't worry about it!

There wouldn't be a person buying that ground for 10% of what they paid for it any time soon. Probably the equivalent of lighting $50-100K on fire.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, phade said:

Whatever the truth element is - which I am sure most of it is true, I'd be livid. You have to assume that those hunting parcels are most valued and assessed (in the real world) against the intrinsic hunting worth down there.

I'd be pushing to lower my tax assessment by having a case made that having sharpshooters destroying a shared resource next door drives down the value of the property. Hey, come buy my ground - guys with high end black guns are out here at night, right next door. You'll never know a thing, don't worry about it!

There wouldn't be a person buying that ground for 10% of what they paid for it any time soon. Probably the equivalent of lighting $50-100K on fire.

Reading the comments this morning ,I'm seeing people write stuff about them luring deer in from miles around LOL.  I'd love to know the attractant being used for that.

1 hour ago, boo711 said:

Stop with the pictures. Please. Post the ones you get this coming year. Have seen these enough

Pic’s are like the DEC…When something only happens once every 6 years it’s news! Amazes me how DEC gets any feel good awards when it’s the white shirts getting payed off to make Ny’s hunting decisions. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Reading the comments this morning ,I'm seeing people write stuff about them luring deer in from miles around LOL.  I'd love to know the attractant being used for that.

Yeah, people get dramatic with it, but, like with anything something of a kernel of truth. If they are doing this in Feb. or March corn can pull deer in from some distance via yarding type of scenario. Doubt they're using small amounts of corn, ha.

But, for those bordering, I'd feel real bad. That legit stinks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phade said:

Link to this? Can’t find it by searching. 

Edited by left field

54 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Jeesh, wolc you're becoming more of a troll than a contributer lately. I think it's time for a little self reflection.;)

B67D11F9-18AA-4BD8-B954-4DDE256031B3.thumb.jpeg.ba5d1687c60bbf166b54d9317bdfdea9.jpeg  I am just thankful to be able to reflect on a few more meals like this, thanks to the new rules the NY DEC gave us last year.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

NY is not a bad state for meat hunters,but it is far from the best. Do you have any idea of what the limits are in some southern states? 

If you can handle the heat, traffic, ticks, and hogs and hurricanes down there, then have at it.  I can’t tolerate too much of that bs myself.  

The current bag limit of (9) on whitetails in NY, is sufficient for my family of 4.  3-4 is usually plenty for us, with some leftover for the next year, when times might be tougher.  

As a “meat hunter”, I feel more unshackled by the changes the DEC put thru last year, than I would have been if they had allowed the crossbow throughout archery season.   

Edited by wolc123

When it was 'The Conservation Department' its' leadership consisted of men that worked their way up through the ranks, they were respected by the rank and file, the flora and fauna of NY was their focus, the Conservationist magazine was read throughout the land. Now that its the Department of environmental Conservation, The leadership is a political hack that may have not one clue about trees, fish and game, regional HQ's are appointed not on merit and ability, The "Conservationest " magazine has become, like the department as a whole, a politically correct crap show that just echoes the left wing crap from the top. And yet, many still vote in these lefties that care nothing for our individual rights anymore than they have concern over the actual environment.