.243 deer hunters , ? On bullet of choice

Federal Blue Box 100 gr, Hornady American 100 gr., and the Barnes 80 gr.

All have demonstrated terminal performance just fine.

The Barnes are real nice, but very pricey and hard to get right now. I have a few boxes left and sighted in my Vanguard with the Federal because I lucked into 10 boxes of it November 2020. It was lights out. Felt no need to try the Barnes. Did fine on a Missouri whitetail this year.

As long as you are shooting a mainstream 100 gr. or thereabouts with whitetail in mind, I'd be more concerned on accuracy. Don't get me wrong, the Barnes is very very nice. But in this climate, it might not be worth the ROI.

• Like 2

I don’t reload. CBB sells loaded ammo in 6.8spc and that’s what I use and are very accurate. They have gotten great results on deer and hogs, and even elk. I’m sure that the .243 would perform just as good. They open up very well, even at lower velocities than the Barnes do, which will expand your range. There are plenty of YouTube videos on them showing testing. You can always email the owner Robert on recommendations on powder and loading. He has always been very willing to share information. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Dan what power combo do use use with these.....another member on here and myself are looking at going this route for his daughter who is turning 12 and will be going hunting this fall with a .243

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean by power combo. I use off the shelf Barnes 80 grain TTSX bullets in a Winchester model 70 stainless in 243. Went a bit overkill with the scope Leupold 4.5-14x44 or something like that. The best rifle/ bullet/ scope combo that I have owned to date. Incredibly confident in it well past the range I'm able to shoot in NY.

I used a Winchester model 70 in 243 for the first decade i hunted in PA. Was a shooter friendly rig, but then again I was a large 12+ year old....hold the fat jokes :) 

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean by power combo. I use off the shelf Barnes 80 grain TTSX bullets in a Winchester model 70 stainless in 243. Went a bit overkill with the scope Leupold 4.5-14x44 or something like that. The best rifle/ bullet/ scope combo that I have owned to date. Incredibly confident in it well past the range I'm able to shoot in NY.
I used a Winchester model 70 in 243 for the first decade i hunted in PA. Was a shooter friendly rig, but then again I was a large 12+ year old....hold the fat jokes  

He probably meant powder. Brand of powder and how many grains to match up with that 80 grain TTSX bullet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I used a Winchester model 70 in 243 for the first decade i hunted in PA. Was a shooter friendly rig, but then again I was a large 12+ year old....hold the fat jokes  
I ment powder.....thought you reloaded that round.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, mlammerhirt said:

I ment powder.....thought you reloaded that round.

I would LOVE to get into reloading; however, I have 3 young boys that consume what little free time I have. One day i will get there, just not any time soon.