Jump to content

Cabin construction ideas


Recommended Posts

I mentioned a few months back that my mom passed. Being what it is, I stand to inherit a little bit of money as a result. I plan to buy a little chunk of land with part of it and setup a camp. I love the idea of having a little cabin that we can get away to and to use as a hunting camp for the family as my boys grow. I don't have any construction experience and figured I'd look for some input from folks on the forum who might be able to weigh in.  I have an idea in mind of what i want the final product to be, just not sure on the best way to get there. 

I plan to do as much of the work on my own as I can. I enjoy working with my hands, and find it rewarding when I can look at a project after the fact and say "I built that." I'll probably hire out the site prep, but would plan to do most of the construction on my own with help from friends or family. I'm ok with this project taking a few years where I can add and build as time and money allow. 

This would likely be totally off grid. I like the idea of a small self contained solar setup to power lights and an alarm clock (so I don't oversleep during the rut!), maybe a pump for a shower. Bathroom would be managed by either a port-a-potty or a composting toilet. A wood burning stove would be the heat source. 

The end result would have a large room for the kitchen area, dining area, and a sitting area. Also I'm thinking 2 rooms for the beds, one for bunks and the other for me and the misses. A small room to house the toilet area would be needed. For the entry way, I'm thinking a roughly 6x6 room to keep the boots, hunting clothes out of the main living space. Also a porch would be nice. 

If it were just me and the boys, I wouldn't need so much space. But in order for the wife to sign off on the project, concessions had to be made. 

As far as the size and floorplan, I'm not sold on any particular layout. I've seen one floor setups that are anywhere from 24x24 to 16x30 and two story setups where the footprint is roughly 12x20. I'm open to whatever makes the most sense from a construction perspective. I like the idea of keep it modular (studs 16" OC, spans in 4' increments, etc.) to make planning and construction easy.

I've looked into all wood construction, converting shipping containers, and more recently metal buildings. I think it's safe to say I've ruled out the shipping container idea. From what I've read, you'll end up spending more on it than if you had just started with a different format from the beginning. Wooden build seems like the tried and true way to go. More recently I've thought about a steel structure. I'm drawn to the weatherproof exterior and the fact that they come in kits with everything pre-cut, pre-measured, etc for a reasonable price. Once the shell is assembled, I could frame it out with standard studs, insulate it, add windows, etc. 

I'd love to hear if anyone on here has any experience they can share with building a similar camp, or converting a steel building. Suggestions on things I should avoid or things that I should be careful not to overlook. Any input is appreciated! I'm way early in the planning of all this. I'd like to have a property in the next 12-18 months, and to get a site prepped soon after so that I can really start digging into this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have zero experience with building anything but if I were to purchase 10,20,whatever acres the first thing I would do to setup a hunting / vacation camp would be to buy a used Camper / Trailer and leave the wheels on so as not to increase the taxable portion of that property . After a couple years of decision to build whatever you would have enjoyed the property - hunting , fishing , hiking , weekend getaway ... whatever you can make a better decision on what you might want as far as permanent goes ! Just my 2 cents !

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would build with wood and put metal roof on it with 2ft over hangs, wrap it with tyvac and then board and batton. For siding,   pre built trusses for roof and get halve built for a loft in center ( even if your not going to use it right away) the other half vaulted for a higher ceiling in common kitchen, living area.  Bedrooms  under loft area so you can put ceilings in rooms..  trusses will be most expensive portion  to buy,  or perhaps the concrete slab to use as foundation.  I'd make on a slab if permanent or put on  good beam structure on top of a stone pad  if you want to skip taxes on permanent structure  just make sure to use a vapor barrier under it.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously consider a camper/5th wheel,I wish i would have instead of a structure.The tax on a structure is terrible where i am at in Catt.county,and trying to deal with these small town assesors is a waste of time.A structure= high tax,and basically no service but road plowing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i did a metal pole barn had the shell put up for me by RLS buildings they did it in a day 1/2 price wasnt bad this was in 2016 building if i recall is 24x 36  I then  finished the inside in rough cut lumber was the cheapest route i found inside is rustic,  outside very durable .....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bolt action said:

I mentioned a few months back that my mom passed. Being what it is, I stand to inherit a little bit of money as a result. I plan to buy a little chunk of land with part of it and setup a camp. I love the idea of having a little cabin that we can get away to and to use as a hunting camp for the family as my boys grow. I don't have any construction experience and figured I'd look for some input from folks on the forum who might be able to weigh in.  I have an idea in mind of what i want the final product to be, just not sure on the best way to get there. 

I plan to do as much of the work on my own as I can. I enjoy working with my hands, and find it rewarding when I can look at a project after the fact and say "I built that." I'll probably hire out the site prep, but would plan to do most of the construction on my own with help from friends or family. I'm ok with this project taking a few years where I can add and build as time and money allow. 

This would likely be totally off grid. I like the idea of a small self contained solar setup to power lights and an alarm clock (so I don't oversleep during the rut!), maybe a pump for a shower. Bathroom would be managed by either a port-a-potty or a composting toilet. A wood burning stove would be the heat source. 

The end result would have a large room for the kitchen area, dining area, and a sitting area. Also I'm thinking 2 rooms for the beds, one for bunks and the other for me and the misses. A small room to house the toilet area would be needed. For the entry way, I'm thinking a roughly 6x6 room to keep the boots, hunting clothes out of the main living space. Also a porch would be nice. 

If it were just me and the boys, I wouldn't need so much space. But in order for the wife to sign off on the project, concessions had to be made. 

As far as the size and floorplan, I'm not sold on any particular layout. I've seen one floor setups that are anywhere from 24x24 to 16x30 and two story setups where the footprint is roughly 12x20. I'm open to whatever makes the most sense from a construction perspective. I like the idea of keep it modular (studs 16" OC, spans in 4' increments, etc.) to make planning and construction easy.

I've looked into all wood construction, converting shipping containers, and more recently metal buildings. I think it's safe to say I've ruled out the shipping container idea. From what I've read, you'll end up spending more on it than if you had just started with a different format from the beginning. Wooden build seems like the tried and true way to go. More recently I've thought about a steel structure. I'm drawn to the weatherproof exterior and the fact that they come in kits with everything pre-cut, pre-measured, etc for a reasonable price. Once the shell is assembled, I could frame it out with standard studs, insulate it, add windows, etc. 

I'd love to hear if anyone on here has any experience they can share with building a similar camp, or converting a steel building. Suggestions on things I should avoid or things that I should be careful not to overlook. Any input is appreciated! I'm way early in the planning of all this. I'd like to have a property in the next 12-18 months, and to get a site prepped soon after so that I can really start digging into this.

I’m in the same boat,  inherited some money and we’re leasing one more year  to save more towards property. I also eventually want to put a small cabin on it but will be going the rout of a RV. Now is probably not the best time to be buying one but I would think in a year or two prices will come back  down . Hell all those who bought one over the pandemic may want to unload it by then. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another option would be an amish built shed on skids ( no taxes)  put on a good stone pad, and you can finish inside yourself ,  only issue is constrained to size and delivery via rollback truck or trailer.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A dedicated strip down/ mud room would be a good idea . My buddy built one in his house for after snowmobile rides complete with heated floors . It works incredible for laying clothes out on the floor to dry. Off grid probably not work for that but an option none the less.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I have seen suggestions about building on skids and not being taxed. I would check with the town you plan on building in.

I know locally we are getting taxed on these structures over a certain size. 

Good point , I know in my town if a shed is larger than 10 by 10 you need a building permit .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in a 24x28 log cabin kit home. Cost was 28k for the structure. I put it on a slab with block walls for crawl space. I did everything myself with help from a couple buddies. Took us 8 days in total. I bought the worlds crappiest lull Telehandler and sold it when I was done for a small profit to save on Crane costs. Not counting well and sewer I finished it for just under 50k. It’s an open floor plan with 1 bedroom and bathroom down stairs and a loft master bedroom with a half bath.

I’m sure the price is now doubled, I ordered mine early 2019.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My in laws use to rent a little lakeside off the grid cabin like that for a couple weekends each fall.  
 
It had a bathroom with a shower and a storage tank that was filled with water pumped up from the lake.  That water was used for the shower, sink and toilet.  There was a propane hot water heater and a 12 volt rv style pump.  
 

There were solar panels for charging batteries or we ran a gas generator.  Most of the lights, the refrigerator and the stove were propane.  A big fireplace and some kerosene heaters provided heat.  
 

My wife and I did our honeymoon in that cabin one summer during opening week of bass season, and I killed my first northern zone deer from it during the early ML week one fall.   
 

I miss that place a bit, but I definitely prefer the on the grid lake house that her parents  built for their retirement home, not far from there.    
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

My wife and I did our honeymoon in that cabin one summer during opening week of bass season, and I killed my first northern zone deer from it during the early ML week one fall.

Where is the picture of that one???:rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my place built in 2007. Size is 20x24 plus the porch. 5 years ago I added a big extension off the left side with a full basement. The original cabin has 1 bedroom, loft, eat in kitchen, bathroom and small sitting area. As you see it this was built by a Mennonite Crew. It also included grading and a stone driveway. House is built on pilings. Back then this cost $15,000. I finished the inside with my brother.

IMG_1340.jpeg

IMG_1339.jpeg

IMG_1343.jpeg

IMG_1342.jpeg

IMG_1341.jpeg

Edited by First-light
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Another option would be an amish built shed on skids ( no taxes)  put on a good stone pad, and you can finish inside yourself ,  only issue is constrained to size and delivery via rollback truck or trailer.

I was recently up in the Canton / Potsdam area. There are lots of Amish up there and it got me thinking. To your point though, size would be a consideration. If it were just me with the boys, I think that might be the way to go. With the wife though, I need a little more space than they can deliver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@First-light that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. That structure, with grading and the driveway, for $15k. I didn't realize that Amish or Mennonites would build on site. I wonder what that would run me in 2022 dollars. While I love the idea of doing as much of the work as I can, if I can get the same or better end result in a realistic time frame within my budget, even better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

A dedicated strip down/ mud room would be a good idea . My buddy built one in his house for after snowmobile rides complete with heated floors . It works incredible for laying clothes out on the floor to dry. Off grid probably not work for that but an option none the less.

My thought here was that if I'm using a wood burning stove to warm the place (until they're outlawed), I wouldn't want the smell on my hunting clothes. Between that and wanting to keep snowy/muddy boots out of the living areas, an enclosed entryway just seems to make sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

@First-light that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. That structure, with grading and the driveway, for $15k. I didn't realize that Amish or Mennonites would build on site. I wonder what that would run me in 2022 dollars. While I love the idea of doing as much of the work as I can, if I can get the same or better end result in a realistic time frame within my budget, even better.

Yeah it was a builder from Canisteo who owned the company but was able to grab this Mennonite crew at a really cheap price. I could not resist. One mistake I made was going with 2x4 walls. If you look they put a furring strip on the 2x4's and nailed to board and battan to it. House was wrapped and we insulated. Problem is too many areas for those damn Cluster Flies to get in. Feel free to ask any question PM me. Good luck hopefully this fall I move to it full time. 

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, First-light said:

This is my place built in 2007. Size is 20x24 plus the porch. 5 years ago I added a big extension off the left side with a full basement. The original cabin has 1 bedroom, loft, eat in kitchen, bathroom and small sitting area. As you see it this was built by a Mennonite Crew. It also included grading and a stone driveway. House is built on pilings. Back then this cost $15,000. I finished the inside with my brother.

IMG_1340.jpeg

IMG_1339.jpeg

IMG_1343.jpeg

IMG_1342.jpeg

IMG_1341.jpeg

So do you have electric , water , ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, luberhill said:

So do you have electric , water , ?

Yes I do. My neighbor is the only resident on the road. I needed one pole to bring electric to my cabin from his. Had a well drilled 185' we sit on an aquifer, plenty of water. Septic was put in by the builder. Had to submit plans for cabin and septic to the town. Kitchen cabinets were custom made along with the floors. Tried to keep all work done by locals. Got to know them real well, a lot of good advice. I'll dig up some finished picts and post so you can get an idea of finished area.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 9:36 AM, Bolt action said:

I mentioned a few months back that my mom passed. Being what it is, I stand to inherit a little bit of money as a result. I plan to buy a little chunk of land with part of it and setup a camp. I love the idea of having a little cabin that we can get away to and to use as a hunting camp for the family as my boys grow. I don't have any construction experience and figured I'd look for some input from folks on the forum who might be able to weigh in.  I have an idea in mind of what i want the final product to be, just not sure on the best way to get there. 

I plan to do as much of the work on my own as I can. I enjoy working with my hands, and find it rewarding when I can look at a project after the fact and say "I built that." I'll probably hire out the site prep, but would plan to do most of the construction on my own with help from friends or family. I'm ok with this project taking a few years where I can add and build as time and money allow. 

This would likely be totally off grid. I like the idea of a small self contained solar setup to power lights and an alarm clock (so I don't oversleep during the rut!), maybe a pump for a shower. Bathroom would be managed by either a port-a-potty or a composting toilet. A wood burning stove would be the heat source. 

The end result would have a large room for the kitchen area, dining area, and a sitting area. Also I'm thinking 2 rooms for the beds, one for bunks and the other for me and the misses. A small room to house the toilet area would be needed. For the entry way, I'm thinking a roughly 6x6 room to keep the boots, hunting clothes out of the main living space. Also a porch would be nice. 

If it were just me and the boys, I wouldn't need so much space. But in order for the wife to sign off on the project, concessions had to be made. 

As far as the size and floorplan, I'm not sold on any particular layout. I've seen one floor setups that are anywhere from 24x24 to 16x30 and two story setups where the footprint is roughly 12x20. I'm open to whatever makes the most sense from a construction perspective. I like the idea of keep it modular (studs 16" OC, spans in 4' increments, etc.) to make planning and construction easy.

I've looked into all wood construction, converting shipping containers, and more recently metal buildings. I think it's safe to say I've ruled out the shipping container idea. From what I've read, you'll end up spending more on it than if you had just started with a different format from the beginning. Wooden build seems like the tried and true way to go. More recently I've thought about a steel structure. I'm drawn to the weatherproof exterior and the fact that they come in kits with everything pre-cut, pre-measured, etc for a reasonable price. Once the shell is assembled, I could frame it out with standard studs, insulate it, add windows, etc. 

I'd love to hear if anyone on here has any experience they can share with building a similar camp, or converting a steel building. Suggestions on things I should avoid or things that I should be careful not to overlook. Any input is appreciated! I'm way early in the planning of all this. I'd like to have a property in the next 12-18 months, and to get a site prepped soon after so that I can really start digging into this.

Here are some inside finished pictures. The bath does have a stall shower and a 50 gallon hot water heater. 

IMG_1281.JPG

64184288530__3C864B21-495B-47D1-8C80-E1C683EDCED5.jpeg

DSC00866.JPG

DSC00749.JPG

DSC00707.JPG

DSC00870.JPG

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...