Over under turkey set ups

Jeremy K

I've probably watched every video of over under turkey set ups on YouTube.  I love the ide of 2 completely different set ups in one gun. I'm really new to hunting turkey and was curious from people who have some time hunting them if that's something that would come in handy when hunting turkey.

Also over under are just cool looking.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

I've probably watched every video of over under turkey set ups on YouTube.  I love the ide of 2 completely different set ups in one gun. I'm really new to hunting turkey and was curious from people who have some time hunting them if that's something that would come in handy when hunting turkey.
O/U seems a bit odd for me. Personally I find either a semi or even pump would be preferable for turkey. I have both. I use my O/U for clays and wing shooting but would never consider taking it for turkey hunting. But that's just me.

https://www.instagram.com/thejerkman

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

• Like 1

On the rare occasion I go turkey hunting I have used an O/U – I just like them.  I have two different chokes and loads, one for a bit closer of a shot, one for further.  It doesn't make a darn bit of difference to me because I never see birds and therefore never shoot. LOL!

I will say those TSS loads in an O/U are painful. If I were going to buy a dedicated turkey gun it would be an auto I think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Were you thinking same caliber different load......or let's say 20ga. Over a 410?
That combo seems cool to me.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I was just thinking one set up for longer shots and one up close . It's not like I see a ton of birds but I have a desire for a new gun and it will probably be for turkey.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I tried it,I used a mossberg HS12 which is a short 18” barrel “home defense” over under. It just never worked out as well as I would have liked. It was very very hard to get the 2 patterns to shoot the same. Even with a red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it barrel length ? or just trying to get both barrels to use the same sight regardless of length ? 

I am a big fan of double shotguns mostly because of the old school tradition and look they evoke, but they do have the  advantages you listed of having two different loads to cover different situations afield. I admit I have zero experience hunting Turkeys with a double  but I have used them for all other wing shooting and small game up to Fox size with good success, there is no reason why a quality double would not make a good Turkey gun. Mine are not the high end fancy jobs, they are of medium quality and will pattern as well as my dedicated Remington 870 Waterfowl-Turkey gun. Also I like double triggers over a single selective.

Mine are all side by sides except for one 28 ga over and under.

Al

• Like 3

Was it barrel length ? or just trying to get both barrels to use the same sight regardless of length ? 

No, with two full or tighter chojes it’s very difficult to get both barrels regulated to same poi. With mod chokes it wasn’t noticeable but when the chokes got tighter it showed itself. I put a bunch of money into different chokes and machining them and got it close. I killed a few birds with it but never really liked carrying it and shortly after switched everything over to 20ga.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

The Charles Daly O/U I carried with you has two different barrels. I don't have the card handy, but you shoot one wider patter for shorter range and then can follow up farther with tighter pattern

• Like 1

I use a 28ga O/U I love the gun, It shoots great both top and bottom barrels. I use a full in the bottom and Indian Creek .525 in the top. The Indian creek sends an insane pattern! I handload Tungsten turkey shells. I Think im going to have it dipped Bottom Land , Or buy another and dip that one.. They're t9oo pretty of guns to turn into strictly turkey guns for a poor boy like me lol. The only 2 down falls i have with mine is the trigger sucks! Also, I like Red dot style scopes/reticles and these guns look terrible with a holographic style optic on it. Luckily my POA /POI is the same  

• Like 1

That is what Hunters do from what,I read. 1st Barrel would be #6s followed by #4s for a longer range shot if a miss or slight wounding occurred.   Quieter then a semi auto action in closing. I have see hunters in videos hold to bolt handle and close it themselves. I am not in favor of that however. I saw one guy on the Hunting Public as well as Mark Drury that had to bring that handle back again when they could not fire. Not good with a Gobbler already in range. 

That was my setup, 2 3/4’s high brass game load of 6’s in the bottom and longbeards xr’s 5’s on top. Inside of 30 they got the 6’s and outside they would get the longbeards.

Unless you’re getting into the 28’s or 410’s I don’t see an advantage in that setup anyMore with tss. Tss doesn’t shoot as tight up close like lead does. When I built my o/u setup it was to try to find a solution for all the missing I was having at birds inside of 10yds “every bird I’ve missed has been inside of 10yds.” Turns out the solution was to ship worrying about the 40 yd shot and setup to shoot them at 15-20yds, if they don’t come inside of 30 they live to fight another day.

• Like 4

On 1/10/2022 at 2:46 PM, airedale said:

I am a big fan of double shotguns mostly because of the old school tradition and look they evoke, but they do have the  advantages you listed of having two different loads to cover different situations afield. I admit I have zero experience hunting Turkeys with a double  but I have used them for all other wing shooting and small game up to Fox size with good success, there is no reason why a quality double would not make a good Turkey gun. Mine are not the high end fancy jobs, they are of medium quality and will pattern as well as my dedicated Remington 870 Waterfowl-Turkey gun. Also I like double triggers over a single selective.

Mine are all side by sides except for one 28 ga over and under.

Al

I like the old side by sides with two triggers myself.  I have two, that my grandfather left me.  One was his first gun, an old Ithaca from the 1920’s.  It is a 12 gauge with 30” modified and full choke barrels.

I never hunted with it, but I used it for quite a few rounds of trap.  I would tell the guys with the over and unders, that if God wanted us to use a gun like that, He would have put our eyes that way.

The other one is a shorter, but heavier 16 gauge J Stevens Springfield, choked modified and improved cylinder.  That is my favorite grouse and rabbit gun. I took it up to the Adirondacks for grouse and bear last fall, because I had already filled my buck tag by the time of that trip.  

I have checked that gun with slugs on paper targets, and it is quite accurate up to about 50 yards. Unfortunately, I didn’t run into any grouse or bears on that trip.

2B12F6D1-69EB-4DDE-9272-17388DAF1B01.thumb.jpeg.952864268237269bc5d010541a4c9bcd.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4