Coyote setups

Evening.  I am going to try to get down to my dads a few times within the next month or two to try calling in some coyotes.  

his property isn’t huge, but I have access to other family members land that is not too far away.  If I have 3 spots planned for set ups, is it worth my while to hit spots 1,2,3…wait a little bit, and hit 1,2,3 again?  Farthest spots would be about a mile drive, maybe a little less as the crow flies.

thanks in advance.

During the day, or at night? Do you see coyotes or hear them there often?

You'll know better after your first set for sure, whether they respond or not. Not saying theyll always respond but dont play your calls exteremely loud and you can cover those areas, make sure your wind is right as well as how you access and you should be able to hit those spots.. 

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

During the day, or at night? Do you see coyotes or hear them there often?

You'll know better after your first set for sure, whether they respond or not. Not saying theyll always respond but dont play your calls exteremely loud and you can cover those areas, make sure your wind is right as well as how you access and you should be able to hit those spots.. 

My dad and his wife claim to hear them at night.  I’ve got a pair on camera at all hours of the night.  My plan is to begin the setups just before dark and work my way between setups.  20-30 minutes each spot.

57 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

My dad and his wife claim to hear them at night.  I’ve got a pair on camera at all hours of the night.  My plan is to begin the setups just before dark and work my way between setups.  20-30 minutes each spot.

I like to push my sets up to an hour or more if I'm in a spot i know coyotes are, or like to be. When calling coyotes who have been called to before... patience will kill them more than a call ever will.. Few coyote vocals to let them know your present every once in awhile will kill every time, You will be surprised what comes in after an hour or so, when most people have all packed up and left.. the coyote/s come in and investigate.. and most times (damn near everytime) you educate them.. unless you killed them.. 

They are amazing animals. 

Be mindful of the wind direction in your stand placement.

If their hungry, the wind won't make a big difference, but you should always take it into account.

If you don't hear anything making noise after it turns dark, try short and loud locator calls every 5 minutes.

If you get a response, give short call responses and wait.

Try some distress calling after that and be on the lookout.

Have fun and let us know how you make out.