My Taxidermy Shop

518BowSlayer

This is going to be a long process but the process has finally started! My wife and I just bought a house after living in the same downtown Troy apartment for 15 years. And mounting animals in my living room was getting old and frustrating. Luckily the house we bought has a massive garage that will become my taxidermy shop. Over 3000 square feet. It does needs a lot of work and I'd like to share the process with all of you. Not gonna do to much with it over the winter, maybe just some interior demo. Gonna set up shop in the basement for the time being, definitely better than the living room! Progress will probably a little slow but I'll try to keep you all updated. The dog loves it just the way it is though!2e9394561e830c1da482172cba9dd852.jpgae675f96cd99d03a5cf1d0353b89c832.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 27

Forgot to mention the best part... it's literally right next door to a property I already hunt! My landlord of 15 years (and close friend) lives on the next street over and our backyards almost touch. He only has 5 acres but it's next to 25 acres of farm land. I'm gonna try to contact the owner of the 25 and see if I can hunt that too. Even if I can't, I'll still be able to walk right out my back door and be in my stand within 2 minutes. I've killed more deer from that stand than anywhere. Don't see too many quality bucks there during the season though. Sometimes get a couple good ones on cam in September then they're never to be seen again. Maybe if I start knocking down more does the buck ratio will even out a little. At least that's the excuse I'll use for filling up the freezers!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

This is going to be a long process but the process has finally started! My wife and I just bought a house after living in the same downtown Troy apartment for 15 years. And mounting animals in my living room was getting old and frustrating. Luckily the house we bought has a massive garage that will become my taxidermy shop. Over 3000 square feet. It does needs a lot of work and I'd like to share the process with all of you. Not gonna do to much with it over the winter, maybe just some interior demo. Gonna set up shop in the basement for the time being, definitely better than the living room! Progress will probably a little slow but I'll try to keep you all updated. The dog loves it just the way it is though!2e9394561e830c1da482172cba9dd852.jpgae675f96cd99d03a5cf1d0353b89c832.jpg

You’ve got some work to do , but man that’s a nice garage .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Nice man!  Maybe I'll get a chance to drop off a couple sets of antlers later in the week and see!

• Like 1

congrats man, that's awesome I can't imagine the freedom you'll feel now from an apartment. I would recommend you focus on that roof area first as it looks like there may have been some leaks in the past (maybe fixed now?). All the work you do on the inside, especially with any mounts could be lost if your structure isn't sound.

Oh and obligatory hunting question. Any land?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Forgot to mention the best part... it's literally right next door to a property I already hunt! My landlord of 15 years (and close friend) lives on the next street over and our backyards almost touch. He only has 5 acres but it's next to 25 acres of farm land. I'm gonna try to contact the owner of the 25 and see if I can hunt that too. Even if I can't, I'll still be able to walk right out my back door and be in my stand within 2 minutes. I've killed more deer from that stand than anywhere. Don't see too many quality bucks there during the season though. Sometimes get a couple good ones on cam in September then they're never to be seen again. Maybe if I start knocking down more does the buck ratio will even out a little. At least that's the excuse I'll use for filling up the freezers!

awesome. nothing beats hunting close to home for those quick sits.

congrats man, that's awesome I can't imagine the freedom you'll feel now from an apartment. I would recommend you focus on that roof area first as it looks like there may have been some leaks in the past (maybe fixed now?). All the work you do on the inside, especially with any mounts could be lost if your structure isn't sound.
Yup definitely needs a roof. Part of it is metal and the rest is shingles. Thinking of doing it all metal. Got a buddy of mine who does roofs so he's gonna help me out

• Like 2

Little less than an acre

40 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Yup definitely needs a roof. Part of it is metal and the rest is shingles. Thinking of doing it all metal. Got a buddy of mine who does roofs so he's gonna help me out

We have metal roofs on our cabins up in the daks and they're awesome. I'm no roofing expert but for these types of structures I think that's the way most recommend to go.

• Like 1