Snow predictions .

Nytracker

So I'm in Missouri  with my sister and dad . We are scheduled  to drive back Saturday morning.  There is a storm prediction starting tomorrow through Saturday. Weather Channel ap says 1 inch of snow Saturday  morning . Thats pretty much  all the way to Ohio. 

The weather Channel is predicting 8 to 12 inches possibly  for Kansas city area.  They can't make up their  minds depends on what model they are calling for . 

We had a white knuckle ride through Indiana  on the way out do to freezing  rain . Trucks and cars off the road . 1 hour parked on 70 no movement.  Came up on a fatal accident  that killed 4 people . 

Trying  to decide if we should leave  tomorrow and try to beat the storm here  and be ahead of it or hope the worst has passed and the plow trucks have it cleaned up. Saturday morning traffic sounds way better than big city traffic.  Saturday morning we add snow and ice .

What are your thoughts? 

16 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

So I'm in Missouri  with my sister and dad . We are scheduled  to drive back Saturday morning.  There is a storm prediction starting tomorrow through Saturday. Weather Channel ap says 1 inch of snow Saturday  morning . Thats pretty much  all the way to Ohio. 

The weather Channel is predicting 8 to 12 inches possibly  for Kansas city area.  They can't make up their  minds depends on what model they are calling for . 

We had a white knuckle ride through Indiana  on the way out do to freezing  rain . Trucks and cars off the road . 1 hour parked on 70 no movement.  Came up on a fatal accident  that killed 4 people . 

Trying  to decide if we should leave  tomorrow and try to beat the storm here  and be ahead of it or hope the worst has passed and the plow trucks have it cleaned up. Saturday morning traffic sounds way better than big city traffic.  Saturday morning we add snow and ice .

What are your thoughts? 

Tough call. I was in KC for a Chiefs playoff game a few years ago. they got 8" of snow and everything was at a standstill. they were not equipped. I was shocked since I assumed they got lots of snow but i think they only get 20" per year so 8" in one storm shut everything down.

I would play it by ear. If no definitive information by Friday afternoon I would probably just hunker down where I am and travel back on Monday. It's not so much you driving an unsafe driving conditions it's other idiots who don't know how to drive in those conditions. Not worth it in big storms. Also unless you're prepared to hunker down in your truck not worth it. My .02. good luck stay safe

For the Northeast they are saying to stay tuned for a possible big storm Sunday night into Monday.  No predictions yet but forecasters are saying stay tuned. 

Yea a follow a meteorologist blog the models are saying Sunday into Monday will be bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there's a few models out there now that are showing different things for us, it depends on where this costal storm tracks. It's hard enough to predict those costal storms, add in trying to figure out snow amounts that can vary widely based on a degree or two of temperature, it's almost impossible until it gets here.

I know some people hate the snow, but I'm kind of hoping for at least a shot. 

36 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

What are your thoughts? 

Well they always seem to over predict theses things , however myself being retired and not tied to a schedule, I’d either hunker down , or leave early . Leaving early is probably your best choice .

My Subaru with snow rated tires , never goes below half a tank, I have a shovel , extra clothes and all that as well .

Last time coming home from Fla. we drove at night in a snow storm from Erie to home . We were so close we didn’t want to grab a hotel when we were a idk 3 hours from home . But that might have been the smarter move  .

Leave early .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Left a day early to avoid weather ... sister drives like a Nascar racer. Should roll in at home 930 ish pm been on the road since 530 ... looks like good weather all the way barring LE.

Still probably not a bad idea, looks like it could be nasty late Sunday and Monday. Be safe!

On 1/12/2022 at 1:33 PM, Nomad said:

My Subaru with snow rated tires , never goes below half a tank, I have a shovel , extra clothes and all that as well .

I'm guessing you left out binoculars and the north American bird identification guide because it wasnt prudent to the story or...