Y'all are a bad influence!

Moho81

That's right you heard me each and everyone of you are a bad influence especially @grampy @Lawdwaz @airedale @mlammerhirt @rob-c and I'm sure many others that I'm forgetting.    

You guy's got me interested in reloading so I started to look around and ask question and look for used equipment. Well last night I stopped at a guys house that was selling some stuff and picked up a RCBS single stage press, misc. brass, tumbler with extra media, 1000 cci large rifle primers and 2 pounds of Hodgons Varget powder. I still have more to purchase before I can start but it looks like I am committed now. 

I mostly just want to reload for my 30-.06 and my daughters .243. @mlammerhirt and myself are working together to work up a light load for the .243 for our kids. If reloading for those goes well maybe I'll start to reload for other calibers. 

So thanks..... I think? 

• Like 9

And your welcome!! I think!

Now our next step would be to get one of our resident wny reloaders to show us the ropes. We have both watched way to many YouTube videos and browsed a few reloading manuals......but good ole hands on experience is what we are looking for.

We have beer and will travel!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You will soon be addicted! But that's a good thing! The more I do it, the more I love it! Quite the thrill to see a whitetail drop in his tracks, from a round you made up yourself!

I spent about a year, gathering up odds and ends, after picking up my press from a forum member. Sounds like you have a good jump on the basics!

I also, during that year read anything I could get my hands on about reloading. Along with 3 or 4 different manuals from the likes of Hornady, Nosler, Federal, and Remington. The help and advice I got from the guys here was invaluable!!! I have a thread that started from the beginning to loading my first rounds that may help you? 

We are all here, and eager to help you get going too. Guys with a ton more experience than I have, will be checking in.

Have fun and good luck!!!

• Like 4

Congrats folks, you will not be sorry you took the plunge, Grampy's advice about reading everything you can get your hands on is sound. I have at least a dozen reloading manuals and have gained solid information from all of them, older manuals can be purchased on ebay for a song if you shop right and the info within is still relevant and useful. Also online sites providing sound reloading info are many.

The 243 was the first cartridge I loaded for and still have and use the equipment that was purchased over 50 years ago. IMR 4895 was the powder I used for several bullets and rifles with perfect success.

A lot of water under the bridge since those days and powder and bullet choices have jumped tremendously.

Good score on the Varget powder, it is hard to come by, I have my name on Midway's list for some when they get it in.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Reloading can be quite rewarding . I started several years ago after buying some used Lyman equipment off of the "Swap Sheet" . Then added a tumbler , a Lee Single press to go with the Lyman Turret Press . Bought several die sets , primer pocket cleaners , etc. 

I have reloaded for 223 , 7-30 waters , 25-06 , 44mag , 270 and 380 . I read the Lyman Reloading book twice before ever starting . I was nervous at first but it got easier the more I got into it . I also started out with an Ohaus beam scale but then switched to an electronic scale . I don't think reloading is less expensive after buying all the equipment but you can tweak your loads to satisfy your shooting needs . 

Moho81 - congrats on your start-up .

• Like 1

Question......so if we have powder and want to use what we already have.....do we need to match that powder to a specific bullet. Last night Jason looked up the Hogdon Varget powder he got and it said to match with an 80 grain Hdy Gmx bullet. Or can you match thay power with any 80 grain bullet?

Glad I could help with you parting with your hard earned cash. Go slow and pay attention to what your doing and you’ll be fine , reloading really isn’t that hard . For the effort the rewards are 10 fold. The fun part is working up loads and finding that load that the gun likes. Then after that it’s kinda boring as your just loading go have ammo to shot . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Question......so if we have powder and want to use what we already have.....do we need to match that powder to a specific bullet. Last night Jason looked up the Hogdon Varget powder he got and it said to match with an 80 grain Hdy Gmx bullet. Or can you match thay power with any 80 grain bullet?

No you do not , I assume your looking at data for the 243 ? Heres  some data from Hodgen https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/243-Winchester-Hodgdon-Rifle-Data/7710

No you do not , I assume your looking at data for the 243 ? Heres  some data from Hodgen https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/243-Winchester-Hodgdon-Rifle-Data/7710

Good info thanks. On the Hodgdon website you entered cartridge then bullet weight then powder. After that it gave info on 2 different loads except now it had a specific bullet to go with that data. Seemed odd as I didn’t select an exact bullet just the weight and from what I’ve read so far you go by bullet weight.

d9f463eb60d79e8ecd4c762cecdcd5f3.jpg

1aa5d7359e5720c8611792e6e82247ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Next acquisition....A current quality reloading manual. Do not just try to get by with what you find on line. Speer, Hornady, Nosler, all make a good manual, but in particular Speer is pretty much the industry standard, and covers a very wide range of projectiles. Do NOT take as gospel any recipes that are offered to you. Projectiles/ cartridges are very specific to powders and loads, and I would be very surprised if .243 and 30-06 used the same powders due to the vast difference in case capacities and bullet caliber. The manual will not just give you the appropriate loadings, it spells out how and why for the different procedures. There are no shortcuts to safe and quality loads.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Moho81 said:

That's right you heard me each and everyone of you are a bad influence especially @grampy @Lawdwaz @airedale @mlammerhirt @rob-c and I'm sure many others that I'm forgetting.    

You guy's got me interested in reloading so I started to look around and ask question and look for used equipment. Well last night I stopped at a guys house that was selling some stuff and picked up a RCBS single stage press, misc. brass, tumbler with extra media, 1000 cci large rifle primers and 2 pounds of Hodgons Varget powder. I still have more to purchase before I can start but it looks like I am committed now. 

I mostly just want to reload for my 30-.06 and my daughters .243. @mlammerhirt and myself are working together to work up a light load for the .243 for our kids. If reloading for those goes well maybe I'll start to reload for other calibers. 

So thanks..... I think? 

21 hours ago, grampy said:

You will soon be addicted! But that's a good thing! The more I do it, the more I love it! Quite the thrill to see a whitetail drop in his tracks, from a round you made up yourself!

I spent about a year, gathering up odds and ends, after picking up my press from a forum member. Sounds like you have a good jump on the basics!

I also, during that year read anything I could get my hands on about reloading. Along with 3 or 4 different manuals from the likes of Hornady, Nosler, Federal, and Remington. The help and advice I got from the guys here was invaluable!!! I have a thread that started from the beginning to loading my first rounds that may help you? 

We are all here, and eager to help you get going too. Guys with a ton more experience than I have, will be checking in.

Have fun and good luck!!!

Read as many manuals and articles as you can get.  The more knowledge the better.  You mentioned light loads, always stick to and within the reloading manuals, both minimum & maximum charges, to be safe. Light charges under certain circumstance can be just as dangerous and catastrophic as over charges.  That being said, it is not rocket science and can be very enjoyable.  There is a certain satisfaction that comes from putting together a particular cartridge combination (case/primer/powder/bullet), not commercially available and taking an animal with it!

• Like 1

I used the cold lazy Sunday morning to sort through the miscellaneous brass the guy gave me. It had a bunch of useable stuff for me and a couple reloaders I know as well as a bunch of stuff I’ve never heard of before.
d5fb9dd342eddc7d7cb23b1b814e25fb.jpg
c303f0527271fbb72a3660b7cb26b0e1.jpg

• Like 1

Just added 80 grain Barnes TTSX bullets(50) from Midway along with 58 grain Hornady vmax bullets(100) to our list of materials. This adventure is coming along nicely. Hopefully we will have a few loads worked up by mid February once all the supplies arrive.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy. I’m going to have to start shipping stuff to work and not home.

100 rounds of Barnes TTSX 80grain for the .243. 100 rounds of Hornaday SST 150grain for the 30-06. Lyman 50th edition reloading manual all purchased yesterday and shipped to the house.

I don’t think I have ever spent this much money on hunting in my life time. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

Oh boy. I’m going to have to start shipping stuff to work and not home.

100 rounds of Barnes TTSX 80grain for the .243. 100 rounds of Hornaday SST 150grain for the 30-06. Lyman 50th edition reloading manual all purchased yesterday and shipped to the house.

I don’t think I have ever spent this much money on hunting in my life time. Lol.

Own it .... tell her how much money your saving... you and the family can shoot more often ... family time is priceless.!  In the end reloading is a cheap midlife crisis or a girlfriend.    :whistle:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Gots me a lot of reading to do!
1b8259bf8ce33f5356f015e8dbe1510d.jpg

I have a few manuals, I like comparing load data between my Speer , Hornady , Swift and my Lyman as the Lyman has a broader bullet / load information . Plus I like to use hardcast bullets and Lyman cover’s load data for them in spades . 
And just remember , Its easier to ask forgiveness than permission ^_^…. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2