Deer shanks

rachunter

Today I tried making deer shanks in the instapot. I normally use beef shanks and made the deer shanks the same way. Beef broth with onions cooked for 45 minutes the slow released for twenty. The beef is always fork tender the deer was like a rubber ball. I try to use as much of the deer meat as possible but never again. I’m starting to think that’s what has be funk’n up my ground venison.

Anyone eat them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow…sorry to hear that as it’s one of my favorite meals. I would blame the instaPot!!!

I do mine in cast iron and finish in the oven.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/venison-osso-buco-2313773

I will spend time after cooking removing the larger inedible pieces just to make it more enjoyable

@Otto May have an opinion on this

• Like 2

I brown mine like crappy mentioned and finish in a stew. Easily my favorite cut of meat after back strap. For stew, there is no greater cut of meat for me. After a couple hours on the pot, all the connective tissue breaks down and becomes very tender. I suggest trying it again. If you really don't like them, you can always give them to the dogs 

• Like 2

Today I tried making deer shanks in the instapot. I normally use beef shanks and made the deer shanks the same way. Beef broth with onions cooked for 45 minutes the slow released for twenty. The beef is always fork tender the deer was like a rubber ball. I try to use as much of the deer meat as possible but never again. I’m starting to think that’s what has be funk’n up my ground venison.
Anyone eat them?

I would suggest trying 80 min they will be fork tender… there is a lot more connective tissue in a deer shank

• Like 1

Agree, you didn't cook them long enough. I just made some today and they were awesome. Had them in the slow cooker for 5 hrs. They were delicious and no wasted meat or bone. I am making bone broth tomorrow.

You almost can't overcook them,as long as you don't cook it too hot. Low and slow for the cuts with the most connective tissue. Even the tendons turn soft. Neck needs a little less time,as does shoulder.

I would not grind the shanks without doing serious trimming,I used to but love not having to do that anymore. Saves soo much time.

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Wow…sorry to hear that as it’s one of my favorite meals. I would blame the instaPot!!!

I do mine in cast iron and finish in the oven.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/venison-osso-buco-2313773

I will spend time after cooking removing the larger inedible pieces just to make it more enjoyable

@Otto May have an opinion on this

@Chef already answered! But I’ve never used an instapot (for anything, we don’t have one). Dutch oven is the way to deer shank nirvana.  

• Like 2

[mention=762]Chef[/mention] already answered! But I’ve never used an instapot (for anything, we don’t have one). Dutch oven is the way to deer shank nirvana.  

So I do have one and don’t use it much I agree I would use a Dutch oven.. the only thing I use my Insta pot for is to make yogurt

• Like 1

Chef to the rescue definitely more time what I do is cut around the shanks with a knife then cut with a sawzall but they have to be tied they hold together and cook more evenly I usually do 2 hrs . The problem with pressure cookers once you lock the lid you can’t check the meat or correct the seasoning so I under season then correct @ the end also make sure you add enough liquid that could also be a problem 

Chef to the rescue definitely more time what I do is cut around the shanks with a knife then cut with a sawzall but they have to be tied they hold together and cook more evenly I usually do 2 hrs . The problem with pressure cookers once you lock the lid you can’t check the meat or correct the seasoning so I under season then correct @ the end also make sure you add enough liquid that could also be a problem 

The under seasoning is a good point

I actually debone my shanks-a HUGE sin in the Osso Bucca world but I do it for two reasons.
1-freezer space
2-venison stock which I do use in the OB (so it’s like they are still in there) but also in many other stews and gravies

• Like 1