Slug Guns & Deer Hunting/Rifles Now

Lawdwaz

My grandfather and great uncle scooped up my mossberg 500a from their brother as my first slug gun and i carry it to this day.havent made any changes to it.

Could use a rifle but dont see the need to as most of my shots are within 100 yards.Puts me a bit at ease knowing the projectile coming out is going to drop faster as their is others properties all around us aswell.she barks and knocks em down paired with copper sabot's!

20181208_134342.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, airedale said:

The first half of my hunting life all my Deer hunting was done with various slug guns. My first new gun was a 20 ga Ithaca Deerslayer, went to a 20 ga Remington 1100 with a 2.5 Weaver scope, from there to a model 51 Ithaca Deerslayer semi auto. My final piece is a Winchester Super X Model 1 which I still have. I had Lefever Arms in Lee Center NY make me up a special slug barrel for the Winchester as per one of my gun nut buddys (A Toolmaker) who swore he came up with a tack driving winner. A 28 inch plain barrel was purchased, Lefever cut the barrel to 25 inches and I had them install a set of Browning open sights on it. With the old Remington 7/8 ounce slug I was getting groups at 75 yards with most if not all shots touching. Sent the gun back up to Lefever and had them drill and tap it for a scope base, mounted a straight Leupold 3X and was one happy chappy. Used the Winchester for many years and killed a pile of Deer with it, one of the better ones pictured below. Moved to rifle country back in the mid eighties and that was pretty much it for the Super X1 Winchester, slugs and Deer hunting.

Al

2019-12-11_142418.png

2022-01-13_200021.png

Sweet Perm!

75% of our property is still in SG county. ML is nice for the open areas but SG still rule for alot of the scenarios IMO. Have 20g Ultra Slug with the Bull barrel and laminate thumbhole. Use it often, don't shoot it often though outside season. It is a good piece. So much so I bought a backup that is a safe queen in case something happens to the first. I have not enjoyed any other deer SG I have ever owned. This one fits me like a glove.

started hunting in shotgun country again. I'm right on the border of Wayne and in very rural farm country and 95% of the shots I hear around me in Monroe are for sure rifle. I don't think anyone cares. That said, I'm a rule follower and I'll say the biggest issue I have with my browning isn't the range, there's only one stand I need more range in, but it's the weight. Carrying my rifle is like a bb gun compared to my autoloader lol.

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

So I was thinking of a new thread to take the attention off the crazy covid thread and thought about my slug gun gathering dust all these years.  It's been (IIRC) about 17-18 years since I carried the old 12ga Ithaca DSII.  I quit as I enjoyed carrying the T/C Encore ML'r and killed a few deer with it the first year.  For a number of years I continued to use it then bought the smokeless ML'r and used that until they allowed the use of CF rifles in 2014.  Since then the ML'r is only used during regular season when I hunt Erie County and of course during the late ML'r season and the NEW Holiday Hunt.  :)

So back on track, for those in the western zones that are now hunting rifle country, do you still have your slug gun or did you send it packing?

Do you occasionally use it for nostalgic reasons or could you (like me!) give a flying flip if you ever use it again?

Bonus points for pre-rifle slug gun deer pics......

Just sold mine to another member.  I figured, like you, I am covered with my ML if I hunt a shotgun only county.

Still have and use my browning bps game gun ,for deer  for turkey from time to time and for deer  killed a bunch with It  including my personal best in 2000.  I started talking a gun out of cabinet and use it for the whole season this year was a savage model 99 in 300 savage..  both coyote and buck were taken with it this year... next year will be a  browning blr In 30-06FB_IMG_1641258937216.jpg.df3906a947826eb8f5cffc27885aab9c.jpg2000 buck..

• Like 5

I carry mine from time to time.  I have a few shotguns to choose from. If I plan on walking a lot, Or if I’m home in Onondaga county.  If I’m sitting elsewhere, usually I have the rifle.  Actually killed a doe with the 12ga at Thanksgiving this year….sabot slugs are expensive, woof!

I have an 870 that I won in a gun raffle that I modified for deer hunting. I replaced the barrel with a Mossberg 870 barrel I liked the longer 24 in. I mounted the scope to the receiver then I fitted and screwed the barrel to the receiver. I still hunt Monroe county from time to time.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:58 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I sold my 11-87 with a cantilever barrel a couple years ago. I always regretted it and just yesterday re-acquired it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice, I have that one myself.  Shoots great groups on the range at 100 yards.  I feel confident with it out to 150 at least.  Finding Hornady sabots is the worst part of it.  

It is heavier than my rifles too but I carry it a couple of times a year.  Have a fixed 4 power scope on it. 

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Nice, I have that one myself.  Shoots great groups on the range at 100 yards.  I feel confident with it out to 150 at least.  Finding Hornady sabots is the worst part of it.  

It is heavier than my rifles too but I carry it a couple of times a year.  Have a fixed 4 power scope on it. 

I just saw a pile of Hornaday Sabots 12ga at Runnings on Rte 31 in Clay.  They had at least 50 boxes. 

48 minutes ago, Otto said:

I just saw a pile of Hornaday Sabots 12ga at Runnings on Rte 31 in Clay.  They had at least 50 boxes. 

One of these Saturdays, after it warms up a little, I am going to run up to Lockport, for a shopping trip. It’s good to hear that Runnings has access to those again.  Do they still have a one box limit ? 

I am down to just (14) of those left, so I could definitely use a few boxes.  No big deal if I can’t get them, because I have a very good supply of 16 gauge foster style slugs.  They still work very well, as long as the deer are within about a hundred yards.  

My father doesn't hunt much anymore, but he goes out briefly every year. He brings his single shot 12ga and his .308 each year, and never takes out the .308

The last slug gun I bought (didn't really need either, but nothing new there), I think I shot it once. Took it to the range to sight it in. Doing do so I decided it needed a better recoil pad. Took the gun apart and cut the stock for the thicker pad. That very night I learned the state had changed my  zone to rifle.  All these many years later, the gun is still disassembled and the stock has no pad.  I need to finish it, because, well... I need to finish it. lol But I need to finish it so I can at least take it hunting once. 

I still have one of my grandfather's slug guns I've never fired. Every year I think about taking it to hunt with just because, but I don't because I still own a few rifles I've never hunted with.  I will eventually though, much of where I hunt a rifle or shotgun or pistol, it really doesn't matter terrain/cover wise. My flintlock, I've hunted with a handful of times, but never in muzzle loader season.

Now that I think about it, I have several shotguns I could deer hunt with that have never been and likely won't.

I have an Ithaca 12 ga deer slayer that my father gave my back in 2007 for a Christmas present. I had told him one day that past season when we were in the woods I wanted it willed to me. My mom said give it to him now so you can see him use it. He bought it new on 9/14/73. Paid $79.99 for it.  He had it written on the original owners manual he gave me with the gun.  Had it completely disassembled and all the wood refinished a few years later and put a new scope on it.  Love that gun. Still pull out my Browning BPS 12 ga a couple times a year and my brother uses that opening week when he comes in from California. Would like to get a cantilever barrel for that so I can put a scope on it. The rifled sights and my eyes don’t get along to good anymore. Lol. 

Edited by boo711
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, boo711 said:

wanted it willed to me. My mom said give it to him now so you can see him use it.

Your Mom is wise . Not saying it would happen in your family, but many disputes have happened over who gets what , and what happened to such and such .

11 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Your Mom is wise . Not saying it would happen in your family, but many disputes have happened over who gets what , and what happened to such and such .

The issues will come when it is time to get rid of the Browning Light 12 & sweet 16 with the Belgian barrels. Lol. We all use those now. My one brother is local and doesn’t have a shotgun so if he is going to hunt around here I’ll give him my BPS or even the Ithaca. Switch guns for turkey hunting, bird hunting etc. Hopefully that won’t become an issue. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 3:33 PM, G-Man said:

Still have and use my browning bps game gun ,for deer  for turkey from time to time and for deer  killed a bunch with It  including my personal best in 2000.  I started talking a gun out of cabinet and use it for the whole season this year was a savage model 99 in 300 savage..  both coyote and buck were taken with it this year... next year will be a  browning blr In 30-06FB_IMG_1641258937216.jpg.df3906a947826eb8f5cffc27885aab9c.jpg2000 buck..

:imsohappy:Very nice. I'm a big fan of the Sav 99. There's a group on FB and another on 24hourcampfire dedicated to them. Great guys.

I have a 12 gauge Deerslayer that I used for years, bought a rifled 870, then a rifled Mossberg 695 12 gauge. Used the 695 for a couple of years, and then rifles became legal in the southern tier areas I hunted. Never really felt hampered by having to use slug guns, as most of my southern deer have been shot under 70 yards. Our group always held a yearly contest that allowed folks to use all the legal weapons for all the different seasons, including shotguns since no one wanted to embarrass themselves, they usually  sighted in and practiced with their slug guns.