Frog Hunting

Frog hunting..Awesome. Go to Bashakill marsh in sullivan county. They are loaded and really big. I tease them with my pole and have a blast. I put a plastic worm on and run it along the top of the pods. Good luck and Happy eating!!!

.Just a small piece of red cloth on a barbless hook work's well.

Yup, or red berry, or small fly, or smallest spiner you have. Wave it back and forth in front of there nose (kayak works great but cone works in a pinch - from shore is a little harder).

Frogg Giggin

post-40-0-88331500-1335131340_thumb.jpg

Edited by 5.9cummins

Brings back great memories. As a kid we used bb gun, fishing poles, spears, 22 and hands. We used to cut off the legs, skin em and give them to Gram. She would bread and fry them. Man good stuff!! I might just have to take my son out for some!!

Nice picture 5.9. Hope thats not a recent one here in ny. bass iasn't open yet.

2004 ish

He never said that pic was from this year.

LOL

MY personal favorite is butter with a little salt and pepper wrapped in tin foil over a camp fire. Fried is also good.

• 1 month later...

Went out on Moon lake in Teresa. Ny, last friday. We got 7 nice ones in about 2 hours, lost a couple and missed a lot more. I use a spear that I made from an old serving fork, flattened out and with barbs filed into it. Tried pellet guns before, but found that even with a good hit, they are likely to get away. I coat them in pancake batter (with cajun foreplay seasoning in it), dip them in eggwash, then roll them in italian style bread crumbs and fry them like fish. They are really good.

A homemade frog gig...COOL !...

As far as shooting them, I learned years ago when I was a mere wisp of a lad that the most effective shot placement is right in the middle of the back...Stops 'em in thier tracks every time, better than head shots..Of course, sometimes it is difficult to get the right angle to make that shot..

I like to cook them without a whole lot of extra seasoning, so as not to camoflage the delectable flavor...I simply dust them in four, season lightly with salt & pepper, and sautee' them in butter until they are golden brown..So good it makes you want to SLAP yo MOMMA..!...

• 1 month later...

Finally, had a chance to try frog hunting or should I say frog fishing. Wasn't planning on it but after fishing for four hours with nothing to show for it. I decided to walk the shore line a bit to see if I coud find any. Got five out of the water, three made it to the bag, two got away. Ending up throwing them all back. I would have kept the smaller ones if I was able to hold on to the bigger ones. Funny, I remember the advice of using something red as mentioned above. Didn't have anything red with me. I found a piece of red plastic candy wrapper in the weeds. Worked like a charm. Just shows the benefit of this forum.

Tried it a couple of weekends ago with the airgun. Patrolled the marsh banks for them. Can hear a bunch but can't really see them from the banks. Shot one that looked bigger than it really was. The rest that we saw were obviously too small so we passed up on them. Great experience though. Just fun to hike the outdoors and doing some hunting dur the summer. Saw a groups of deer and a turkey family. Good times even if I got chewed up my mosquitoes.