Wind Chill and Frostbite

CharlieNY

I have to do rear brakes on my truck later today. Normally I just do it outside but today I’ll tuck it in the garage and get the 2 kerosene heaters going for a bit before I start to work.

It will be a tight working area on the drivers side but it’s better than being completely outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto said:

That reminds me, I need to put diesel anti gel in my tractor tank!  I do have a block heater and it’s parked indoors so I might be ok.

I always add that to the diesel  tractor that I use to keep our driveways clear in the winter.  I never had trouble with the fuel jelling in the winter, even though I keep it outside and covered, but exposed to the prevailing wind.

Several years ago, on a real cold day, I lacked the CCA to turn it over.  Hopefully, the new top of the line NAPA Legend battery that I put in it this year, will take care of that issue.  I also put a trickle charger on it.  

It sounds like we are going to get a good snow Sunday night. We don’t get MLK day off at work on Monday, so I guess I will see how or if it starts that morning  I have an old gas tractor for backup in the barn, that always starts with a shot of either if needed.  

I keep the block heater on the outside diesel plugged in and wired to a switch inside the house.  1/2 hour energized is plenty most of the time, but when it gets down close to or below zero, I turn that on for an hour or two prior to start.  

I have never had a fuel issue with that tractor (bought new in 2005), nor have I changed the fuel filter or drained water from the fuel system.  In addition to adding Powerserve anti-gel in the winter, I add a performance mix fuel supplement the rest of the year, to on-road diesel, purchased from a busy station in town.

Wind chill and frostbite have never bothered me out there plowing snow on that open station tractor.  Insulated coveralls, face mask, mittens with hand warmers in them, and arctic boots take care of that.

09B0DE04-4626-4F02-82C7-69F300DAE4BF.thumb.jpeg.d95211445b11d0997d889389c970c8ab.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Another week , here we come . Feb on the East coast March the Gulf . Today is just a reminder to, perhaps add Jan next year .

I do have concerns with our “ kids “ going to the Bills game tonight , I would not go for a $1000 and free tickets .

01043C6E-AF3E-4448-BAC4-4EBE6B02461C.png

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

We still have Global Warming here . It's 6 degrees !

I was thankful that global warming lasted thru the end of the Holiday ML season anyhow .  It was nice being able to hunt in some comfortable temperatures.  It was also cool to finally get to kill a deer from under my tree umbrella, while it was raining, on New Year’s Day.  

It is so damn loud under that thing, with the rain hitting it,  I’d have never believed that would have been possible.  With that rain playing a snare drum on my umbrella, I never heard the big button buck approach, until it popped out of the brush, 20 yards from my tree. 

4CEC5C32-6DAD-40E7-A9A4-A670484DBCE3.thumb.jpeg.88403bfb5f71d4726302fdbc8a03f435.jpeg

10 minutes later:

E9D9158A-AB46-41FD-B80A-7805DF68999C.thumb.jpeg.bc586545378abb37a43bf3bc42293595.jpeg
(note the missing finger condom).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

Wasn’t to bad with cathartt insulted bibs, Jacket and kerosene heater going in the garage. I’d actually say it was comfortable. Now to clean up with a glass of whisky.

5706b682d744a34c8f6c188419359a75.jpg
103876439bd80e231967981a73a343ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres not many better feelings then finishing a vehicle repair on a shit cold day. 

• Like 1

Well I got lucky tractor turned over  and started . Shut it off after a few seconds and set up the heater in the shed . 3 hours later I fired her up and she ran . Added some 911 additive  Topped off with fresh diesel . Ran it up to my bil and back ran for an hour no problem. Thank God I didn't have to do 2 filter change . Yes it was freaking cold driving the tractor down the road .

The never buttoned up my new furnace/ ac install . One guy got covid , then the other went on vacation, came back got covid . They were waiting for a “ warm” day as they need to go on the roof to sleeve the chimney .

yesterday was 40 , it’s 13 now, they’ll be here in an hour ….lol .