Wind Chill and Frostbite

CharlieNY

spent a few weekends in the woods in these temps doing prep work. I've said it a 1000 times, but good gear matters. I had my base layer long underwear, good wool socks, good muck boots and an outer pant and jacket set that I now use for chore work that is both insulated and with a windblocker layer. Throw on some good gloves and good facemask and you should be able to work or hike for a while. 

One thing I did find which was kind of funny as I was clearing trails was that some of the dead tree logs I needed to physically pick up and move were frozen to the ground lol. So I had to kick them to break them free or in some cases they were left for another day.

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

spent a few weekends in the woods in these temps doing prep work. I've said it a 1000 times, but good gear matters. I had my base layer long underwear, good wool socks, good muck boots and an outer pant and jacket set that I now use for chore work that is both insulated and with a windblocker layer. Throw on some good gloves and good facemask and you should be able to work or hike for a while. 

One thing I did find which was kind of funny as I was clearing trails was that some of the dead tree logs I needed to physically pick up and move were frozen to the ground lol. So I had to kick them to break them free or in some cases they were left for another day.

We always have a work day in the woods the first weekend in February. I've never been cold busting ass cutting dragging and hauling firewood around. I'm usually sweating. 

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to always hear people equating wind chill effects on inanimate objects. Statements like, "I wonder if my shrubs will die. The wind-chill is supposed to be -10 degrees". According to the Google definition of wind-chill, the answer to that question really has nothing to do with "wind-chill".......right?

Google definition: The wind chill temperature is how cold people and animals feel when outside. Wind chill is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin caused by wind and cold. As the wind increases, it draws heat from the body, driving down skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature.

I take it from this definition that wind chill only is important as an effect on critters, not cars or trees of any other non-feeling things. I do understand that correctly, don't I?

• Like 1

I seem to always hear people equating wind chill effects on inanimate objects. Statements like, "I wonder if my shrubs will die. The wind-chill is supposed to be -10 degrees". According to the Google definition of wind-chill, the answer to that question really has nothing to do with "wind-chill".......right?
Google definition: The wind chill temperature is how cold people and animals feel when outside. Wind chill is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin caused by wind and cold. As the wind increases, it draws heat from the body, driving down skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature.
I take it from this definition that wind chill only is important as an effect on critters, not cars or trees of any other non-feeling things. I do understand that correctly, don't I?
Yes, you understand correctly. Wind chill doesn't effect trees, rocks, metal etc... They'll still be at what the temperature is.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk