Public Fields--Thoughts On Decoy + " Orange/Blind Placement.

blackbeltbill

I use a cheap Feather Flex Hen Decoy. And,I try to place that Decoy Halfway Down a Field or at either end. Basically that Hen Decoy let's other Field Turkey Hunters- who on entering  that Field know that another Turkey Hunter is already Set-up. 

And you don't  want to put your Decoy out and set up your Blind with or without Orange hanging on it in a area of a Field that has a " island" of Trees sticking  out on the other side of the field. 

Reason being is because a Turkey Hunter just setting up on the other side of the Field will not see your Decoy already set up or your Blind you are calling from- perhaps with some Orange hanging on it because of the Small island of Trees jutting into the Field.

That is why it is safest to put your Hen Decoy Halfway down the Long Side of a Field or on either end. You can see any new Turkey Hunters entering the Field to put their Decoys out and alert them.

They may leave or they may not. I will touch on that later.

What is very common is for Turkey Hunters to set up Blind and put their Hen Decoy out 30 to 50 yards from a Field Corner. Now if that Field has a profound Dip in the Land on the other Side of where the above Turkey Hunter has set up perhaps with a buddy-they won't be able to see another Turkey Hunter setting out his Decoy on the other Side of the Field because of that profound Dip in the Land.

As the morning goes on each of the parties will hear unmoving Hens out of sight and on the other side of the Field . 

Neither party may change Locations once the Gobbling Starts at roughly 45 minutes before Sunrise to roughly 45 minutes after Sunrise.

Years back,I was out with my Brother  in Law- a good Turkey Hunter was around 70 Kills before a work accident stopped all Hunting for him. I had my Decoy set out a good 150 yards down a Field Line. About 1 Hour before Sunrise- another Turkey Hunter walked up the Field Line. Stopped short on seeing my Decoy and continued  on walking within 2 feet of it. 

Morning,I said. No response. Problem was this Guy Plopped down the Field Line no more then 40 yards from my Brother in law and myself.

The 2 Gobblers,I had patterned opened up right where,I knew they were . Now the Guy who walked past us had a Hunting Partner set up around 20 yards off the Field corner  with my Decoy in sight of him down the Field Line.

The 2 Gobblers came into the Field and walked rapidly to my Calling.

The Guy near the Field Corner opened up with 3 Rapid Shots and the Toms had to be at least 70 yards from him. All misses of course.

Not much you can do. They are Legal to be there. Legal- Yes-- Ethical- No. 

Similar analogy to the above was a day that,I was doing Bench Presses. I warmed up and had that bar loaded up to 285lbs. 2 45s on either side- a 25lber + a 5lbs plate on either side.

I left to get a drink of water . Before leaving though,I had my Towel on the Bench with my workout Journal + Pen on the Towel.

Came back 3 minutes later and 3 Young Guys had thrown my Towel + Notebook on the Floor and stripped off the weight plates to 135bs.

Guys,I'm not done yet.  Unfortunately  that behavior  is very common in the Gym. 

The anology  above being that my Towel and Notebook on that Bench sent the message that " someone" is using that Bench and is returning soon.  And a Hen Decoy already set out and seen clearly by the 2 other Turkey Hunters should have sent the message to " move on"

Frankly this Thread is about being pro- active with your safety. Not about any complaints. 

Set out your Hen Decoy halfway down the Long side of a Field or squarely out from the middle of either end of the field and you probably  won't have problems with interference. 

Public Land though is just that and some Guys basically- just don't  care. If you see that attitude- it is probably  best to move yourself. 

For me the Hardwoods and Wetlands,I love- but the pull of the fields is even too much for me. I love those Fields like everyone else and will be there occasionally. 

Stay Safe out There and know that Hunter Numbers are increasing  on Public Lands at least with Spring Turkey Hunting. 

It is all about the Gobbling!   

Looking forward to reading some replys. A few may agree with me- many not and that's  Fine too.

Sounds like bad experience.  Hopefully not too often. Most guys wouldn't do this, also they may have been scouting the same birds. Try to have a conversation may be hunt together or state your case rather than just say hello. Unfortunately Guys are going to hunt how they want. As far as safety goes I would consider leaving the hunt. Better to live to fight again rather than die or be wounded. 

22 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Sounds like bad experience.  Hopefully not too often. Most guys wouldn't do this, also they may have been scouting the same birds. Try to have a conversation may be hunt together or state your case rather than just say hello. Unfortunately Guys are going to hunt how they want. As far as safety goes I would consider leaving the hunt. Better to live to fight again rather than die or be wounded. 

The Thread mostly is for pro active Safety of the many who venture out on Public Dirt during Spring Turkey Season.  Many don't  have a clue. Must be the Teacher in me.