Frozen Windows?

Marion

9 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Really cold out.

But, seriously.  It's cold enough outside that the inside of the  glass is below freezing. The quality of the window and its r value will effect what outside temp this happens at. Also , a high humidity level inside the home will contribute to a larger quantity of ice and or frost.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Also , a high humidity level inside the home will contribute to a larger quantity of ice and or frost.

This^^^

Are you using a ventless propane heater? They put a lot of moisture in the air, and a compromised or lesser quality window in this weather will frost over. 

• Like 3

This^^^
Are you using a ventless propane heater? They put a lot of moisture in the air, and a compromised or lesser quality window in this weather will frost over. 
I think it's a hot water heater unit that's in the buildings apartments. It's a total piece of crap. My money is on the windows are just straight garbage here. I'm just glad I'm renting and never bought the place

https://www.instagram.com/thejerkman

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I dont think they can condensate if they are sealed? 

I think the ice is on the inside (inside the house side of window), vs between the panes.

If the ice is between the panes then it definitely is a broken seal.

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Water vapor is a byproduct of natural gas.  However, the combustion byproducts of burning propane such as CO and water vapor should not be leaking into living space from a hot water heater. 

Jerkman, make darn sure you have good working CO detectors especially if this place was one on the cheap with questionable installation.  Not everyone understands how to do ducting correctly for drafting.  Carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless.  A silent killer.

From a physics perspective, warm air can hold more moisture than cold air.  The glass is at or below freezing point.  (If glass is supposed to be insulated, it's shot) The warmer air in the house containing moisture is hitting glass, condensing and rolling down a bit and freezing toward the bottom.  And oh yeah, those windows suck.

Inside a house there's lots of things that add moisture.  Cooking, showering, and human breathing are top adders.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hueyjazz said:

Water vapor is a byproduct of natural gas.  However, the combustion byproducts of burning propane such as CO and water vapor should not be leaking into living space from a hot water heater. 

Jerkman, make darn sure you have good working CO detectors especially if this place was one on the cheap with questionable installation.  Not everyone understands how to do ducting correctly for drafting.  Carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless.  A silent killer.

From a physics perspective, warm air can hold more moisture than cold air.  The glass is at or below freezing point.  (If glass is supposed to be insulated, it's shot) The warmer air in the house containing moisture is hitting glass, condensing and rolling down a bit and freezing toward the bottom.  And oh yeah, those windows suck.

Inside a house there's lots of things that add moisture.  Cooking, showering, and human breathing are top adders.

He said inside the window , not on the outside.

Condensation forms on the OUTSIDE of windows due to the byproduct of Natural Gas.When there is condensation between the panes ,its generally from the seal going bad ,releasing the gas thats in between .

Natural Gas? Or Jeff’s indigestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No it's hot water heat. My money from this thread seems to be shit insulation and normal humidity paired with freezing cold outside and the perfect storm for condensation and ice inside. When the heat is on it doesn't ice as badly. Still moisture but less ice

https://www.instagram.com/thejerkman

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes