My truck shopping adventure

WNYBuckHunter

Well, I drove the new Tundra today. I came home with a Ram. Well, brought it home until Monday, then I return it or sign the papers. 

The Tundra is noticeably smaller, especially the interior. The big touchscreen is definitely very nice, but that was the only thing I liked about it. It felt more underpowered than my old Chevy, and the ride was good, but not as nice as a Ram. The Ram beats it in every way except the touchscreen. Better power, more room, nicer ride. It’s a lease, so I could care less about long term reliability, although my old Ram gave me very few issues. The fuel mileage isn’t much worse with the Ram. The Tundra I looked at was a double cab, this Ram is a quad cab. There was no way Evan could comfortably fit in the back seat, which means I’d have to go Crew cab with the Tundra, and that forces me into a 5 1/2 foot bed. The Ram has plenty of room in the back seat and I still have a 6 1/2 foot bed. I could order a Crew cab Tundra with a 6 1/2 foot bed, but it’s a minimum 12 week wait. 

I can also get a much better lease deal on the Ram. Toyota is giving no incentives what so ever. I’m still going back and forth in my head with it. We will see. 

ED7E005F-8D2D-4533-BDDB-BA9EC9F097AE.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice truck. I heard the Ram has a great ride. Nice that you got the larger bed. My chevy order is going on 9 months now. Its crazy but it will all work. My buddy is getting me the extended warrantee for free with some other extras. good luck with it.

• Like 1

Love my 2016 Ram quad cab! It's loaded with all the amenities, rides like a dream, sounds like it means business but not offensive. Only complaint I have is the Biden gas prices have pushed my gas bill for going back and forth to work five days a week to about 100$. And, when I had to replace a headlight bulb it required pulling the whole frigging light assembly out of the front of the truck. 

lol. I can laugh now, but having gotten used to just swapping out bulbs in every other vehicle we have ever owned, this was a royal pain in the ass, and had me thinking I might have to hand in my man card and pay someone do it for me.

Replaced it myself and kept my man card!  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

As mentioned, reliability matters none in a lease.  What were the sticker prices of each truck John, and were they comparably equipped?

The Ram is about $10k less. It has 2 less options on it. Heated seats and dual zone heat. I could care less about either of those. $50k vs $59500

45 minutes ago, First-light said:

Nice truck. I heard the Ram has a great ride. Nice that you got the larger bed. My chevy order is going on 9 months now. Its crazy but it will all work. My buddy is getting me the extended warrantee for free with some other extras. good luck with it.

Thanks. Rams definitely ride nice. My old one rode beautifully until the lift went on it. I won’t be doing anything like that with this one. 

What’s the expected date on yours? Sounds like you’re having a baby lol. 

18 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Love my 2016 Ram quad cab! It's loaded with all the amenities, rides like a dream, sounds like it means business but not offensive. Only complaint I have is the Biden gas prices have pushed my gas bill for going back and forth to work five days a week to about 100$. And, when I had to replace a headlight bulb it required pulling the whole frigging light assembly out of the front of the truck. 

lol. I can laugh now, but having gotten used to just swapping out bulbs in every other vehicle we have ever owned, this was a royal pain in the ass, and had me thinking I might have to hand in my man card and pay someone do it for me.

Replaced it myself and kept my man card!  

Lol they are all like that. Even my 2010, you had to pull the whole light on. 

Luckilly I work from home more than half the time. 

11 minutes ago, rob-c said:

With the Ram’s coil spring rear there’s not any truck out there that will beat the ride . Correct me if I’m wrong ,  but the twin turbo 6 didn’t have the low end punch the ram does ? If so that interesting . 

Low end on the Toyota was not good, and it has noticeable turbo-lag. It also has coil spring rear suspension, but the ride is not as nice as a Ram. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Lol they are all like that. Even my 2010, you had to pull the whole light on. 

Not just the light! :  O

You need to open a secret hatch under the wheel well and shove your hand up in there and unlock a latch, then with the hood up you need to unhook the quick clips on the cover over the front of the engine compartment/radiator/etc, and then remove the grill, then several bolts including a couple way down deep in there with a long socket extension in order to pull the whole light assembly out.

Thank goodness for Youtube or I would have been paying someone to do it.

Went smooth enough, but took me about 45 minutes from start to finish.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rob-c said:

With the Ram’s coil spring rear there’s not any truck out there that will beat the ride . Correct me if I’m wrong ,  but the twin turbo 6 didn’t have the low end punch the ram does ? If so that interesting . 

Low end on the Toyota was not good, and it has noticeable turbo-lag. It also has coil spring rear suspension, but the ride is not as nice as a Ram. 

15 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Not just the light! :  O

You need to open a secret hatch under the wheel well and shove your hand up in there and unlock a latch, then with the hood up you need to unhook the quick clips on the cover over the front of the engine compartment/radiator/etc, and then remove the grill, then several bolts including a couple way down deep in there with a long socket extension in order to pull the whole light assembly out.

Thank goodness for Youtube or I would have been paying someone to do it.

Went smooth enough, but took me about 45 minutes from start to finish.   

Yep. It’s crazy. I’d say almost as bad as those cheapo pot metal rings that you used to have to remove to get the big headlight bulbs out. 

Well, I drove the new Tundra today. I came home with a Ram. Well, brought it home until Monday, then I return it or sign the papers. 

The Tundra is noticeably smaller, especially the interior. The big touchscreen is definitely very nice, but that was the only thing I liked about it. It felt more underpowered than my old Chevy, and the ride was good, but not as nice as a Ram. The Ram beats it in every way except the touchscreen. Better power, more room, nicer ride. It’s a lease, so I could care less about long term reliability, although my old Ram gave me very few issues. The fuel mileage isn’t much worse with the Ram. The Tundra I looked at was a double cab, this Ram is a quad cab. There was no way Evan could comfortably fit in the back seat, which means I’d have to go Crew cab with the Tundra, and that forces me into a 5 1/2 foot bed. The Ram has plenty of room in the back seat and I still have a 6 1/2 foot bed. I could order a Crew cab Tundra with a 6 1/2 foot bed, but it’s a minimum 12 week wait. 

I can also get a much better lease deal on the Ram. Toyota is giving no incentives what so ever. I’m still going back and forth in my head with it. We will see. 
ED7E005F-8D2D-4533-BDDB-BA9EC9F097AE.thumb.jpeg.238d5c3cd2a5ff59114998281685134c.jpeg

I drive a ram and love it. I beat the hell out of trucks. My 2019 ram has 80k miles on it. I think I’ve spent 600 on repairs total so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I’ll be curios after the Toyota has been out for a bit to see what  the aftermarket tuners  wring out of the TT6 . 

I drive a ram and love it. I beat the hell out of trucks. My 2019 ram has 80k miles on it. I think I’ve spent 600 on repairs total so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's good to hear...i have a 2017 Nissan Titan that has 72,000 on it and so far has treated me well. I really like the look of some of these new rams....and will be looking once I start pushing 95,000 on the titan.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

ED7E005F-8D2D-4533-BDDB-BA9EC9F097AE.jpeg

How’s the lease deal ? Do you have to pay sticker or are they dickering ?

How many mike and year lease ? 
Are oil changes included ?

Ram is tough to beat in bang for your buck I think. I went back to Ram a few months ago also when I traded my Tundra in. I have no complaints with the Ram yet, other than the mirrors are a bit funky, unless you just leave them in tow mode.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Do you have to pay sticker or are they dickering ?

As my car salesman friend used to say when a guy said ,he’d have to run it by his wife . “ Bring her and and we’ll dicker .” 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thanks. Rams definitely ride nice. My old one rode beautifully until the lift went on it. I won’t be doing anything like that with this one. 

What’s the expected date on yours? Sounds like you’re having a baby lol. 

I told my friend we are having a baby shower in his show room! lol It's in Indiana waiting to be shipped. It has a high priority on it. Hopefully soon!

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 10:14 PM, luberhill said:

How’s the lease deal ? Do you have to pay sticker or are they dickering ?

How many mike and year lease ? 
Are oil changes included ?

We are dickering. They let me take it for a couple of days to see if I really want it. Lease is 3 year 12k per year. No idea if oil changes are included. 

On 1/15/2022 at 10:17 PM, chrisw said:

Ram is tough to beat in bang for your buck I think. I went back to Ram a few months ago also when I traded my Tundra in. I have no complaints with the Ram yet, other than the mirrors are a bit funky, unless you just leave them in tow mode.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Agreed. I left the tows on my 2010 up all the time. I couldn’t get used to them the other way. 

• Like 1