My truck shopping adventure

WNYBuckHunter

We put an order in at work for a new 3/4 ton quad cab with a plow from the local Chevy dealer. It was a state contract, which usually take longer anyways, put in in November/December. Last we heard was that it could be as long as 2023 before they received it. We ended up cancelling the order and buying a new 1 ton they had on the lot this week. 

19 minutes ago, Splitear said:

We put an order in at work for a new 3/4 ton quad cab with a plow from the local Chevy dealer. It was a state contract, which usually take longer anyways, put in in November/December. Last we heard was that it could be as long as 2023 before they received it. We ended up cancelling the order and buying a new 1 ton they had on the lot this week. 

I'm being told might not be any govt incentives by June of this year..... All the big car companies can't fill the orders or their lots now and surely won't want to give concessions and make less.  This is gonna be a mess to catch up on for years.  I had 5 vehicles at work carry over to this year we were supposed to get but they aren't available or even in production. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

You guys that have been truck shopping, I've been hearing that the preferred way to get your truck is to place an order. Has anyone done this and what is the lead time? My lease is up in September and I'm ok just buying it out but if I need to start placing orders instead of empty lot shopping, what kind of lead time are they giving you all? I've never placed an order, i've always bought off the lot or dealer 

Guy at work ordered and F350 in october ,just a got a build date of late February, supposedly to be delivered in march.

• Sad 1

Short of purchasing practices with bids and what not, I think alot of people might be better served doing some research and spending a few hours locating the vehicle on a lot vs ordering at one or two dealers with tunnel vision, and buying into the mystique of the production challenges.

It seems as if the aura of the shortages make finding a vehicle impossible. It's just hard. Not impossible. For any mainstream vehicle. The new vette is not what I would call mainstream so similar situations with low prod. #s aside.

I don't think people leverage the power of communication and effort to get what they need and just take an ambiguous story and believe in it hook line and sinker.

When I got my wife her Prime, I was told ad nauseum that I would never find one on the lot, never get one in less than 6 mos. and be prepared to pay over $5-10K over MSRP. So, maybe I am hard-headed, but I didn't just give up before I started looking. I found import lists on reddit, and called dealerships in rural, right leaning areas with low population centers. I spent about four hours in total, found one on lot, and found four due in by end of January with no deposits and able to be reserved. I reserved one at MSRP. Three of them were willing to sell at MSRP.

Then, next day, lucked into a mutual connection that landed the exact vehicle at MSRP prior to Christmas. Had the car beginning to end in less than two weeks. Fast forward to now, I've since passed the info off to other buyers who bought all but one of the ones I found at MSRP. Less than 30K of these were made worldwide. California dealers are selling them for $80-90K, infamously, vs. the $40-50K MSRP. One of the dealers sent me a $50 referral check, even. For an MSRP deal.

We were also considering a Bronco and did the same thing. A little bit of effort goes a long way. We found three of them, one in Buffalo, and ultimately didn't pull the trigger because of the soft top and lack of hard top not yet available at the time for the 4D. 

I see people talk about being willing to wait for 6 mos. for a vehicle and I can't align with it, if it's not a specialty. Do a few hours of work and see if it pays off. I don't know, maybe I am crazy, but that is just my take.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, phade said:

Short of purchasing practices with bids and what not, I think alot of people might be better served doing some research and spending a few hours locating the vehicle on a lot vs ordering at one or two dealers with tunnel vision, and buying into the mystique of the production challenges.

It seems as if the aura of the shortages make finding a vehicle impossible. It's just hard. Not impossible. For any mainstream vehicle. The new vette is not what I would call mainstream so similar situations with low prod. #s aside.

I don't think people leverage the power of communication and effort to get what they need and just take an ambiguous story and believe in it hook line and sinker.

When I got my wife her Prime, I was told ad nauseum that I would never find one on the lot, never get one in less than 6 mos. and be prepared to pay over $5-10K over MSRP. So, maybe I am hard-headed, but I didn't just give up before I started looking. I found import lists on reddit, and called dealerships in rural, right leaning areas with low population centers. I spent about four hours in total, found one on lot, and found four due in by end of January with no deposits and able to be reserved. I reserved one at MSRP. Three of them were willing to sell at MSRP.

Then, next day, lucked into a mutual connection that landed the exact vehicle at MSRP prior to Christmas. Had the car beginning to end in less than two weeks. Fast forward to now, I've since passed the info off to other buyers who bought all but one of the ones I found at MSRP. Less than 30K of these were made worldwide. California dealers are selling them for $80-90K, infamously, vs. the $40-50K MSRP. One of the dealers sent me a $50 referral check, even. For an MSRP deal.

We were also considering a Bronco and did the same thing. A little bit of effort goes a long way. We found three of them, one in Buffalo, and ultimately didn't pull the trigger because of the soft top and lack of hard top not yet available at the time for the 4D. 

I see people talk about being willing to wait for 6 mos. for a vehicle and I can't align with it, if it's not a specialty. Do a few hours of work and see if it pays off. I don't know, maybe I am crazy, but that is just my take.

No freaking doubt!! A lot of people just follow suit and don’t think.

I still drive my 2013 f-150 with 185k, id like to upgrade but I’m not really interested in dropping my pants at the dealership door. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phade said:

Might work for some makes and models, but This spring I searched every Chevy dealer within 250 miles for a 2500/3500 crew cab LT.  None to be found.  Single cabs, cab and chassis, or top of the line trim levels were the only thing I could find, and they weren't plentiful.  Ordered my truck May 18th, and I'd check every few days to see if one was available at other dealers, with no luck.  Picked up my new Chevy November 24.  

• Like 1

Toyota of Batavia called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to buy one. Three arrived on lot yesterday. One 21, two 22. 

It's really not that hard to find them. Same with 4Runners. I know you waited for yours, but get the import list from reddit, look at the list and the letter statuses. Dealers can't reserve vehicles until allocation and can't complete the sale process until G status update in their order system, which consumers can access. You can find all of this out within minutes for the most part. It gives you a list to call on. 

26 minutes ago, Zag said:

No freaking doubt!! A lot of people just follow suit and don’t think.

I still drive my 2013 f-150 with 185k, id like to upgrade but I’m not really interested in dropping my pants at the dealership door. 

And the used car market is even worse , like the housing market

My truck has been on order for 6 weeks . We will see when i get it  . As far as checking around  my BIL,is my salesman.  He looked for weeks before we decided  to build a truck. He has a lot of contact on east coast  central states as his specialty is up fitting comercial trucks and fleets.

The chip shortages is real.  Toyota wasn't as effected as bad as they make there own chips . That's the only way Toyota was the number one vehicle  manufacturer for the year . However now the parts they don't make is slowing there  production down .

My build date on my truck is February 14th. I would like to have it a few weeks after but I'm not holding my breath .

4 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

My truck has been on order for 6 weeks . We will see when i get it  . As far as checking around  my BIL,is my salesman.  He looked for weeks before we decided  to build a truck. He has a lot of contact on east coast  central states as his specialty is up fitting comercial trucks and fleets.

The chip shortages is real.  Toyota wasn't as effected as bad as they make there own chips . That's the only way Toyota was the number one vehicle  manufacturer for the year . However now the parts they don't make is slowing there  production down .

My build date on my truck is February 14th. I would like to have it a few weeks after but I'm not holding my breath .

My truck was built in August. Sat in a lot waiting for chips until it shipped in early November. 

56 minutes ago, phade said:

Toyota of Batavia called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to buy one. Three arrived on lot yesterday. One 21, two 22. 

It's really not that hard to find them. Same with 4Runners. I know you waited for yours, but get the import list from reddit, look at the list and the letter statuses. Dealers can't reserve vehicles until allocation and can't complete the sale process until G status update in their order system, which consumers can access. You can find all of this out within minutes for the most part. It gives you a list to call on. 

You are right .but you gotta be fast if it pops up .They are gone as fast as they come in I feel like .

2 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

that’s about going rate . The other car I just got put on the list for, It will come in as a 23 or 24.A year and a half Wait

well i can understand the vette. even pre-covid there was a long wait for those bad boys. Trucks though, as common as they are. This sucks. 

Lets Go Brandon!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, luberhill said:

I see you completely missed my point but that’s ok .

Ive heard of issues with every brand , and when one brand makes millions more of a product than another I more than expect to see more issues with that brand .

Only makes sense …

This had nothing to do with a car shortage , it had to do with lack of customer service .

Its ok , let’s just drop it :)

Enjoy the day 

I get what you're trying to say. You're trying to say that because ford makes 800k trucks a year, that they'll get more issues due to shear numbers. And due to Toyota only selling about 100k trucks a year, they'll have less due to less volume. Decent thinking, but you cant just look at trucks if you're going to do that. You have to look at both companies as a whole. As a whole Toyota vehicles are better than ford vehicles when it comes to reliability. We're not just saying Toyota makes more reliable trucks, were saying they make more reliable vehicles.

Toyota does not focus on trucks so using the truck only sales numbers is not comparing apples to apples. If you want to look at numbers, Toyota makes more vehicles and with less issues than ford. Your only argument is completely flawed because if you want to look at the big picture, it only supports what literally everyone here is trying to say. The reason for looking at all vehicles instead of just trucks is Ford really only sells trucks. So trucks is the whole picture for Ford, but trucks is not the whole picture for Toyota. To be apples to apples you have to look at everything if you want to bring numbers into it.

So by your own words, Toyota should have a lot more issues than ford due to volume...except it does not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phade said:

I'm having a hard time getting a test drive for one. I had one, but they refused to let me test drive it after I came into the dealership

1 minute ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I'm having a hard time getting a test drive for one. I had one, but they refused to let me test drive it after I came into the dealership

I seen they just just had a trail edition 4 runner posted online that came in yesterday.I called and they were customers that had ordered ,and already sold .So thats their ploy for you to call them LOL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

I seen they just just had a trail edition 4 runner posted online that came in yesterday.I called and they were customers that had ordered ,and already sold .So thats their ploy for you to call them LOL.

I just emailed and refused to give my number. I told them to let me know when one comes in and thats what they did. I did physically see it and it was for sale, but they must have thought I wouldn't buy. I wasn't going to, but they had no way of knowing. The reason this was for sale was because the guy who ordered it backed out due to him finding one in Arizona and buying that before this one came in. They didn't want me to know that, but eventually I figured it out when talking to the salesman

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Quick update for all who don’t care LOL .My Build time went from 1 1/2 years ,to being  built by this April .Dealer was selling their allocations for 5k over Msrp .I figured by the time I was up to order ,prices will have gone up regardless .

So did you pay 5k adm?  Is this on the vette?

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So did you pay 5k adm?  Is this on the vette?

Yes and yes .It took me a day to think about it .I looked at the used 21’ market ,and it was a no brainer.I’ll keep my name on the list for down the road also .I would not pass up a good offer ...

Edited by WNYTRPR