WWII 1911A1

Chef

I debated getting on the list for a CMP 1911.  I just couldn't get used to the uncertainty of it all.  I decided I'd rather pay more at a gun show and see what I was getting.

Looks like you got a nice gun though.  Have you taken it out yet?

I will say I have bought rifles from them before and this is my first pistol as you can only buy one.

I have yet to be disappointed. My last rifle was so nice many on the CMP have said it should have went to the auction site. It was a Winchester receiver Lead. Rebuild that looked like it hadn’t been touched.

You will always be able to get more for a CMP gun than you paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've collected military firearms since the early 70's.  I even had an FFL until the so call Safe act.  I read all 30 or so pages of it and decided to drop my FFL.  I didn't trust Andy

For those of you drooling over what Chef got I highly recommend you check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program. 

There are a few simple qualifications you must meet or do and most of you meet them already.  You will get a firearm with history.  And oh, those of you that spend thousands on fancy rifles really owe it to themselves to shoot a 1903 Springfield or a Garand that's tuned.  I do hunt with a Swiss K31.  My guns aren't closet queens.

Chef

That's a beauty.  I really don't collect pistols, but it would be hard to pass that one up.  Enjoy it in good shooting and I'm envious.  If the Garand was the greatest rifle of WWII; the 1911 was the greatest pistol of WWI and WWII.  Everybody wants a German luger.  In my experience they are jam city.  Not the 1911

I've collected military firearms since the early 70's.  I even had an FFL until the so call Safe act.  I read all 30 or so pages of it and decided to drop my FFL.  I didn't trust Andy
For those of you drooling over what Chef got I highly recommend you check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program. 
There are a few simple qualifications you must meet or do and most of you meet them already.  You will get a firearm with history.  And oh, those of you that spend thousands on fancy rifles really owe it to themselves to shoot a 1903 Springfield or a Garand that's tuned.  I do hunt with a Swiss K31.  My guns aren't closet queens.
Chef
That's a beauty.  I really don't collect pistols, but it would be hard to pass that one up.  Enjoy it in good shooting and I'm envious.  If the Garand was the greatest rifle of WWII; the 1911 was the greatest pistol of WWI and WWII.  Everybody wants a German luger.  In my experience they are jam city.  Not the 1911

Very cool and I agree with the purchasing from the CMP. Unfortunately a lot of the rifle availability has dwindled. I may try and make a drive to camp perry this summer and make one last rifle purchase before they dry up.

As far as German Lugers go they are a beautiful gun but no where near as reliable as a 1911

Also If you ever want to sell anything from your collection please reach out to me. I’m always in the market

• Like 1

I used to always be in the market too, but wife and family commitments came more often in my younger days.  Now I have the time and resources, but the market has really dried up.  The golden age of collecting Milsurps was the 70's and early eighties.  Even what the CMP carries now doesn't hold a candle to my Greek and Danish Garands that I often only paid $300 for or built from parts kits.  And if it didn't shoot that it didn't stay.  Everyone should experience Ping!  Enemy at the Gates, why I'm ready for both sides

My collection does better in advancing wealth than does my stock holdings.  I relish another good WWII movie.  It's always good for a 10% increase.  Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan were very good to me.  And oh, they aren't for sale and are in will.  But they are really fun to watch a good war movie with until then    :-)

Don't mean to hijack your thread Chef but milsurps are a passion of mine.  Dad was Battle of Bulge veteran.    

• Like 1

I used to always be in the market too, but wife and family commitments came more often in my younger days.  Now I have the time and resources, but the market has really dried up.  The golden age of collecting Milsurps was the 70's and early eighties.  Even what the CMP carries now doesn't hold a candle to my Greek and Danish Garands that I often only paid $300 for or built from parts kits.  And if it didn't shoot that it didn't stay.  Everyone should experience Ping!  Enemy at the Gates, why I'm ready for both sides
My collection does better in advancing wealth than does my stock holdings.  I relish another good WWII movie.  It's always good for a 10% increase.  Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan were very good to me.  And oh, they aren't for sale and are in will.  But they are really fun to watch a good war movie with until then    :-)
Don't mean to hijack your thread Chef but milsurps are a passion of mine.  Dad was Battle of Bulge veteran.    

I don’t think this is a hijack at all, it’s why I posted in the first place.

I agree the surplus market has dried up. It’s crazy what a can of HXP goes for these days.

I wasn’t expecting your entire collection to be for sale… but If you had a K98 or carbine your wanted to part with!

As far as another Great War movie I wish. Band of brothers is amazing I have watched it probably 10 times. Maybe I’ll start again and watch with my 1911

Well, if you like Band of Brothers than you need to check out Tae Guk Gi (2004) Brotherhood of War.  It's a South Korean movie about the Korean conflict as seen from a South Korean perspective.  It's rich with Garands.  Normally I just don't have the patience to watch a dubbed movie.  I'm old, I recall the original Godzilla movies.  Those hurt to watch but this is fairly well done.

As far as my collection, what happens to it did begin to worry me as none of us knows when their time is up.  My wife is not in tune with the value of things.  The stories I can tell you what I've pulled from trash.  Oh, that old thing?!?!   And the vultures out there that rob unknowing widows.  Oh, I gave you a $100 for that old Garand

In the beginning of the pandemic, I was stuck home for three weeks.  I took the time to organize, catalog, and associate current values of all the guns and place it into a gun database.  I used NM Collector.  Son in Law got a flash drive of this and there's a copy in one of the safes along with detailed instructions.

Meanwhile SIL gets a gun every Christmas.  In 100 years, he might get them all.  (I plan to live a long time.)  And if you haven't yet, a K98 is a decent deer rifle.    8mm is really close to 308.  Only alteration I make is I put on a Mojo aperture sight on.  This can easily be reverted back.  I'm not the guy you talk to about "sporterizing" your gun.  I'm the guy the un-does your work.  To each his own but I do my best to maintain history.

• Like 1

Well, if you like Band of Brothers than you need to check out Tae Guk Gi (2004) Brotherhood of War.  It's a South Korean movie about the Korean conflict as seen from a South Korean perspective.  It's rich with Garands.  Normally I just don't have the patience to watch a dubbed movie.  I'm old, I recall the original Godzilla movies.  Those hurt to watch but this is fairly well done.
As far as my collection, what happens to it did begin to worry me as none of us knows when their time is up.  My wife is not in tune with the value of things.  The stories I can tell you what I've pulled from trash.  Oh, that old thing?!?!   And the vultures out there that rob unknowing widows.  Oh, I gave you a $100 for that old Garand
In the beginning of the pandemic, I was stuck home for three weeks.  I took the time to organize, catalog, and associate current values of all the guns and place it into a gun database.  I used NM Collector.  Son in Law got a flash drive of this and there's a copy in one of the safes along with detailed instructions.
Meanwhile SIL gets a gun every Christmas.  In 100 years, he might get them all.  (I plan to live a long time.)  And if you haven't yet, a K98 is a decent deer rifle.    8mm is really close to 308.  Only alteration I make is I put on a Mojo aperture sight on.  This can easily be reverted back.  I'm not the guy you talk to about "sporterizing" your gun.  I'm the guy the un-does your work.  To each his own but I do my best to maintain history.

Funny you say that I picked up a sporterized G98/40. I picked it up for around $100. Found out the extractors on them are quite valuable and sold it for 350.

I have some 8mm ammo laying around eventually I’ll pick up a K98 unless you want to sell me a shooter lol

Nice looking  1911.  

Buddy of mine has MANY WWII Remington 1911. Many never issued, but with all the proof marks and holsters/clip. His father and both of uncle's worked for Remington during the war. I've seen a tiny example of his collection and that was rather impressive. He even claims to have one on the Remington M1 receivers that were made, but Remington never got the contract IIRC.  

If he does indeed have a Remington M1 receiver.  That would be one of the rarest pieces of Garand history and worth incredible money.  The only equals to this would be found at the Springfield Armory Museum in Springfield MA of the original Springfield Garands. 

Most of the armory is now a community college but there still a building that operates as a free museum that's quite good.

38 minutes ago, hueyjazz said:

If he does indeed have a Remington M1 receiver.  That would be one of the rarest pieces of Garand history and worth incredible money.  The only equals to this would be found at the Springfield Armory Museum in Springfield MA of the original Springfield Garands. 

Most of the armory is now a community college but there still a building that operates as a free museum that's quite good.

I don't doubt him, but I've never seen it. I know others that know him better than I, that have seen a lot more of his collection, then I have, and were absolutely blown away.  His late father and uncle's left all of their collections to him. 

Just some pics of stuff you might like… Winchester lead rebuild and a nambu pistol my wife’s grandfather brought back from WWII for the pistol I have a spare mag and the leather holster too

a08dc439f98390f74cdb16c29b5735db.jpg
2ec044a5cf4fed058b1081e22c28f104.jpg
c8b3faeaeb29d00510cd7bb5d9f4e1bb.jpg
c8d4b9784006021bdd4bfecb8982e633.jpg
338442c6997fd2e3a6308485b8e7a0ff.jpg
24536069bacd5159f581ff8849262a9f.jpg

• Like 3

Picked this up today from a lady who is moving her father brought it home with him.

18ce4ba5e3ce0eddc67e8314dd43dde0.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 9:27 PM, Chef said:

Very cool and I agree with the purchasing from the CMP. Unfortunately a lot of the rifle availability has dwindled. I may try and make a drive to camp perry this summer and make one last rifle purchase before they dry up.

As far as German Lugers go they are a beautiful gun but no where near as reliable as a 1911

Also If you ever want to sell anything from your collection please reach out to me. I’m always in the market

I need to get on that before they dry up as well! I always wanted a ww2 Garand 

I need to get on that before they dry up as well! I always wanted a ww2 Garand 

The WWII garands are pretty much gone they are selling rebuilds.. but I can point you in the right direction

• Like 1

ATbuck
If you want a Garand that will be a piece of history, shoots well, is fun and will always be worth more than you paid for it.........Get a Garand from CMP!
Ordering Information - Civilian Marksmanship Program (thecmp.org)

But go look at what is available to order you can’t even get a true rack, service or field grade any more.

They all seem to be this “special” designation where they are CMP rebuilds with modern parts not even Arsenal rebuilds.

He is almost better of joining the CMP forum and looking in the WTS section ?

No ?